Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Which transmission do you have in your 2012 Focus?

• Total voters
41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
My left leg really wants to participate in driving.
A clutch is the only solution for it to feel it is helping out driving. [goofydrunk][drinking]

·
Registered
211 Posts
anyone else think it's just fun that your automatic rolls backwards on hills? I know I've spooked a few passengers, and friends driving behind me...

·
Registered
343 Posts
Ford speculated 93% of people would want auto... But in the online community it appears more like 60/40... A six speed would of been awesome but sadly no :(

·
Registered
86 Posts
Ford speculated 93% of people would want auto... But in the online community it appears more like 60/40... A six speed would of been awesome but sadly no :(
They could be right still. I think car enthusiasts would be not only more likely to purchase a manual car, but also more likely to seek out and post on forums like this. Whereas the soccer moms etc I see driving around in them probably don't.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If the Titanium came with an option for a 6 speed Manual I may have been tempted to go that route for a second or two but I've drive manual for close to 30 years and I'm just tired of it. I am sure I'll want to play every once in a while but that is where the the sport shift gives the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Hey folks,

Can someone please clarify the following points re the Powershifts in the Focus S, SE, SE Sport, SEL,and Titanium:

i) I suspect that if you get the SE, without the sport package, you get the Powershift Dual Clutch transmission that just has an S position or a D position.... It might be like the Powershift in the Fiesta, where shifting it to S keeps engine RPM as high as it can be, for a given roadspeed. That means, in "S", you can be going doing the road at 5000 rpm, at a steady speed, say in 3rd gear.... 'cause 5000 rpm is less than readline. Can someone tell me if the Powershift, in the non Sport Package SE and the S cars behaves this way? The Fiesta Powershift is great in a slalom, with this feature, according to some. Some might find it alarming. The Focus may not exhibit this behaviour.

ii) in the Fiesta, when going down a hill, the car senses the incline and senses that the roadspeed is increasing, but your throttle position is not... or is, in fact, closed. Then the Powershift downshifts, to a low enough gear that will not result in the "running away" behaviour. It may downshift automatically, two gears, depending on hill steepness. Does the Powershift in the non Sport Package SE and the S car behave this way?

iii) I suspect all Powershifts have hill hold-back for three seconds...

iv) finally, in the Sport Pack SE, and in the SEL and Titanium, I think the Powershift is a "Selectshift". It may still have features i) and iii), but may not have feature ii). Why?... 'cause you can flip the shifter into S, and then gear down with the toggle. You can do it for yourself.

????

·
Registered
290 Posts
Sorry, I meant to say: the Selectshift may not have feature i) when in S, 'cause in S you have to shift by yourself (no option)...

????

·
Registered
636 Posts
The SE models without the sport and all S models dont have selectshift or an "s" mode. Instead they get an L for dropping the car into first gear; meant for going down realy steep hills and crawling through snow. I wish it had sport mode, from what I've heard its amazing. Possibly related, non selectshift 6 speeds seem to have a much lower rate of transmission issues than the fancier ones; just from my observation.

·
Sonic Mk3 Crew #03
1,842 Posts
All the people that cant vote btw you need 30+ posts and be here for 30+ days.
Automatic Tied

26-26

·
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #17
4,888 Posts
Manuals are doing surprisingly well.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Downhill assist? I had a 2011 Fiesta SES and it had an UPhill assist button on the shifter on the 6 speed auto. Was suppossed to keep the car from rolling backwards on a hill when accelerating from a stoplight in first gear. Never had a cause to use it.

I have the 6 speed auto in my Focus

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
We can see from the votes that clearly the 2012 Focus is a driver's car.
The votes for manual tranny confirm this.
Driver's cars are cars that folks who LOVE to drive, drive. And a LOT of those driver's would ONLY have a manual tranny!
Me too.
This car is FUN to drive![driving][race]

·
Registered
130 Posts
We can see from the votes that clearly the 2012 Focus is a driver's car.
The votes for manual tranny confirm this.
Driver's cars are cars that folks who LOVE to drive, drive. And a LOT of those driver's would ONLY have a manual tranny!
Me too.
This car is FUN to drive![driving][race]
I used to agree with you, but living in the city of Chicago, it becomes alot less fun.

41 - 60 of 71 Posts