Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if it's possible to reprogram the auto headlights to come on when the wipers are on the intermittent setting?

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Doesn't it do it already? I thought mine switch on regardless of the setting. I might be wrong though
There is a setting in the menu (above the steering wheel) for turning on the headlights once the wipers go on. However, it does nothing. This was discussed in some other random thread. The headlights will go on if it's dark enough outside, but if it's not, you're going to have to turn them on yourself until it's fixed. [:(]

·
Registered
573 Posts
The headlights will go on when the wipers are on, but not when in rain sensing mode unless already on and rain is continuous.

I suppose there could be some timer that says headlights on in rain sensing mode if rain is continuous for x minutes, but I certainly wouldnt want headlights to blink on and off if other than continuous.

·
Registered
201 Posts
There is a setting in the menu (above the steering wheel) for turning on the headlights once the wipers go on. However, it does nothing. This was discussed in some other random thread. The headlights will go on if it's dark enough outside, but if it's not, you're going to have to turn them on yourself until it's fixed. [:(]
I have yet to see a Focus with this function working. How can they advertise a function, have it in the car menu, but never check if it actually works? That's like buying a computer with an advertsied HDMI port, but the port doesn't actually work.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
I have yet to see a Focus with this function working. How can they advertise a function, have it in the car menu, but never check if it actually works? That's like buying a computer with an advertsied HDMI port, but the port doesn't actually work.
But it does has the port. [:)]

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't have raining sensing wipers on mine, just regular wipers. The lights come on when I put the wipers on slow or fast, but sometimes intermittent on the highest setting is the correct setting for long periods of time, and I always forget to turn the lights on for that setting. It's silly but I think they should be on anytime your wipers on, for safety sake. I'm actually amazed that they don't come on. What were they thinking? I was just wondering if there was one of those hidden menu somewhere where we could change that setting ourselves.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I have been fighting Ford on this for 3 months now. I have the rain sensing wipers and the "rainlamp" setting in the IP menu does nothing in this mode. Also I have tested a vehicle without the rain sensor (regular intermittant wipers) and the headlamps still do not work in the intermittant position. Has to be in low or high mode for the headlights to come on, which is very poor programming. I am wondering how this oversight got past all their testing processes?

It's downright dangerous, and unlawful in the state of Florida to not have your headlamps on during rain. For the people who don't know this is happening and override the auto setting on the headlamp switch, they are running without headlamps and they don't know it.

Drive any other Ford vehicle and they work like they should, in all wiper position settings, and in rain sensing mode.

They have not been able to provide me a fix up to this point, they told me to override the headlamp switch setting. My complaint has gone all the way to the plant engineers, from what they told me. This defeats the purpose of all these automatic settings then, right?

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have been fighting Ford on this for 3 months now. I have the rain sensing wipers and the "rainlamp" setting in the IP menu does nothing in this mode. Also I have tested a vehicle without the rain sensor (regular intermittant wipers) and the headlamps still do not work in the intermittant position. Has to be in low or high mode for the headlights to come on, which is very poor programming. I am wondering how this oversight got past all their testing processes?

It's downright dangerous, and unlawful in the state of Florida to not have your headlamps on during rain. For the people who don't know this is happening and override the auto setting on the headlamp switch, they are running without headlamps and they don't know it.

Drive any other Ford vehicle and they work like they should, in all wiper position settings, and in rain sensing mode.

They have not been able to provide me a fix up to this point, they told me to override the headlamp switch setting. My complaint has gone all the way to the plant engineers, from what they told me. This defeats the purpose of all these automatic settings then, right?
Curious, how have you been "fighting" Ford? What's your method of communication? Perhaps they need more people to complain?

I agree, it's not working as advertised, and is potentially a hazard. Our dash/center console backlights are always on, and that can help mislead someone into thinking their lights are on when it's raining.

This seems like it'd be something they could reflash at some point.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Curious, how have you been "fighting" Ford? What's your method of communication? Perhaps they need more people to complain?

I agree, it's not working as advertised, and is potentially a hazard. Our dash/center console backlights are always on, and that can help mislead someone into thinking their lights are on when it's raining.

This seems like it'd be something they could reflash at some point.
It's been in the shop 3 times for this and many other issues, and the car has been reflashed by a Ford service engineer coming to the dealership 2 times.

The more people complain to their service about this issue the better the chances they will wake up,

·
Registered
123 Posts
me too!!

Does anyone know if it's possible to reprogram the auto headlights to come on when the wipers are on the intermittent setting?
I was just wanting for this to work correctly this morning as well. In NY it's actually illegal to have your wipers on without your lights.

With my old '99 Subaru, I always just left the lights on all the time and they just turned off when I turned the car off, I wish the Focus had that option as well.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I noticed this last week on a long drive from Chicago to Indianapolis.

It was one of those days were it was misting and sprinkling off and on the whole drive.

The wipers spent most of their time in intermittent mode, but I did notice when I flipped them up to slow the headlight indicator came on. Put it back down into intermittent, even on the fastest setting and the headlights turned off.

Bad programming in my opinion. Any time that the wipers are on, the headlights are required by law to be on. What is the purpose of auto headlights if the auto function doesn't even recognize that the wipers are on? Not very "automatic" if you ask me.

Seems to me a simple programming re-flash could fix this issue as this is obviously electrical programming in nature and not mechanical.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
I was just wanting for this to work correctly this morning as well. In NY it's actually illegal to have your wipers on without your lights.

With my old '99 Subaru, I always just left the lights on all the time and they just turned off when I turned the car off, I wish the Focus had that option as well.
our foci do have this option.. have ur dealer activate ur DRLs.. on start up all ur exterior lights are on until u shut off the engine...
works as advertised lol

·
Registered
123 Posts
our foci do have this option.. have ur dealer activate ur DRLs.. on start up all ur exterior lights are on until u shut off the engine...
works as advertised lol
Are you sure? I asked when I ordered it and they said that it was only available as a fleet vehicle option.

·
Registered
201 Posts
works as advertised lol
This thread is NOT about DRLs. THis thread is about lights coming on after a certain amount of continuous rain wiper use, utlizing the auto sense setting.

If you have your wiper on "auto sense", your lights on "auto", and the rain lights setting on your HUD to "On", your headlights should turn on after the wipers have wiped a certain amount of times continuously. Please read your owners manual for more info.

Non of the U.S. 2012 Ford Focus work as advertised and described in the owners manual.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Does anyone else have a problem with the autosense lights themselves? Mine turn on in the parking garage at work (as they should), but then stay on for the entire 20 minute drive home. What's up with that?

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Are you sure? I asked when I ordered it and they said that it was only available as a fleet vehicle option.
Activating DRLs are NOT a fleet only option.. If ur dealer is telling u this they are either misinformed or lying or don't want to do it. They should do it at NO COST to u when u purchase ur vehicle.

DRL activation is available on all new fords in the USA.. it was easier for ford to do this than make two different cars for the canadian/us market.

I had it done to my car at the dealer ... it took about 15 minutes...

·
Registered
683 Posts
Does anyone else have a problem with the autosense lights themselves? Mine turn on in the parking garage at work (as they should), but then stay on for the entire 20 minute drive home. What's up with that?
[welcome] Watered Down!
Many auto headlamp systems have a delay when it comes to turning back off again, but 20 minutes sounds pretty long to me. I'll have to pay better attention to mine and see what's up.
We don't have any parking garages up here, but I could simulate by covering up the sensor for a few minutes and then check to see when the lights turn back off once the sensor has been uncovered.
[idea]

1 - 20 of 40 Posts