Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the driver control screen under lights, there is an option for dimming which is either manual or automatic. I have scoured the owner's manual and for the life of me cannot see what this is supposed to dim and what the difference is. Mine was originally in automatic and I have left it that way. This is different that the options for delaying the headlights/lamps which I found and which works. Any ideas?
Thanks

·
Registered
132 Posts
On the driver control screen under lights, there is an option for dimming which is either manual or automatic. I have scoured the owner's manual and for the life of me cannot see what this is supposed to dim and what the difference is. Mine was originally in automatic and I have left it that way. This is different that the options for delaying the headlights/lamps which I found and which works. Any ideas?
Thanks
This is kinda a weird option. The "dimming" refers to your dashboard lights. Depending on your config, you'll either have a +/- to the right of your headlamp switch, or a set of +/- buttons surrounding your headlamp switch. These buttons won't work to set your dashboard dimming if "automatic" is selected. If you select manual, these +/- toggles are activated, so you can select the proper amount of dimming on your own.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will try again when it gets dark tonight. I believe however that the two buttons (I have a red candy SEL sedan Canadian version with DRL's) did dim the instrument panel lights when the automatic option was selected, however I am not positive. Will try to verify tonight.
Thanks

·
Registered
61 Posts
On my SEL the auto setting leaves the dash lights alone but the buttons then control the MFT screen brightness. Off auto it effects both.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
The op's automatic/manual menu choices controls the dimming of the screens.
Say it is raining and you turn on the headlights, well if the setting is manual, the screens will dim to nightime levels.
The setting HAS to be 'automatic' for the screens to stay at full brightness during the day, IF you turn on the headlights during the day (for any reason)
On automatic, the autosensor is used and it knows it is daytime even though the lights are on.

I was stuck with the screens dimming with it raining and I turned on the headlights.. and was like WTF a few times. i figured it had to be some menu thing so i went in and found it.
(I am pretty sure i had turned it to manual myself at some earlier point fooling around)

·
Registered
107 Posts
could this auto dim feature cause the MFT to go blank

I was cleaning my 2013 Focus ST interior with the car off. Later that night I went to go the store and the MFT screen was blank but everything was working. I started pucshing buttons in frustration and turning the car on and off and evetually the screen came back on.

I am wondering if I somehow dimmed the screen when I was cleaning.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Say it is raining and you turn on the headlights, well if the setting is manual, the screens will dim to nightime levels.
The setting HAS to be 'automatic' for the screens to stay at full brightness during the day, IF you turn on the headlights during the day (for any reason)
On automatic, the autosensor is used and it knows it is daytime even though the lights are on.

I was stuck with the screens dimming with it raining and I turned on the headlights.. and was like WTF a few times. i figured it had to be some menu thing so i went in and found it.
(I am pretty sure i had turned it to manual myself at some earlier point fooling around)
THANK YOU! How can it be that explanation for options like this are not in the manual? Or available online? Frustrating.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts

Are you referring to the manual/auto dim function for the MFT screen or the dash gauge lights , as well? I am able to select auto/manual dim for the MFT screen (which does not get dark enough at night on dark roads w/ no ambient light, imo) but must manually adjust the dash lights w/ the toggle switch next to the light switch.(again, imo, not dark enuf on dark roads) thnx

·
Registered
115 Posts
THANK YOU! How can it be that explanation for options like this are not in the manual? Or available online? Frustrating.
Same here. Thanks for finding and resurrecting this thread; I wasn't able to find it with a search and had been puzzled by this option for several months. How hard would it be to put a sentence in the owner's manual to explain which lights are being auto-dimmed?

·
Registered
426 Posts
i am glad i found this post, i to have this problem. every time at night;; i have to manually turn down the dash lites, using the toggle button. it is very bothersome. i can not find a setting that will keep the lowest setting set, i did change to manual, but that does not do it. i remember most cars when you set the dash lites they stay set where you put them.. i would like to find the cure for this problem.. steve

1 - 10 of 10 Posts