Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi- I just bought a 2001 focus SE from a private party about a month ago. It was a Ztec transplant that the previous owner had done. I should of stayed clear when he mentioned that " if it doesn't shift right, it will need a $50 solenoid ( A ) from Ford- it's a common problem". Seemed like a nice little car, low mileage and in great shape. It drove fine for the 1st 20 miles and then I wasn't sure if it would make it home. It intially would screw up on 50% of the time, now all the time.
It starts out and tachs out a little until 20 mph and then shifts into 3rd but immediately revs up like it's slipping. I let off the gas and it seems like it can't decide what gear to go into. When I gradually get up to 40 mph, it's fine, but then kicks in and out of overdrive constantly at highway speeds.
I took it to 2 transmission shops that each spent a day and a half on it. The 1st shop said at 1st that it was something electrical but changed it's mind to internal. The 2nd shop, that seemed to now it's stuff, said that it's not internal, that the solenoids are working correctly but are being told to do things strangley. They said possibly a TPS because they saw a glitch in the scope. They suggested to take it to Ford. Ford spent 6 hours on it with no answer in sight. They reprogramed the original PCM and also a used PCM I had left in the car. They said could be a programing issue.
These are the things I have tried-
1- new tps
2- new TSS- torsion speed sensor
3 - different PCM
4- New A solenoid 5. new 6 pack of solenoids
Can't find any wiring issues- have computer wiring all on wrapped laying on the floor of the car. No transmission codes.
The car had a Diablo sport chip in the computer, it also has a header put in place of the manifold/ converter. Someone also blocked off where the EGR once was. Since Ford reprogramed, I get a low tps code 1120 and 1121, also a 1401- egr excessive psi. I'm assuming the egr code was taken out of the parameters with the chip and now put back in with Ford. When I 1st got the car, he had hotwired the cooling fan to the hotwire of the ignition coil. I would shut off the key and the engine would run another 5 seconds. I fixed with a new fan resistor. Works fine now, but wondering if that could had caused any issues. Ford said that it the PCM wasn't comunicating with the transmission. ANYONE OUT THERE- please help.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I just bought another Focus with an SPI motor and was reading up about the Zetec swap. There was some discussion about the SPI ATX not being compatible with the new Zetec ECU. Seems most would swap tranny along with motor.
Was your car originally equipped with the SPI or Zetec? 8th digit in the VIN will tell you.
3=Zetec
P=SPI
Was the tranny swapped when they did the motor swap?
Maybe ask this question in the Engine/Tranny Swap section.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To Alzfocus- My car was a spi car. When Ford looked at it, they confirmed that the ztec,transmission and PCM all match. Can't see any broken or bare wires. Previous owner patched in wiring harness, about 6 wires, but going back to the rear of the car along side the passenger seat. Those wires look fine too- all soldered and taped. Only thing besides the cooling fan (now repaired) that looks jerry rigged is the positive cable going from the battery to the starter was soldered together. Sorry didn't put this into tranny engine forum- wasn't sure but will get the hang of this. Thankyou.

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
It sounds more like Solenoid b to me. A controls overdrive. It is kind of a PITA but you could confirm it by dropping the pan, switching solenoid a & b and seeing if the slip moves out of low gears into overdrive.

The other thing to confirm with the tranny open would be the electrical connections are all solid.

Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I originally bought a new "A" solenoid to no avail and then tried putting my old A solenoid in the B solenoid location. They both seemed to ohm out the same. The last thing I did was to replace all 6 solenoids, to have a least a good knowen. Ford said I was feeling the converter lockup and disengage. That the converter wasn't getting any signal to it, or should I say the solenoid that controls lockup. They didn't mention anything about my 2-3 shift, although that was the main reason for bringing it there. Seems weird that it would lock up at all if it wasn't getting a signal. I do know that before I installed a new tps and before bring it to Ford it seemed to act up between 30 and 40mph instead of 20 to 30 mph. I since reinstalled old tps but it stayed a the lower mph. I think I bought a boat anchor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts