Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 ZX3 with an ATX tranny, it has a button on the shifter "O/D"

Im learning that using O/D on or off is no different.

For some reason to me O/D off this is the mode that is just 1-2-3 feels better more racing like.

When O/D is on 1-2-3-4 it seems slugish, seems to shift earlier, more often.

Anyone else feel this?

·
Registered
542 Posts
When I'm on streets and going less than 60MPH, I turn overdrive off because it makes the engine feel a little bit more responsive since it only uses gears 1-3 which keeps the RPM's higher and closer to the torque band than if OD was Off and it shifted into 4. Of course, if you go WOT, it really doesn't matter since it would downshift anyways, but if you don't WOT it feels more responsive.

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
The only thing that turning off overdrive was ever really useful for, for me at least, was making the car driveable when my shift solenoid went bad.
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well i feel it do extra things when the over drive is on. Maybe its the lock and unlocking of the clutch?

when overdrive is off i dont feel anything extra, or any little pulls.

I do know that when O/D is off i tend to let third wind up a hole lot more before i turn O/D on and it shifts. Ill sometimes let it wind up to 65-70mph and then let it shift.

Lately ive turned O/D off to kick it down into 3rd to pass then back on not sure how good this is for it but it seems to work.

·
Registered
177 Posts
FYI - whenever overdrive (4th) is turned off, the engine must stay reved at a higher RPM in order to maintain the same rate of speed that it could otherwise maintain at a lower RPM with overdrive on. Since the engine rev's higher it also means that more gas is being used to move the car at the same rate of speed that the engine could otherwise do at a lower rpm with overdrive enabled.

About the only reason most people turn it off is for quick speed-up maneuvers such as passing, otherwise you're just wasting fuel once you go above 45mph.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I believe turning off the overdrive also disables the torque converter lockup. Not locking the converter allows some slippage, which provides torque multiplication as well as higher engine rpm, hence the more responsive feel. But it does consume more gas.

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
Ever since I installed a dogbone mount with poly bushings, I don't even feel my shifts. I do see a bigger acceleration with over drive off, but WOT kicks it on to basically the same program, but will eventually still lock in the converter.

Posted via FF Mobile

1 - 9 of 9 Posts