Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i appriciate everyones help so thanks.. you all great...

ok now i kno which head unit to go with the Pioneer DEH-P880PRS
Zapco C2k 9.0X comp amp for two RL-p 12"
the new seas coming out in july...

i dont think 15's would fit really...i half 2 get all the measurements first... im going to go with the DLS 4ch amp....
and ill go with one roll of dampening material...
im going to be building my own boxes... do you want me to use actual vents??.. or port holes??

where can i get the vents?? and how big?? how many?? 4 or just 2??

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
I'll recap our PM for others to see:

P880PRS
Seas Lotus Reference tweeters and mids
Zapco
RL-p12

As for 4ch amp to drive the Seas separates for an active system:
DLS A4
Arc 4150XXK, 4150CXL, FD4150, 4200SE
Zapco C2K4.0x
Audison VRx 4.300
Genesis Series 3 4ch or Genesis Profile 4 Ultra

The Arc 4150 or DLS A4 will be the best bang for the buck in that category of high-end amplifiers.

Oh, and one roll of Raammat BXT will be plenty to start with.
You can do your doors and then work on the rear hatch.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Jburris, I'm thinking more and more, you might want to order the complete set, but still use the 4ch amp.

The passive crossovers offer driver specific filtering, such as notch filters. But they still allow you to bi-amp with a 4ch amp, so you have control over time-alignment and driver level output. This is important, having time-alignment control over the specific drivers allows you to dial in the soundstage. You will most like have more off-set with the tweeters, thus allowing the off-set with the woofers to be less, which means better midbass response to blend with your subs. In option 1 below, overall time-alignment centers the stage, but you have a loss of midbass due to phasing anomalies, etc.

Three options:

1) 2ch amp on passive set
+) easiest and cheapest
-) no individual control, which kinda defeats the overall purpose of spending the big bucks

2) 4ch amp on passive set in bi-amp
+) individual control, utilize passive filtering for driver specifics
-) loss of power and limitations of going through passive components, not a big deal, all home audio does this [;)]

3) 4ch amp on raw drivers, no passives
+) direct clean audio signal, individual control
-) loss of notch filter, of which could be added without the crossover components

With my experience, I would personally do #3.

I'm gonna suggest you do #2 to be safe. It may cost more money, but it may be cheaper in the long run if you don't know what you're doing. Aside from the notch filters for the woofers, it also provides for sure protection for the tweeters to keep you from blowing them. [hihi]

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
not being sure about the power output of the A4, I made an inquiry......

I just got an email from Eng at MSQ, and he is using the new Lotus on a DLS A4 amp.

so, either the DLS A4 or Arc 4150 will work for you

Heck, i'll be considering the new Lotus drivers as well. [;)]

·
Powering America
8,559 Posts
Sounds like a great way to go. Robert, you are the man, having been so helpful for so many people, its great to see people like you here [thumb][thumb].

Mike

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Thanks [:D]

well, hmm. I just got another email from Eng at MSQ. He said all competitors using the Lotus drivers are running fully active without passives or notch filters.

So, #3 is good to go. You just need to make sure the HP active digital crossover point is correct for the tweeters before turning it up!!!!

·
Powering America
8,559 Posts
Damn, I may need to just save my money and go with the new Lotus tweets when they are available and when I have the money, especially since the SS ones are currently not being sold.

Mike

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
I think the Lotus RT27F will be a very nice tweeter.
The prior RT25F got a lot of positive feedback, and the RT27F is an upgrade.

The Reference range tweeter RT27F is a high end car audio tweeter designed for
those seeking the most precise and realistic sound reproduction in their cars.

An optimally shaped 27mm diaphragm which gives well-controlled behaviour through
the entire high frequency band. This diaphragm is produced from SONOTEX, a
proprietary material developed and manufactured only by SEAS. The SONOTEX process
pre-coats the fabric 4 times with a damping/sealing material, resulting in excellent
acoustic performance and consistency.

New modern front plate with wider mounting diameter.
A substantial injection-moulded rear chamber, with complex internal shape and
reinforcing ribs, which eliminate unwanted chamber resonances and refl ections and
improve head transfer.

Low viscosity magnetic fluid which provides excellent cooling of the voice coil while
maintaining a low resonance frequency.
Efficient neodymium magnet system
It can cross lower with a steeper slope, but is rated to handle 80w long term at 2500Hz/12dB.

I bet a lot of guys are gonna try this tweeter with a decent 8" mid. [;)]
Too bad the really good 8" mids at 3.5" depth are too deep for the Focus door.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Im just wondering what sort of box you plan on putting the rlp's in? And why you would rather have the 12"s over the 15"s? A 9.0 should be plenty of power for two 15"s.

If you can give them enough space two rlp 15's on a 9.0 would be insane..something like 3.5cf net @ 28hz and the low lows would hurt small children and animals ;)

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
good point about using 15s instead of 12s
either way will be insane [:D]

Given the power, up to 600w/ch or 2200w bridged, he needs to contact SS and get their recomendation for box volume, etc. They are very helpful.

·
Registered
316 Posts
FocusInCali said:
good point about using 15s instead of 12s
either way will be insane [:D]

Given the power, up to 600w/ch or 2200w bridged, he needs to contact SS and get their recomendation for box volume, etc. They are very helpful.
Mike is a great guy, he will answer any and all questions anyone has..

Here is the mini review i posted on just a single Rlp 15" from the soundsplinter forum,
http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=5453&hl=

I ran mine off less power..and only had one.. two with the 9.0 would be friggen nutz...

Go vented!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
im goin to go with the DLS 4ch... which ever you guys think i should with for my setup a #2 or #3 i will go with i gotta learn some time and might as well be now...thanks guys u all are great...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
audio

Pioneer deh880
Zapco
Dls ultimate A4
rl-p 12's or 15's
seas reference
10 gauge wiring for speakers
RaAm x matting
4 gauge power wire
8 gauge ground... 8 gauge subwoofer wire

sound about right???
where would be the best place to get the vents from?? ebay?? and how long?? or do they only have one size?? i actually forget

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
wiring kit

Pioneer deh880
Zapco
Dls ultimate A4
rl-p 12's or 15's
seas reference
10 gauge wiring for speakers
RaAm x matting
1/0 awg for power and ground
then 8 awg for subwoofers
10 or 12 awg for speakers

this zapco amp am i going to need a compacitor??
what site can i look at to get the cents for my boxes im building??
im going to start building my boxes soon...

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Re: wiring kit

Jburris said:
this zapco amp am i going to need a compacitor??
what site can i look at to get the cents for my boxes im building??
im going to start building my boxes soon...
Not at first, that's why I linked the Big3 upgrade.
You want to improve your existing electrical system before using a cap as a bandaid.
After the Big3, the best improvement is a higher output alternator, but you should
be fine with the Big3.

Box calcs:
http://www.bcae1.com/spboxnew2.htm

Check with the sub maker for their suggested size, etc. for the power you have on tap.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
subwoofer

after i get my cd player im going to see how much i have left and i might go with two rl-s 12"s
i asked about the diameter the box has to be for both kinds of subs so i know how big the box has to be....

now the idea is on where to find my vents for the box...
i do listen to alot of rap more then anything else here and there ill listen to like collective soul, skid row, metalica, nothing of a real hard rock...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Fuses

what type of fuse system should i go with for my amplifiers?? the zapco c2k 9.0 and the dls ultimate A4

1 - 20 of 38 Posts