Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like to set my climate control on auto and set the desired temp as this controls the fan direction and speed. I just started using the heat in the mornings. If I choose auto, it still says AC On. I can manually turn off the ac at this point. Is it supposed to do this, and is it ok to leave it with AC On?

·
Registered
772 Posts
When the outside temperature gets below a certain threshold, it will display "A/C OFF". I always cycle mine with the A/C button (even in auto mode) just to make sure it's off when I don't need it in cooler temps.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Because the A/C is still conditioning the air, probably removing humidity, or something.
Yes, defrost can use the A/C to remove humidity from the air. When the recirculation mode is switched on, or when climate is turned off, the windows can fog on the inside. If the windows begin to fog up, switching off the air recirculation mode should clear interior window fogging. If interior window fogging persists, enable the air conditioning in climate to remove humidity.

I recommend leaving A/C off since it will probably hurt fuel efficiency.

EDIT: Or maybe not... random forum says "On most cars, the A/C compressor is cycled when in the defrost position in order to keep the refrigerant oil circulated through the system. To "exercise"� the compressor, so to speak. The cycle time is short, so the affect on fuel consumption is minimal."

And in that case, I'm not sure if us turning off the A/C does anything or not.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I have been manually turning off A/C as well when I use auto since it's been getting colder (50s-70s). I should just leave it on and let it do its thing (from what I gather here)?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hi, the CC, not A/C, doesn't switch on below 4c and it doesn't indicate it is turned off.
Chris

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
I have been manually turning off A/C as well when I use auto since it's been getting colder (50s-70s). I should just leave it on and let it do its thing (from what I gather here)?
Meh - I'm gonna leave it off.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I'm still looking for a definitive answer myself. The Owner's Manual is somewhat vague on this. I leave it in auto mode for climate and always see the AC On message. Now that it is cooler out I get in my car with the interior temp set at, for example, 68 F and the outside temp is 50 F. While driving, it still feels like the vents are releasing cool air. If I crank up the heat, then it seems like warm air is coming out but the AC On message remains. I assumed that AC On meant it was conditioning (not necessarily cooling) the air as well, removing humidity and so on, but I don't seem to notice it working overly hard to heat the cabin to the temp I have set.

Anyone know what it is really doing on these settings?

·
Registered
967 Posts
I just leave mine on. Ive even noticed warm air from the right drivers vent mixing with cool air from the left drivers vent to get to the temp I like...its kinda neat.

Sent from my Telus Samsung Galaxy S Fascinate

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I just hit the smaller fan button and the system turns on how I want it to (aka how I left it with my last settings I had it on) If I have/had the heater on, the a/c doesn't come on, if I left it with a/c on, then obv it comes on. that's how i deal. =) Works perfect.
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
It is 9C (48F) here and in the Auto mode, the AC didn't engage. It stayed OFF and it says A/C OFF on the board.

·
Registered
109 Posts
In our Cadillac, the A/C stays on. Actually, if you turn it off, it takes the car out of Auto mode. I assume that the ford is designed the same, they just allow manual override of the A/C while staying in Auto mode.

The A/C is used for more than just cooling the air. The system monitors air quality in the cabin including humidity. Say its the middle of winter, and the car is nice and warm inside, and 4 people jump in the car just after basketball practice. Sweating and hot. The system will use the A/C to bring down humidity in the cabin even though its 4 degrees outside.

The system knows when to run the compressor and when not to. I would just leave it alone as this is how most automatic climate controls work.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I've been watching the AC behavior in mine pretty closely, specifically because I thought my gas mileage wasn't living up to expectations. It took a while for me to realize the AC was on when using the defrost that I always leave on. I've ran through two tanks of gas without ever turning the defrost on or AC on and my gas mileage doesn't seem to be any better or worse than it was with the defrost on full time.

·
Registered
155 Posts
We've had a few cold days here. I've found that when I have the auto temperature set to 68-70F, A/C typically turns off around 52F as reported in the dash. I don't know whether that's just a coincidence or it's actually linked to external temperature, but it actually seems about right to me. The other morning, it read 57F and AC stayed on.

a351must2, I had the same experience with my previous car. Every claimed that AC lowered fuel milelage, but I always got exactly the same on or off. Only thing that ever seemed to make a difference was the temperature outside... With the new Focus I'm getting 28-29mpg on average. Not exactly encouraging considering most commute is mostly highway and I'm pretty light-footed. Oh well.

·
Registered
27 Posts
In my 2007 Mazda 5, in auto mode I can't turn the A/C off without turning the automatic climate control off., but I can hear the A/C compressor when I'm idling and it really only engages when say the outside temperature is warm enough, or when the sun is shining. They reprogrammed the automatic climate control for the 2008+ Mazda 5s so the A/C can be overridden off without turning off the automatic climate control and thankfully Ford's done the same thing with the Focus so it seems.

If say I set the temp at 72F and it's 68F at night, the A/C won't turn on, but if it's sunny (there's a sunlight detector), the automatic climate control may determine that A/C is required to keep the car cool.

The A/C is also on during defrost mode. I noticed on cool dry mornings, the A/C may be inadvertently left on because the automatic climate control is trying to dehumidify the air and it gets way too dry in the cabin. Luckily this doesn't happen very often, because it rains too much in Vancouver Canada. Er...

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have a Silverado with the auto climate and it does pretty much what is desribed by the other posters. The ac stays on for defrost in auto mode if the temp is above 32 F outside temp, below that if turns off. If I turn it off it goes out of auto mode. I get pretty much the same milage with or without the ac on, but it is a diesel with a good size tune in it and the engine dosen't even know the compressor is on. Atleast with the auto climate you can turn off the AC in defrost mode. On other cars without the auto climate you can't turn off the AC on defrost.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I turned on my A/C while I had the automatic climate control on. The outside temperature was 35 degrees, faihrenheit. The A/C automatically turned off, and displayed that it was off. I also realized that the heat wouldn't turn on until the engine temperature was up to the running temperature. Which to us Focus Fanatics makes sense, but, to the "common man" may cause some cursing and swearing at Ford's electronics.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts