Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any of you auto guys have an intake installed
cai or sri

do you guys feel the car sluggish when you get
on it from a dead stop
or is it just me.

the low end torque is not that strong anymore.

yes the car does pull harder deep into the rpms

but its a pig from a stop

·
Registered
545 Posts
when you say auto guys, i assume you mean auto transmission, which would be me. I have the steeda SRI, and the FC throttle body. And i think that the TB fixes the low end torque problem, though i dont remember it because i am used to my car now. But the TB causes my car to be peppy and jump from a stop, and obviously the intake gives a better pull in the high RPMs. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
in the same boat. I am running a CAI and it feels like it takes forever for the car to
get up and go. course this is on a zetec motor. But with my other mods it gets off
the line better than with just the intake. All that needs to be done is upgrade the
TB

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
what i think is happening here is that the dtec is suposed to respond to mods great and i think it is BUT it hink that the response is to much for the stock ECU so we all need to get them tuned

·
Registered
56 Posts
i have a spi and no retune, and dont have that problem much. up to like 2xxx its kinda slow, but after like 2200, it flys to 6000.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
I had no problem with my lowend when I put on my steeda SRI. Just a lot of WOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

·
Registered
251 Posts
richiet9 said:
cai or sri. do you guys feel the car sluggish when you get
on it from a dead stop or is it just me.
This has been happening to alot of duratec drivers. Mine is doing the same thing, but I drive an mtx. You might wanna check your intake and make sure it's perfectly sealed, so as to have no air leaks. If that's not the problem then you might just have to get it tuned.

focus_group said:
i have a spi and no retune, and dont have that problem much. up to like 2xxx its kinda slow, but after like 2200, it flys to 6000.
xp0s3d said:
I had no problem with my lowend when I put on my steeda SRI. Just a lot of WOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Yeah, but you guys also don't drive a duratec. So the engine responses are going to be different.

·
Banned
4,483 Posts
richiet9 said:
cai or sri

do you guys feel the car sluggish when you get
on it from a dead stop
or is it just me.

You are correct, the mm cai I have definately improved the mid-upper rpms power.

But from a stop, it slowed me down from stock....even after getting a free flowing exhaust.

I got a tune from Wayne, changes the fuel ratio, and shift points, my car shifts @ 6,000 @ WOT........so, there are no losses vs. manual to auto with a tune that fixes the pressure that the atx shifts. But I also heard it does it in the mtx Duratec also........so its something with the stock tune thats not factoring in the increase in air.

It also rides/shifts smoother just cruising around, and shifts the same 3,000 as stock...but without the knock.......

·
Registered
506 Posts
a C.A.I like marcy's or simalar type cant be compairded to a SRI like steeda's the gains are diferent and the power on which it gives varys through out the RPM range , steeda is a strong low to mid range but bites in top end , the c.a.i is the oppisite sux in the low end an has decent midrange an strong top end , a TB should improve both . if you raced side by side 1 car with only a SRI an the other only a C.A.I the one witht he sri will pull hard on the C.A.I untill the car witht eh C.A.I gets into his usable powerband then the tables turn in the same manner the C.A.I pulls harder in his top end than the car with the SRI. add a TB to them both it should equal them out a little better .

the HP differences between the two cars is slighly different but not enough to make it unfair
its based upon RESPONSE the better response you car has the better accel you will have. if your boggy in low end ur snappy as anything in mid to top end .

instead of being POWER hungry an goin for the MOST HP you can get from a mod try for response instead . like a sri , tb , flywheel / clutch , tune <<those alone will make your car snappy enough to almost make u wet ur self HP gain? 10-15+ whp becuase our dura's are still kinda low on the food chain vs other cars , of its class engine an vehicle response is greatly benificial vs all power mods

·
Registered
545 Posts
you summed up everything pretty nicely, battleship.

On a side note, has anyone had stalling problems with their automatic. I have stalled a few times when parallel parking on a hill. A bunch of times when i put it in reverse the rmps just drop and the car stalls out. I have never had an atx stall on me before, but it has happened several times on this car. Any suggests or has this happened to anyone else with an atx?

·
Registered
714 Posts
i have the F2 CAI and the Steeda 65mm throtle body on mine and before i put the throtle body on it pulled really good all the way through the power band and installing the throtle body helped out even more.

·
Registered
249 Posts
My g/f's honda civic has a short ram, it will actually spin the tires off the line now. It is definetly more responsive now. Yes it is an automatic.

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
I had the Marcy CAI. No low end issue. Pulled nice up in the high rpms.

Now have the Steeda SRI and low end is fine.
Stock TB.

Are you sure you don't have something installed incorrectly ?

·
Registered
247 Posts
I don't think it is an installation issue. My MM CAI caused me to lose some low end, but definately improved the mid and low upper. I have found that driving around town with the overdrive off changes the entire transmission behavior for the better. I thought it would just keep the trans from shifting into fourth, but it seems to change the settings and responsiveness of the trans also.

There was another thread somewhere with a guy that noted the same change in transmission feel when he turned off OD.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
don't be scared to get an CAI. those of you who have the CAI, when you start it up if you hear a lot of air movin around in your engine bay, you've got a leak. that's what's causin you to bog down. make sure you re-check your install. tighten everything up, move the hose clamps as close as you can to the ends of the rubber hoses, double check you PCV, make sure those clamps are on tubes on the CAI and the head. i had this exact same problem. i tightened everything up. now there's no sound of whooshing air under the hood, and i got my low-end torque back, with a little more. then i put my TB on.... car pushes me back in the seat now :) good luck all!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Steeda short ram CAI here. No bogging off the line here, hell I stand on it at the traction control lights up like NYC during the Big Apple drop on New Years Eve ;) (Of course a good portion of that has to do with the pathetic Pirelli P6's that Ford graced the SES model with, when they're fried, new rubber time)

NefCanuck

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sluggishness

I think this topic is dead, but in case anyone is still reading:

Keep in mind that the displacement of your engine is fixed. For torque, higher intake air speeds are desireable. Assuming there are no major restrictions in the stock intake tube, when you replace it with a larger one, the air will be moving slower at lower rpms; however, when the rpms climb, you no longer are hitting a wall with airflow. You aren't soo much adding a lot of power with intake changes, only shifting where it is, and yeah, no more choking you experiance normally.

For instance, if you search the Comp Cams website intake manifold articles, there is one where they are testing a 347 with the 5.0L manifolds. The stock manifold delivers huge torque down low, more than any of the aftermarket, but it chokes off quickley, and the ones that were lacking down low had lots of torque up high. Anyways, that was a little longer-winded than neccessary. Hope it make sense.

·
Banned
4,483 Posts
Shadowrunner said:
don't be scared to get an CAI. those of you who have the CAI, when you start it up if you hear a lot of air movin around in your engine bay, you've got a leak. that's what's causin you to bog down. make sure you re-check your install. tighten everything up, move the hose clamps as close as you can to the ends of the rubber hoses, double check you PCV, make sure those clamps are on tubes on the CAI and the head. i had this exact same problem. i tightened everything up. now there's no sound of whooshing air under the hood, and i got my low-end torque back, with a little more. then i put my TB on.... car pushes me back in the seat now :) good luck all!
A leak will sound like a gurgle.......all cai makes that plastic sucking sound which is louder at start up..........but constant.[thumb]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts