Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so i think my tranny is going bad but ive been told it could be a filter or a Tranny Computer....well i honestly dont wanna have to spend 500 on a tranny if i dont have to. So ill explain what it is doing and maybe you can help...
First off its a 2000 Zetec DOHC ATX
its like if i get on it hard at all, and then as im hitting to where overdrive should be setting in (around 40-45mph) it dosent, so its like i have to manual shift it, let off the gas, put it into neutral and then back into drive and then hit the gas again and it usually goes into overdrive, sometimes it does not and after running this the '!' light comes on and it wont shift into overdrive at all and i can clear that code by shutting the engine off and turning it back on and it will be simply fine again. But in rare occasions it will set the check engine light and i can just reset the computer (removal of the battery terminal cable) and it will be fine again. i really dont know what to do im afraid to take it very far cause i dont wanna break down but maybe you guys can help me solve the problem. the car has 72,000 miles on it, i do race it but i never over do it. maybe 3 trips down the strip a week and thats in 1 day and i drive it roughly 3 or 4 miles a day to work and back, regular maintnance has been done when needed. I dont know the problem, anything would be considered as far as help is considered.....thanks again

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Start by changing your transmission fluid, it could just be that the fluid is shot and that's causing the problem. Aside from that, it could be any number of issues...the 4F27E isn't known for its resilence or longevity; there's more than a few people on here who have their second or third transmission with less than 50,000 miles on the clock and little or no engine mods. Take it to autozone or similar parts store that offers free CEL scans and see what code its throwing, it might give you an idea as to where to start looking first.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
94000 miles on my auto tranny. 10,000 with boltons and no problems. It outlived my car. The semi-truck however had other plans for it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well thats the other thing my uncle is a mechanic, and has his own scanner, he is stumped thus am i, it comes up as Solenoid C 'Stuck' well we changed the Solenoid C...109.72 from the local ford dealership...and it still isnt working, and i did take it to autozone, they read the same thing

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
and the transmission place that told me where to look to find out what tranny i have, i guess the focus' have several trannys for the atx's mine was a DFE....

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
AFAIK, the only ATX Ford has ever put in the Focus is the 4F27E, across all years and engine types...SPI, Zetec or Duratec, it shouldn't matter, same transmission. Maybe you're reading a programming code...?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well whoever i talked to obviously was an idiot then, he told me to look under my oil pan and thats the number to my tranny

1 - 8 of 8 Posts