Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seen a replacement shift knob for the automatic?
I know that it couldn't *easily* use one of the universal ones, as the O/D button is built inot the knob. I assume it would be possible to relocate the switch, but thought I'd ask if anyone has or has seen on around anywhere.

·
It's been fun.......
3,042 Posts
Actually, I have seen a shift knob with the built-in OD on e-bay. It looks pretty good
and I believe it was at $68, ouch. I put on an Ichiban knob and relocated the od button
to my console all for about $40 and it doesn't look too bad. It wasn't too difficult but does require removing the console.

·
Focus Addict
1,245 Posts
We had a really extensive thread on this in the old forums. Let me see if I can find it.

·
It's been fun.......
3,042 Posts
Hey DJ, I'll try and get some pic's today and post them for you.

·
It's been fun.......
3,042 Posts
DJ, ran out and took a couple of quick pics of my ATX knob and OD switch on my console.
Hope they help.

·
It's been fun.......
3,042 Posts
And one more pic. The steel shifter shaft coming up to the knob was too skinny and looked weird so to fatten it up I found some rubber tubing that had the right inside diameter and slid it on. This knob also keeps the reverse lock out.

·
Focus Addict
1,245 Posts
Yeah, see, I want to modify mine so the higest part of the new knob is equal to the highest part of the original knob so that doesnt look too long.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Focusedat50, is the silver toggle the OD button?
That looks pretty good... I want to move my OD button to the platic tab to the right of 1st/2nd gear shift point.
I'll post some pics when I end up doing mine...

Also 1 last qustion focused, was it 2 wires that had to be to the switch?
And also, is there any trick to taking off the stock knob? I haven't even tried yet.

·
It's been fun.......
3,042 Posts
Yes the silver toggle is the OD switch. There are a lot of differnt style switches out there so just pick the one you like but be sure it has two contacts not three. It was just two wires, they are not real long so your only limitation is how far you want to move the switch from the shifter. I cant really remember now removing the stock shifter except that it was not all that hard, I believe it had a set screw holding it in. Sorry , I did it about three months ago, guess I should have documented it but at my age my memory isn't what it used to be. Good luck and be sure to post some pic's.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I probably have the best shifter knob setup here (ATX at least...) Ill post pics tomorrow or as soon as i can

·
Registered
951 Posts
Boast about it, then don't show any pics?????? J/K Hurry though, I wanna see everyone's setup so I'll have an idea of what kinda knob I want.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Sorry guys, i thought i'd have the pics by now, but my parents went out of town and took the Dig. Cam. with them, as soon as i can, ill take pics, ive been meaning to for like a couple months now
haha

1 - 20 of 34 Posts