Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week my wife’s car (2000 Se 200km's) started to rev up going in to 3rd gear. Does not fell like its slipping but more like missing the gear.

I did a search and it seems like the older foci have problems with the shift solenoids, and I assuming this is most likely the problem. Would I be correct?

Has any one ever changed them? Could you give me a run down to whats involved?

Thanks,
Dave

·
I.S.A.I.K.I.
5,413 Posts
Rep point for using the search button for you! The thread you linked is probably the best thread to use on diagnosing the problem, though at some points in the descriptions you feel like you just want to yank your own hair out...lol

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
The Solenoidin the valve body is gone, needs to be fix.
Find out how much to get fix or call Lentch and theres cost $445.

Rob

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Still having problems with the shift between 2nd and 3rd and i have not had a code yet.

I have replaced the A solenoid (twice thinking I may have got a bad one) and it did help but it still misses when it is cold.

The second time it was replaced I had a my mechanic put the solenoid in because I did not have the time and worked great for about a week then it started missing again.

What should I try next? Also is this harming the tranny at all?

Thanks,
Dave

·
12 years strong
6,882 Posts
well if u dont throw a code, then there is no way it could be a solenoid. if it was electrical, it would throw a code. mine is in the tranny shop now gettin a complete overhaul for kinda the same reason. when it would wanna shift into 3rd, it would feel like it would slip or hesitate, and then go into gear. it was much more so if i had the gas about 1/2 way to 3/4 of the way down. the mechanic said he wouldnt know for sure what it was until he actually got in there and looked. he said most likely the clutches were glazed over. so i just said screw it and do a complete overhaul on the tranny.

·
MyCarBreaksAlot
8,609 Posts
^That's kinda what I was thinking. If it was a solenoid it would be showing a code. And just curious, what was the mileage on your tranny when you rebuilt? I probably need to start saving lol. Althought I got the lentech valve body at 60k so I might have less clutch wear.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I had a similar problem for about a year. What made it wierd was that the problem would come and go. And it didn't immediately throw a code. Instead, it would act up and if I drove it long enough, I'd get a CEL. I first changed an "A" solenoid and then did the "C" solenoid. Right about that time I got an SCT flasher with a tune set for "aggressive shifting" and I've never had a problem since. I don't know if it was the "C" solenoid or if the tune fixed it. Just some stuff to consider before you go for a complete overhaul.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts