Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I own a 2010 model which I recently bought, and I want to invest in a decent sound system. The problem is, I'm pretty new to all this and the more i read the more confused I get :D So I would appreciate very much if you guys could direct me to some articles, topics and anything that can help me understand what I need.
So, should I start by replacing a stock head unit and speakers? Do I need an amp? What kind of speakers do I need for front and back? As I said, I'm quite confused. I'm not looking for anything too fancy, just something decent for now that can be upgraded later on as I get more money and time.

·
has a screw loose
9,927 Posts
Posted via FF Mobile Its all really up to and what kinda budget you have. My 1st thing that I did was start upgrading the door speakers.
Then added a powered subwoofer. Then I saved up for my Clarion dvd head unit and amplifier and now working on geting some cutomized work done to my system.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
^This.

You should state your budget tho.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey, thanks for the replies guys!

Posted via FF Mobile Its all really up to and what kinda budget you have. My 1st thing that I did was start upgrading the door speakers.
Then added a powered subwoofer. Then I saved up for my Clarion dvd head unit and amplifier and now working on geting some cutomized work done to my system.
The current head unit i have is 60000 CD radio and I was wondering if it can play .mp3 cds? If not, that would be the first think I'm looking to upgrade. Since that stock radio is oddly shaped, I noticed I'll need a dashboard mask thing, so will something like this work?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Mond...arParts_SM&hash=item5195753f89#ht_2214wt_1140
I'm ready to spend $250 on a new head unit, and it would be awesome if I could connect my Iphone to it, so if you have something to recommend it would be awesome :)
Also, I was looking a bit at the speakers, so I'll probably start with replacing the front ones. I can spend about $650 on those. I have few questions though. Can I fit 16.5cm speakers where the doors are?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Well first and foremost do some research google all products before you buy them and try and buy as much as you can online as that is where things will be cheapest. and heres some advice.

When you look for head units. Look at how many volts the pre outs are some lower end models will be about 2 volts and some higher ends will be about 5.
Also look at the number of pre outs it has.. Number of preouts allows you to run more RCA cables to back(this is what you need to have an amp for example 2 pre outs you can have 2 amps or with higher end amps they have preouts on them but lets forget about that for now) you will probably want to get one that has at least 2 pre outs/

As far as speakers go Most if not all ford cars use a 6x8 speaker size. that will allow you to also put 5x7 in. However all 6x8 speakers you buy or 5x7 will be coaxial, which means there will be a woofer driver and then a tweeter placed one on top of the other at high volumes the midbas driver causes the tweeter to shake and distort do to vibration.. I suggest you go for Component speaker system.

Componet speakers are always oval which means you will need to buy an adapter plate, don't fret it is absolutely worth it. Component speakers come with a mid bass drive and a separate tweeter. Components also come with cross overs. Cross overs determine what frequencies the speakers play. The crossover that comes with a component set makes sure the tweeter only plays the high notes its supposed to and that the lower notes go to the mid bass driver. Having the tweeter separated from the mid bass driver allows you to place the tweeter wherever you want which allows for better sound imaging.

Depending on how often you have rear seat passengers you could just upgrade your front two speakers and take the rear out..

You should absolutely use an amp for your speakers. A head unit will only put out around 15-20 watts rms A good set of speakers will normally be around 60 watts rms or higher. An amp prevents clipping which is bad for speakers and sending more watts to the speakers improves the sound

As far as sub woofers go this all depends on what type of music you listen to and what your goals are?
for rock you want to stick with a sealed box with usually 2 10s or 2 12s.

for rap you want to go with a ported box and usually 2 12s or bigger depending on what your goals are

Some speakers I would recomend are morel maximos and hertz components. or if you want to put out the cash lower end focals

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well first and foremost do some research google all products before you buy them and try and buy as much as you can online as that is where things will be cheapest. and heres some advice.

When you look for head units. Look at how many volts the pre outs are some lower end models will be about 2 volts and some higher ends will be about 5.
Also look at the number of pre outs it has.. Number of preouts allows you to run more RCA cables to back(this is what you need to have an amp for example 2 pre outs you can have 2 amps or with higher end amps they have preouts on them but lets forget about that for now) you will probably want to get one that has at least 2 pre outs/

As far as speakers go Most if not all ford cars use a 6x8 speaker size. that will allow you to also put 5x7 in. However all 6x8 speakers you buy or 5x7 will be coaxial, which means there will be a woofer driver and then a tweeter placed one on top of the other at high volumes the midbas driver causes the tweeter to shake and distort do to vibration.. I suggest you go for Component speaker system.

Componet speakers are always oval which means you will need to buy an adapter plate, don't fret it is absolutely worth it. Component speakers come with a mid bass drive and a separate tweeter. Components also come with cross overs. Cross overs determine what frequencies the speakers play. The crossover that comes with a component set makes sure the tweeter only plays the high notes its supposed to and that the lower notes go to the mid bass driver. Having the tweeter separated from the mid bass driver allows you to place the tweeter wherever you want which allows for better sound imaging.

Depending on how often you have rear seat passengers you could just upgrade your front two speakers and take the rear out..

You should absolutely use an amp for your speakers. A head unit will only put out around 15-20 watts rms A good set of speakers will normally be around 60 watts rms or higher. An amp prevents clipping which is bad for speakers and sending more watts to the speakers improves the sound

As far as sub woofers go this all depends on what type of music you listen to and what your goals are?
for rock you want to stick with a sealed box with usually 2 10s or 2 12s.

for rap you want to go with a ported box and usually 2 12s or bigger depending on what your goals are

Some speakers I would recomend are morel maximos and hertz components. or if you want to put out the cash lower end focals
Awesome post :)
Yea, component speaker sound like a better idea. So with an adapter plate i can fit in a 16.5 cm speaker without any modifications to the door panel? If so, I'm definately gonna go for those then.
About tweeters, I noticed there are speakers inside where the door mirrors are. What kind of speakers are those? And can I fit tweeters in there? Here is a pic in case you don't know what I'm talking about:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/189/focusy.jpg/

Taking the rear speakers out sounds good and let's say i want to put new ones in there sometime, what kind of speakers should i place there?

About subwoofers, I listen to both rock and rap and a lot of other stuff as well, so I don't know which subs + box to pick then [8)] I supposed I need to place subs with the box in my trunk? Do they take up a lot of space, since I need most of my trunk space [:(] I was looking at something like this:
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/images/1714.jpg
You think this can work out as well?

I took a look at amps as well and I noticed they have different number of channels (1-6). So if I want a system with front component speakers + whatever speakers I need in the back + a sub, what kind of amp do I need?

This is a lot of questions, I know :D I'm gonna go do a bit of research on head units now.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Awesome post :)
Yea, component speaker sound like a better idea. So with an adapter plate i can fit in a 16.5 cm speaker without any modifications to the door panel? If so, I'm definately gonna go for those then.
About tweeters, I noticed there are speakers inside where the door mirrors are. What kind of speakers are those? And can I fit tweeters in there? Here is a pic in case you don't know what I'm talking about:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/189/focusy.jpg/

Taking the rear speakers out sounds good and let's say i want to put new ones in there sometime, what kind of speakers should i place there?

About subwoofers, I listen to both rock and rap and a lot of other stuff as well, so I don't know which subs + box to pick then [8)] I supposed I need to place subs with the box in my trunk? Do they take up a lot of space, since I need most of my trunk space [:(] I was looking at something like this:
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/images/1714.jpg
You think this can work out as well?

I took a look at amps as well and I noticed they have different number of channels (1-6). So if I want a system with front component speakers + whatever speakers I need in the back + a sub, what kind of amp do I need?

This is a lot of questions, I know :D I'm gonna go do a bit of research on head units now.
Ohh wow alot of questions here well lets start of with the tweeter in the side mirrors..

Well first I do not own a car that new so I really cant help you but im assuming thats abouta 4 1\2 speaker there not quite sure but Im almost possitive you could google it and find out... THIS COULD BE VERY HELPFUL When you get a component set you could place the tweeter that comes with it right where this stock tweeter went

As far as that box goes the one you sent me a picture of is from an older model. But as far as conserving trunk space.. this is always hard to do .. you could go with one very nice 12... take the budget you were going to spend on 2 subs get one nice sub with it..

as far as amps go..... If you end up getting a verry nice component set the company that sells them will normally sell amps that match them . and then you could buy a separate amp for your sub woofers.. Run 2 amps

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
IMO The tweeters should go on the lower part of the "A" pillars.

It just sounds better that way.

·
Registered
487 Posts
IMO The tweeters should go on the lower part of the "A" pillars.

It just sounds better that way.
Depends on the car where the passenger sits and the types of speakers you run.

If the soundstage appears to be comming from down low , you move the tweeter up to compensate or vise versa

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Having processing power makes a massive difference.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
true but let us know what you decide to go with airupthere
We are such bad people[slap]

My apologies to the OP[thumb]

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
with the tweet you should try to get them at an angle pointing towards you and the passenger, most componets are round 6" 1/2 with a 1" tweet. you could always build a box for the sub. as far as boxes go a sealed box will take up less space and provide a cleaner tighter sounding bass. change in a bass note will be more noticeable. a ported box will take up more room and but give deeper louder bass ( most common from what ive seen). any good brand that makes subwoofers should tell you what kind of box and size of box is reccomended. i suggest rockford fosgate personaly. they make great speakers, subs, and amps. well known for quality and durabilty. size of subs also matter. an 8 will have the cleanest bass, 10s will be louder then 8s but still clean bass, as the sub size gets bigger the louder it is in most cases but loses quality. the smaller the sub the better the quality but less loud. i would do 2 10" subs so that its both good quality and loud. when picking an amp i would get one that can do 500-700watts rms and even if your subs can only do 200-400watts rms you can adjust the amp down lower. then if you want louder later on you can buy another sub or better subs.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
I totally agree about the tweeter angle.

·
Da fofo love remains
1,538 Posts
Diamond Audio sells a 5x7 component set!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sounds pretty damn good for a $75 setup!

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Are they like the Eaton cones?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts