Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
More newbish questions for you guys...

I'm doing a small setup right now but I want to leave plenty of room to expand. I've got a few ideas I'd like to run by you guys and see if you can point out any flaws for me and maybe point me where I can get parts...

I currently am upgrading my audiophile 8" with an infinty 10"

Here is what I am looking to do:
I want to be able to run a fused wire (What size? Fuse size?) from the battery through the firewall and then put a distribution block (Where do I get one?) on the inside that I can then attach smaller fused (Again size for wire and fuse?) wires to for powering my current amp (Infinity 310a may upgrade later) Any interior lighting I do (Ricer LEDs in vents etc) and another amp for door speakers (at later time)

Basically I'm trying to get a single power wire through the firewall and a way to put a distribution block inside the car for all my current and future projects. Is this even possible?

·
Registered
316 Posts
yes. its called power wire and distro.. ;)

There are many options for distribution.. from a simple block, to a fused block.. to something like a dd10

here are some simple distro blocks
http://darvex.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=DB
here are some fused distro blocks,
http://www.darvex.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=FDB
here is a more complex distribution system, for powering lights, amp turn on, and other 12V accessories (not for powering amps)
http://cgi.ebay.com/Phoenix-Gold-Titanium-TIDD10_W0QQitemZ9723952229QQihZ008QQcategoryZ50550QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

If you plan on upgrading later you might as well do it right from the start and use zero gauge wire from the beginning.. you want to fuse very close to the battery (within 18") according to the wire size.. for 0 gauge like 200 or 250 amps.. and then you should fuse in the trunk according to the amp requirements..

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sweet this is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I knew someone on here could help... I'll start looking at that stuff and post anymore questions I find.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So it's look like I would take 0 gauge from the battery (fused within 18") to the trunk/hatch then I could do say a 1 0 guage to 3 4 guage and then run the following from it

1 4 gauge wire (fused? Can a switch go here to turn all of them on or off?) up front to a 4 gauge T and those 2 4 gauge wires break into 4 8 gauge each (Should these 8 gauge wires be fused?) and run my lighting etc. stuff off of those (Is 8 to big? do I need to go smaller then that? Am I nuts for wanting to do it this way?)

1 4 gauge wire to a 4 gauge to 8 gauge for the sub's amp (Fused on the 4 or 8 gauge wire?)

1 4 gauge wire to a 4 gauge to 8 gauge for the other sub (Fused on the 4 or 8 gauge wire?)

Should everything be grounded together or seperately? What size fuses?
If I confused the hell out of you I can draw a picture that will hopefully clear it all up.

·
Registered
316 Posts
LeeBkr311 said:
So it's look like I would take 0 gauge from the battery (fused within 18") to the trunk/hatch then I could do say a 1 0 guage to 3 4 guage and then run the following from it

1 4 gauge wire (fused? Can a switch go here to turn all of them on or off?) up front to a 4 gauge T and those 2 4 gauge wires break into 4 8 gauge each (Should these 8 gauge wires be fused?) and run my lighting etc. stuff off of those (Is 8 to big? do I need to go smaller then that? Am I nuts for wanting to do it this way?)

1 4 gauge wire to a 4 gauge to 8 gauge for the sub's amp (Fused on the 4 or 8 gauge wire?)

1 4 gauge wire to a 4 gauge to 8 gauge for the other sub (Fused on the 4 or 8 gauge wire?)

Should everything be grounded together or seperately? What size fuses?
If I confused the hell out of you I can draw a picture that will hopefully clear it all up.
If it was me, i would do zero to a fused distro for your amps.. find a distro with o inputs and 4 gauge outputs.. (most have 1 or 2 inputs and 4 outputs)... if you get one with the maxi style fuses its easy to cut power to one amp.. or all amps.. just pull the fuse.. here is the distro i have,
http://www.darvex.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=SHD4MAX&Product_Count=1

for the lights and other accessories you want to add, it depends on how many you plan on running.. You could go the cheap route and just run a 4 gauge form the fused distro to a 4 gauge input/8 gauge non-fused distro and then use like 10 or 12 gauge power wire (fusing every one with a small inline fuse) to power the lights ect.. you can make 10-12 wire fit the distro.. (8 gauge power wire would be overkill for most lights)

The more expensive route for light and other accessories would be something like the ti10dd,
http://cgi.ebay.com/Phoenix-Gold-Titanium- TIDD10_W0QQitemZ9723952229QQihZ008QQcategoryZ50550<br%20/>QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

It would make for a very clean install, offer fused protection, and you can set a turn on/off delay.. or the order things turn on. If you plan on running lots of lights this is what i would get. They are pretty neat ;)

For grounding, you can just get an unfused distro block.. and have a common ground for everything.. just make sure its a non fused 0/4 block.

Fusing in the trunk really depends on what you are running.. it should tell you what fuse rating to use. Same thing with the lights.. they should tell you or have an inline fuse on them.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hell yea im confused. Correct me if im wrong you want to power at least two subs with two amps? if so you need to run 0 gauge to trunk/hatch (this where you are going to want to put your dist. block) Then depending on the block you can run however many wires to your amps. There is no need to split the wire from 4 gauge ( which i recommend for most amps) to 8 gauge or whatever size you want. The only place you need to put a fuse is somewhere with in 18 inches of the battery. You need to ground your amps. I have been told not to ground two amps to the same spot on the car but thats just what i have been told. Your amps will have a remote terminal you can connect them together and then run it to a switch on your dash somewhere or you can hook it up to your Cd Player. I have not done my homework but i believe disturbution blocks have other sizes such as 10 gauge or smaller. but to power your leds you should only need a 14 or 16 gauge wire for leds. They do not need a lot of power. Well i hope this helps

·
Registered
316 Posts
sparbanie said:
The only place you need to put a fuse is somewhere with in 18 inches of the battery.
depending on if his amps are internally fused or not.. he should fuse them in the hatch/trunk if they arent.. i just sort of assumed they wernt fused.. seems like a lot mid/high end stuff isnt fused..

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So does this sound better?

Take 0 gauge from the battery (fused within 18" what size fuse?) to the trunk/hatch then I could do say a 1 0 guage to 3 4 guage and then run the following from it

1 4 gauge wire (fused? Can a switch go here to turn all of them on or off?) up front to a undetermined distribution block in the 10-16 gauge range and run my lighting etc. stuff off of those. This will run a number of cold cathodes and leds

1 4 gauge wire to a 4 gauge to 8 gauge for the sub's amp (10" sub) (Fused on the 4 or 8 gauge wire?)

1 4 gauge wire to a 4 gauge to 8 gauge for the other amp (6x8s) (Fused on the 4 or 8 gauge wire?)

I can try and draw up a sketch later just can't do it on this PC

·
Registered
95 Posts
i have yet to see a sub that dont have fuses internally. But yea if they dont have fuses on the amp fuse them. But yea you pretty much got it expect for the switch part. You can hook up the switch to the amps and then to your cd player or a switch in the dash. Itz called remote wire/terminal that will turn on and off your amps. It does not drain power from your battery if you dont hook it up to your power wire. He could always shove a 10-16 wire in with his 4 or 8 gauge wire. the block should be hidden so nobody will ever know

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
you got it

Main fuse in main wire within 18" of the battery.

Then use a Fused Distribution Block on the Power wire.

Non-fused Distro on the Ground.
You don't have to use a ground distro, you can run each ground to the body.
But it's easier and looks better to use a ground distro.

Make sure the grounds are the same size as the power wires used.!

As for parts sources: that Darvex site looks good, eBay has great prices as well, also check out http://www.partsexpress.com and http://www.knukonceptz.com

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The switch is for the lights not the amps.

If I used non fused distro for the power do I need to fuse each individual wire? What I'm driving at is is it easier and cheaper to buy the fused distro or get the non fused and fuse it?

·
Registered
95 Posts
if you a non fused dist you dont need to fuse each wire you need to fuse the power wire and that is it.

Prolly cheaper to buy a non fused dist block and fuse the power wire

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
the fuse near the battery protects your battery and electrical system in case of problems or accidental grounding somewhere along the wire in the car

the individual fuses at the block protects your amps, etc

do both, better safe than sorry

It's much easier to use a fused distro block.
As said, if your amps have fuses, then a fused distro block isn't absolutely necessary.

But always use a main fuse within 18" of the battery, regardless of what you do in the back of the car.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Darvex is a great place.. excellent customer service..and ultra fast shipping.. they are on ebay as 'bagboy' or something like that..ive gotten many hundreds of $ worth of install stuff from them and the only problem ive ever had was that a screw was missiong once.. probably stingers fault.. but the took care of it right away.

If you want to wire in lights and stuff you will need to get switches, maybe some relays and figure out how to make it look all neat and clean. Be sure to fuse it all. That DD10 would be easy cuz they are all fused, and would turn on/off with your amps...and it looks sweet ;p

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How do I know what size fuse to use by the battery?

What size fuse do I put in to protect the lighting?

·
Registered
316 Posts
LeeBkr311 said:
How do I know what size fuse to use by the battery?

What size fuse do I put in to protect the lighting?
you should be ok with a 250 amp fuse under the hood... if you are going to use 0 gauge wire.

the lights, i dont know you would have to check with the manufacture of the lights.. some kits ive seen have the fuse inline already.. others just tell you the recommended fuse.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts