Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Audio troubles [FIXED]

I'm posting this on here because I'm out of ideas; my audio is driving me crazy!

I noticed about three days ago my music stops playing for brief moments (sometimes a second or two, sometimes a minute) and is replaced by hissing, popping and crackling sounds.

I thought it was the CD but the SIRIUS radio does it too. I thought it was the deck, but even on no volume it does it. I tried all my connections, and wiring back to the amps and stuf and behind the deck too, nothing.

I have a Kenwood Excelon deck (less than a year old) and a Kenwood amp for my kenwood sub. A Boss C250 amp is pwering my four kenwood 6x8s in the doors ... and a rockford amp kit. I have no clue, any suggestions would help me.

Another unrelated (thought I doubt it) problem; occasionally my deck just shuts off (the display .. sometimes sound keeps running, sometimes not) and I have to detach and re-attach the face to recover. Any clues? It only did this maybe once a month or two, and has done it for a while now. Not a huge deal, but annoying nevertheless. I tought this might have something to do with the first problem though ...

·
Registered
228 Posts
could be a shorted speaker wire causing the popping and hissing, if you're having problems with the deck that could cause it as well. Might also be the BOSS amplifier, no offense but not the greatest of quality. If it's possible to try another deck and/or amplifier that would help you eliminate possibilities.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I doubt the problem with the hissing and crackling is within the deck, seeing as how everything is being powered by external amps (but it is still possible). With that in mind, I would take the deck out, and have it checked out under warranty. The display cutting out is definately something that will be covered under warranty (and it could be something simple like a loose connection on one of the pins going to the faceplate). Take it to wherever you bought it and ask what they can do for you. It will probably get sent out for service and fixed.

When the music cuts out, does everything cut out, or is it just a few speakers? Does the sub keep playing? If everything cuts off I would suspect the deck...

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah everything cuts out ... but the deck image and everything seems to be okay, and the little eq thing is playing text is fine all that. I got the deck somewhere online (etronics I think?) so I didn't pay the $500 list price, but I may not have a warranty : ( I'll check with them. I know the Boss amp isn't great, and I thought about maybe having it replaced ... but I am suspecting the deck regardless. I'll swap it out with the deck in my other car and keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Sounds good. Like I said before, unless only the coponents hooked up to one of the amps cut out, then I would think the amps are fine (unless you managed to bread both of them...at the same time). Let us know what happens.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
my speakers were cutting out entirely like a week ago, I diagnosed that problem to be a pinched speaker cable comming from my crossover for my components.

First check the connections behind the HU. Then, I would check the speaker wires in the door panel (if using stock wiring) and make sure no leads are touching eachother or the frame of the door.

that SHOULD fix the problem.

you might want to try some electrical contact cleaner (or rubbing alcohol) on the contacts on the faceplate, that might fix that problem)

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
would the leads touching short out the whole system? I am thinking more and more that this could just be a defective headunit or something... the weird thing is; when the volume is all the way down to "0" it STILL does it. Unless I go to 'snadby' (off) mode. I'll give it a shot on saturday, my next day off. Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I'll even try the rubbing alcohol thing too, otherwise the stock one is going back in for my weekend trip : ( no sub for me!

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
If a speaker lead shorts together, I would *think* that would send whatever amp is powering it (if a speaker shorts, then the 4 channel amp; if the sub shorts, then the sub amp) would go
into protect mode. I don't think it would cut the whole system off, so I agree with you and would be looking at the head unit.

Before I had my amp in my car, the head unit was powering the four speakers, and I had a similar problem. I was driving, and the left rear speaker just went crazy (buzzing, hissing, crackling and no music), and all of the other speakers shut off completely. This continued no matter what volume I had it at (including zero). I ended up having an issue inside the head unit that was fixed under warranty. This doesn't really apply to your situation because you have an amp powering everything instead of the head unit though....

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
if a speaker wire shorts, the amp doesn't go into protect mode.
Protection mode prohibits the amp from functioning if there's a short in the power circuit, or reversed polarity, or sometimes over-heating if there's a thermoresistor...

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Ooops....yeah. [?|] [?|] [?|]

Well, either way, I don't think that a shorted speaker wire would cause everything to go out, and then come back on. Although, it is worth checking. I'm still leaning toward something being messed up inside the deck.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Fixed!

I was cleaning my car today, and while adjusting and re-lubricating my new short shifter (yes, I have an SPI ... and a short shifter!) I turned the head unit on for the first time in forever, and when it cut out so did the overhead light (okay, I have this thing about working ON my car in the daytime & IN my car at night under flashlight and dome light : ). I got out to check the battery terminals (something I did recently and remembered to be the night before my audio troubles (installed a CAI & some other stuff).

No corrosion (mild) but my fuse for my amps is loose now in my engine bay (no airbox, which was what it rested on) and it was kind of loose anyway, and rattling around when I drove ... so I tightened it up and ... works fine!

This explains why my deck appeared to be working, but not my amps (both of them remember?) I figured (everyone else did too) that it was highly unlikely two amps went out simultaneously very often, and i remembered it was mostly while I was driving, which is why we thought it was a behind-deck wire short.

I drove around for twenty minutes with no problems ... I'll give it another shot tomorrow or monday and see, but I think it's good : )

Thanks everyone!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts