Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all: I'm new to the forum, so I beg your apologies if I ask any questions that sound dumb. [:I]

I have a 2003 sedan, no power options, except for an automatic transmission.

I recieved a remote starter as a Christmas gift. The brand is CodeAlarm, but I can't remember the model - it has like 3 dozen features.

(I was kind of hoping for jewelry, but this is what happens when you date Mr. Practical.)

The box was wrapped up with a business card for me to call for an install appointment, which is in a couple weeks. Any thoughts or suggestions from others about how to get the best use outta this?

I don't have power locks or windows, so I guess I won't be able to use that feature (which is OK) but I really want to know if I'll be able to get rear defrost. The whole point of the gift was that I absolutely hate scraping snow off my car.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Prior to shutting off your engine, you can leave the defrost system on. Then when you remotely turn on your car, the system will automatically activate. Most new cars have an electronic rear defrost which means the autostart won't be able to automatically engage it when you start your car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
auto start, but not auto defrost!

hotfocus said:
Most new cars have an electronic rear defrost which means the autostart won't be able to automatically engage it when you start your car.

That's what I was thinking about - that extra button you have to push to turn on the rear defrost. So, I'm still going to end up scraping the back window.

Darn.

·
Focus Enthusiast
2,208 Posts
turn it on and let it warm up for 15 mins or so and you'll probably be fine or you can put the rear wiper on and it'll take care of it. and as far as the gift goes, it's the thought that counts right? just make sure to hint jewelry next year eh?

- Scott

·
Registered
5 Posts
You can have auto locks if the shop installs solonoids in your doors. You may be able to add a relay in the wiring that activates your defrost once the car is auto started. This should be easy to do.

·
Focus Enthusiast
2,208 Posts
a relay might work but it might be a little confusing, you'd have to wire it so that it would turn on when you start the car and when you open the door the poewr would be cut so that it doesn't always stay on. i did the oppostie with 2 relays, my radio stays on when i turn the car off until i open the door. i don't know if an install shop would mess with all that wiring though.

- Scott

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
I live in Wintersota. It's like 5 below right now. I wouldn't worry about the rear defroster. just having the car warmed up is the important thing. The defroster should take care of business quickly anyway.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so it'll work anyway...

HotRodWagon said:
I live in Wintersota. It's like 5 below right now. I wouldn't worry about the rear defroster. just having the car warmed up is the important thing. The defroster should take care of business quickly anyway.
Hi to you out there in Wintersota! (My best friend just moved to Winona - poor girl!)

Good to hear the defroster should still take care of everything. Just spent 20 minutes this morning sweeping 4" of snow off... grrrrr....Southwest Michigan...."Lake Effect Snow"...Lake Effect SUCK!

Hey everybody - thanks for your suggestions and keep 'em coming!

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
"...Lake Effect SUCK
I bet. Yeah the snow thing slows you up. I'm not from the snow areas, originally from New Orleans, so this has been an adjustment for sure. I was talking with my neighbor, and he said something about covering the windshield overnight with some sort of piece of carpet or blanket or something. Then just get up in the morning and pull it off...sounds like a good idea, but it has to be waterproof...and if you have to park, like in an apartment lot or something, there would be no place to store it...other than the trunk.

·
Focus Enthusiast
2,208 Posts
Re: so it'll work anyway...

cathleen said:
Hi to you out there in Wintersota! (My best friend just moved to Winona - poor girl!)

Good to hear the defroster should still take care of everything. Just spent 20 minutes this morning sweeping 4" of snow off... grrrrr....Southwest Michigan...."Lake Effect Snow"...Lake Effect SUCK!

Hey everybody - thanks for your suggestions and keep 'em coming!
I live in southeast michigan, near detroit, we still get the effects of the lake effect snow just not as bad, it sucks. we get alot of wind here too. right now it's 10 out but it feels like -7 with the wind, i just checked the weather channel. and just think, it's not even the worst of winter yet, it's basically just begun.

- Scott

·
Registered
253 Posts
i got you all beat. it was a whopping -52 last night here in fairbanks alaska. it was so cold that if you leave your car out for longer than a half hour your tires get squared off and your suspension doesnt work and the car barely cranks over even with block heaters and oil pan heaters and battery pad heaters. but anyways those auto starts are cool. i wish i could afford the 599 price for a basic manual transmission one they have available here. they are an arm and a leg up here but most people have them. coming from detroit i never knew i would need one of those things.

·
Registered
593 Posts
So auto starters ARE available for an MTX? How does that work without depressing the clutch?

EDIT: Never mind that, I found a thread dealing with it. I will NOT be installing one...too many horror stories...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just a question for everyone... I have a ZX3 manual, I know there are Auto-Starts that work with non-automatics that require the car to be in nutral and the parking brake to be on so that should work fine. But what about the KEY? isnt there a magnet in the key or soemthing to that effect that prevents the car from starting without it in or am I totally off base here?

I've been wanting to add it to my ride for quite a while now

·
Registered
639 Posts
yes, there is a chip inside the key. to bypass this, you need a bypass module. there are two types. the cheap ones are just a box where you put an extra key in, then wrap a wire around it and up to the steering column. i dont recommend these. i recommend a DEI module. i believe it is the model number 555s or 555f. do a search and you'll find out more about them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey thanks for the reply I'll search on the web for info on them. Is your alarm 2 way? how much did you pay? do you have manual or auto?

·
Registered
639 Posts
mines actually not an alarm. i copied my signature wrong and i havent gotten around to changing it. i bought it from www.autotoys.com . i paid betweek 90-100 bucks last summer i think. and i have an automatic.

p.s. when you're ready to put yours in, let me know and i'll take some pics of my install to elp you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts