Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello;

I would like to stop the A/C from turning on automatically. Is this at all possible?

When I defrost my windshield I would like to have the A/C not turn on.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
You can take the radio/AC control bezel out and take the connector off the back of the vent control. It will take ALOT longer to defrost without the AC on though. It goes on because it dries the air out. Little to no moister in the air = faster defrost.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Most likely. Not sure how its wired together though. I just push the bottom to turn it off when it come on with defrost. Its only 2 inches away. If it bothers you that much give it a try. Just remember its going to defrost a lot slower and you'll have to push the bottom to turn it on to defrost most of the time.

·
Taciturn. Your turn.
2,213 Posts
I went one winter in my old car without any charge in the a/c system and the defroster was pretty much worthless. Why not just use some Fog-X? That way you can have a clear windshield and use heat, if that's what you want.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I am not concerned with it defrosting slower. I just want it to be ready for the snow this winter, without running the AC.

I cannot disable the AC by clicking the button when it comes on automatically. I can't visually tell the AC is on, But I can sure feel the car loosing power, so I know it is on.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
In my ZX3 I can turn it off when its on defrost... Maybe SVTs are wired different? You could always just set the vent one click from it going on.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I put mine on defrost the AC light on the button does not come on, yet the AC is on.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Guess the are wired different. My light comes on and I can just hit the button to turn it off. Id say try disconnecting the switch at the back of the vent knob. Be happy you don't drive a Ranger. The AC in the 99 I had kicked on whenever the heat was on. Ford and there shenanigans sometimes...

·
Registered
930 Posts
My 2000 ZX3, the light would come on when I switched to defrost...the 2002 SVT (and probably later model year) Foci, the light does not come on...so you can't manually turn it off...
And besides, if the temp is below 4 degrees Celsius, the A/C doesn't cycle on anyways...
It's designed to work that way for a reason...leave it alone I say!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can't stand it when control over these things are taken away from me.

I would rather pull off the entire AC system then have it come on when it decides.

I already have the drl disabled... next will be the abs.

I could care less what it was designed to work like. I simple hate it and I want to decide when AC is needed or not.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mine kicks in just the same as the 99 ranger. My cousin has an 09 ranger and its exactly the same.

The ACs going on all vent settings but two.

Ford must think the people who drive their cars are not capable of controlling such a complex thing.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Its just on manual transmission cars they need to not do it because you can tell the difference. I wonder how many people take their car in because they thought something was wrong with it. Different story with an automatic. You can't tell when its kicking on except for the sound which most people don't even notice.

·
Taciturn. Your turn.
2,213 Posts
I so far I havent encountered a car where the a/c didnt kick on with the defrost... Ford's, GM's, Toyota's. I was told that the a/c system needs to be cycled a few times in the winter months to keep the O-rings lubed and to keep things moving every now and then, most people wouldn't do that on their own.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts