Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! Need some advice with this one really want to make my 2002 zx3 a manual but have no clue where to start and even if its worth it. I know im going to have to get things such as the trans its self pedals shifter things but dont know if ill need a new ecu which i figure i would but please let me know thanks guys!

-Mikey

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
My personal opinion? Just look for another car that's manual, especially with the age of your car. I'm sure others will chime in to do the swap though.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Depends on your goals for the car. A trans rebuild may be something you were already planning....
It may be difficult to find manual car in as good of condition as your current car.
Its not too dofficult of a project if you are comfortable with pulling a trans. You will need lots of bits and pieces from a wrecking yard.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am also looking into a tranny swap. What sort of bits and pieces would I need? And how much would it cost? Pretty new to "under the hood" car work, so laymans terms are appreciated.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Read some of the old threads here on doing this, it's quite involved for a novice.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I'll second that, having done this myself it's a bit involved for a novice. Parts list for the zetec mtx swap is much more complicated, even the mtx swap on the duratec is a bit involved but much easier. There is a thorough write up for the swap in the how to section for the zetec

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've done a manual swap. It wasn't that bad but not super cheap. There's always parts you forget, and it is VERY involving.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts