Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, help me out here. I am installing some subs this weekend (actually a friend is) and I want to have ti all ready for him. I re-vamped an old box and replaced a few connectors and such. My question is: What kind of wire do I use to connect the subs the the connectors in the side of my sub box? And what kind of wire am I going to be running for the amp and what not to the battery?? Let me know!

~Tiffany

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Here are the wire coding http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2140

You need to tap into those wires and connect them to your Amp's high input or get and RCA line convertor if your amp doesnt have one. If your friend knows what he is doing, he should be able to use the color code for the installation without any help.

Since your amp draws a lot of power, you will need to run a hot wire directly from your battery to your amp. Be sure to tie that into some kind of a fuse protection to prevent electrical fires.

·
Mr. Wizard
937 Posts
I'd say go with 4-8gauge wire depending on the current draw of the amp, you should also get an inline fuse for everything between 100-150A fuse should do the trick, make sure that the fuse is within one foot of the battery for best protection. Ground wire should be about the same gauge wire and shouldn't be longer than a foot and grounded to the frame of the car if possible. As far as between the subs and the box connector probably in the 12-16 gauge area.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts