Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's my story so far.
Got the call that the Focus arrived last evening.
Was able to stop by the dealer to see the car before PDI.
Car had been washed AND put thru' the Auto Butler.
Sterling paint looked absolutely awesome under the lights.
Was invited to run my hand along the paintwork, and it felt silky smooth (especially compared to an untreated car nearby) and almost slick.
The Auto Butler looks like an old style brushed car wash rig, but polishes and coats the car with "their" protectant/sealant product.
I understand that on delivery I will be offered a multi year coverage package which will include re-treatments every 6 months.
Anyone familiar with this, and how much are people paying for this.
Also, the rims had been covered in a plastic film - don't know if that's from to protect the rims/brakes or if they came covered from Ford.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
The thick flat clear film on the wheels is from ford. It is to protect the wheels while in transit. It peels right off.

·
Registered
171 Posts
So here's my story so far.
Got the call that the Focus arrived last evening.
Was able to stop by the dealer to see the car before PDI.
Car had been washed AND put thru' the Auto Butler.
Sterling paint looked absolutely awesome under the lights.
Was invited to run my hand along the paintwork, and it felt silky smooth (especially compared to an untreated car nearby) and almost slick.
The Auto Butler looks like an old style brushed car wash rig, but polishes and coats the car with "their" protectant/sealant product.
I understand that on delivery I will be offered a multi year coverage package which will include re-treatments every 6 months.
Anyone familiar with this, and how much are people paying for this.
Also, the rims had been covered in a plastic film - don't know if that's from to protect the rims/brakes or if they came covered from Ford.

The Auto butler you're describing is most likely an automated waxing system. There was one at the old Toyota dealership I worked at.. it wasn't very thorough actually. I think you'd be better off paying the local car detail shop to hand wax it. Speaking of which, a hand wax is recommended in the manual every 6months. It's all your call really but I'm going to be hand waxing mine at home (well actually I'll be buffing it with a buffer at home).

·
Registered
171 Posts
The thick flat clear film on the wheels is from ford. It is to protect the wheels while in transit. It peels right off.
It's all protective sheeting for transport. It peals right off and residue washes right off as well (I was make ready at the Toyota dealership I just mentioned).

·
Registered
81 Posts
My Toyota dealer threw in the Auto Butler for 6 treatments over 3 years when I bought a new Tacoma. My 2008 Tacoma DC came out looking like it just came off the showroom floor for the first time, every time they were done with each application. So I really enjoyed having it and it still looks like new.

When I asked how much to renew for another 6, they said it would be 595.00 so about 100.00 a treatment, so if you know of a detail shop that is cheaper you will have to see who does a better job.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Any machine with brushes = Scratch-o-Matic. I wouldn't put my car through one if you paid me.

Touchless auto washes aren't bad, especially if the car is just a bit dirty and has a good coat of some sort of last-stage protectant (wax, sealant).

·
Registered
171 Posts
Any machine with brushes = Scratch-o-Matic. I wouldn't put my car through one if you paid me.

Touchless auto washes aren't bad, especially if the car is just a bit dirty and has a good coat of some sort of last-stage protectant (wax, sealant).
That's a good point about the machine waxer. It really isn't as good as they make it out to be. You're much better off hand waxing it or using a buffer. Speaking of which if you keep the car waxed car washes are much easier and most can be cleaned with a quick spray for under a $1.25 at the local car wash. I wash mine about once a week and never pay more than $2.00. I use a shammy to wipe it down right there before I go anywhere. Then at my next location (usually the house). I wipe it down again then clean out my shammy before storing it (spraying the shammy at the carwash does the best job of cleaning it off before you wipe down the car there).

I know you're probably thinking washing your car once a week or so it too often.. but the longer you wait the harder it is to clean and the more money you have to spend cleaning it. Plus you get to drive around a clean car and everyone stares at your beautiful paintjob (thanks Ford, I love the sonic blue!)

the shammy I use for $17 shipped

·
Registered
277 Posts
I prefer thick-pile, quality microfiber towels for drying. Eurow makes an especially fantastic product - I use one towel to drag across wet paint for an initial drying pass, then a second to finish the job. Works beautifully.

If your paint is adequately protected with an LSP, there's always the blower option. Head on over to Craigslist and pick up a cheap cordless (or corded depending on your power outlet access) leafblower and blow-dry. Then you can easily blot-dry whatever it missed with a microfiber. In many cases, you don't even need to blot-dry.

Depending on how the weather holds up when I finally take delivery (near Thanksgiving, I assume), I'm planning on layering Klasse Sealant Glaze for a tough, hydrophobic LSP that brings out the Sterling's metallic flake. [cool]

·
Registered
171 Posts
If your paint is adequately protected with an LSP, there's always the blower option. Head on over to Craigslist and pick up a cheap cordless (or corded depending on your power outlet access) leafblower and blow-dry. Then you can easily blot-dry whatever it missed with a microfiber. In many cases, you don't even need to blot-dry.
We used to use an air compressor at the shop to blow off the cars. It worked great. We also used it in the interiors before vacuuming the used cars...

Depending on how the weather holds up when I finally take delivery (near Thanksgiving, I assume), I'm planning on layering Klasse Sealant Glaze for a tough, hydrophobic LSP that brings out the Sterling's metallic flake. [cool]
Congrats on the new ride!

·
Registered
277 Posts
We used to use an air compressor at the shop to blow off the cars. It worked great. We also used it in the interiors before vacuuming the used cars...
Before vacuuming? Kind of like cleaning out a desktop computer tower? [hihi] Sounds like an effective way to dust and get into those hard-to-reach places the vacuum extension can't quite fit. I may have to give this a shot!

Congrats on the new ride!
Thanks! [thumb]

·
Detailing Freak
348 Posts

Depends on the touchless wash. Most of the time, they use a harsher soap because its touchless, so that i removes more dirt. Also very good st stripping away your LSP.

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
The dealership I work at offers a paint/fabric package... it's sold as a Car Craft paint sealant and Scotchgard, "you can't get this stuff in stores" kinda thing; We've used that and Eagle1 Wax-As-U-Dry and achieved the same results...

The Scotchgard works like gangbusters, the other stuff not so much. A good 3M bodyshop compound and ultrafine polish with a machine polisher or DA is the way to go. Finish it up with a good sealant and you're ready for another 6-12 months of abuse and weather

The new vehicles don't look much different afterward anyway, they're brand-friggin-new. The used vehicles we use it on have been 'reconditioned' (polished/waxed/sealed), so they look great after as well. x2 on The Absorber; those things are tits! I'm still using the ones I bought when I got the car!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts