Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 SVT Focus and the stock 6 disc in dash CD changer from the Audiohile stereo has eaten 7 CDs. Yes, 7 CDs are in the 6 Disc changer. They won't play, they won't eject, and the display shows only 4 discs are in the player.

So, I have a couple questions:

1. What can I do to get my CDs back?
2. Is it repairable, or should I just get a new head unit?

I don't want to lose the driver controls, so I don't want to get an aftermarket head unit. Where can I find a used one that's in good condition?

·
Detailing Freak
348 Posts
you can remove the radio, and open it up, and take your cd's back, BUT i had a 6 disc that i used for a while, and that happened, and it kept eating cd's... so give it a shot, but in the end you will be better getting an aftermarket radio

·
Detailing Freak
348 Posts
you can buy an adapter that will let you retin the controls, but its ecpensive and a pain in the ass to install most of the time

if youre going to have it done, then any shop will be able to do it, as long as their installers actually know what their doing

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
What about the stereo controls on the steering column? I don't want to lose them.
Install Ford's Trip Tunes and start using it with an iPod...

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does anyone know if Ford still supplies the 9006? I have an extended bumper-to-bumper warranty. My deductible is $100, but if it gets me a brand new factory CD player that still works with the steering column controls, I'm happy.

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Good question - I'd like to know that, too. I have the Platinum (or Premium, or whatever it's called) ESP good for another year, and it's definitely supposed to cover the audio system...

But I'd bet it's still available and prolly costs $1,000 or something equally ridiculous new.

·
Michael J. Caboose
6,512 Posts
Your radio is definitely covered under warr, I had my Auidophile swapped out twice because of this exact problem. I did open mine up a couple times just to get my CD's out, and it's cake, very easy to do.

The thing is, the Auidophile changer does not like Burnt CD's...if you use regular store-bought CD's, you should have no problems.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If this is not COMPLETE sacrilege, here's a link to a thread at that "other" website...

http://forums.focaljet.com/ice-car-entertainment/544241-ford-triptunes-installed-working.html
I called Steve from FocalJet and he can sell me the Triptunes adapter for $39 plus shipping. I called the local Ford dealer here in Kelowna, and the CDN price is $139. Guess where I'm ordering it from.

Ford is strange this way. Prices are not the same in Canada and the US. I called the local Ford dealer about new SVT wheels for my car and they are $300 a wheel here, and across the border in Washington State, the Ford dealer wants $400 a wheel. I've never experienced it where the Canadian dealer was so much cheaper then the American dealer.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Your radio is definitely covered under warr, I had my Auidophile swapped out twice because of this exact problem. I did open mine up a couple times just to get my CD's out, and it's cake, very easy to do.

The thing is, the Auidophile changer does not like Burnt CD's...if you use regular store-bought CD's, you should have no problems.
All the CDs in there are proprietary discs. None of them are burned.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have the local Ford dealer looking into whether it's still available or not. If it's not, they will ship it out for repair for 6-8 weeks.

·
Banned
2,814 Posts

I've definitely noticed poorer SOUND from burned CDs on the 9006 - very brittle, sometimes "scratchy."

·
I.S.A.I.K.I.
5,413 Posts
When you select which disc to eject, slide a laminated card (i.e. blockbuster, or something equivalent) into the slot to fish out the disc that's stuck in the tray. It might take you a couple of tries the first time, but it works for me everytime.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So, the head unit is NOT covered under my extended warranty and a new 9006 is $315 plus freight through the Ford dealer. This blows. I can do a decent aftermarket unit with all the required hardware for $150, but then I lose the steering column controls.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
you can buy an adapter that will let you retin the controls, but its ecpensive and a pain in the ass to install most of the time

if youre going to have it done, then any shop will be able to do it, as long as their installers actually know what their doing
Where can I get that adapter?

EDIT: Although, it's not like the car is very big and I have to stretch to reach the stereo.

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
So, the head unit is NOT covered under my extended warranty and a new 9006 is $315 plus freight through the Ford dealer. This blows. I can do a decent aftermarket unit with all the required hardware for $150, but then I lose the steering column controls.

Wow - that's a lot "cheaper" than I'd thought. I'd just drop the $315 - you get to kee the controls, plus I've yet to see an aftermarket head that looked right in a Focus...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts