Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering, what would be a better investment of money for my atx. chip or valve body? also, would this be up for the abuse of maybe a 50 shot of nos?

·
Registered
921 Posts
If the torque convertor remains stock, then a 50 shot will kill the tranny. The valve body/chip will only help out the clutch packs.

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
OandAWOW said:
If the torque convertor remains stock, then a 50 shot will kill the tranny. The valve body/chip will only help out the clutch packs.
depends on how much you use it, i had no2 on my at car and my tranny is working fine. i didn't use mine much, less than a bottle a month

·
Registered
479 Posts
ATX perf.

Here’s an old post that might be of interest:
Ok, I'm gonna hang this one out here once and for all, since we have this cool new forum. I'll only say this once:

I used to be an engineer at Ford Automatic Transimission Operations.

As has been mentioned, the 4F27E was designed for 270 ft-lbs AFTER torque converter multiplication. The torque converter multiplies the torque by almost 2, so the transmission is at it's design limit with a Zetec.

The issue is the durability of the 3/4 clutches (not the TQ). They just can't take the energy dumped in by a higher torque motor. It's the actual energy they have to absorb on a shift, not the actual torque while in gear, that is a problem.

As has been mentioned, tightening up your shifts will help, because the shift is faster, and thus you dump in less energy on a shift.

Ford was fully aware of the potential problem with the clutches and the PZEV. So, in mid-2004 model year, they upgraded the clutches to go with the introduction of the PZEV. Internally, they referred to them as "high energy" clutches. In fact, ALL Foci got the stronger clutches in mid-2003 MY, I believe the build date switchover was December, or somewhere thereabouts.

That also may not be a hard date... since the plant has a propensity for losing parts, then finding them a few months later and putting them on the line. Particularly for running changes, which is what this was.

IIRC, there is a code on the tranny that tells you which one you got, but I can't remember off the top of my head. I was able to verify I got it on our 2003 Wagon, built in January 04.

Also, IIRC, the new clutches were designed for 30-40% more energy than the old clutches. Again, not torque, but energy. You can even get some custom made 1-sided clutches that can take twice the energy, but they didn't go this route, I can't remember if it's cost or shift quality.

I would think a high energy clutch tranny, with tightened up shifts, might live behind a turbo Zetec. The early transimissions were at their design limit in stock form. You might be able to live with them if you don't do full power 3-4 shifts, or at least not many 3-4 shifts in close succession. It's the repeated energy dumps that overheats them, and kills them.

OK back to the original question:
A high performance valve body will mechanically provide tighter shifts.
A chip like a XCAL 2 will allow you to adjust your shifts electronically, but the real plus is that the XCAL will allow you to customize your shift points & increase the shift limit to a higher rev limit at WOT.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
213slayer666 said:
depends on how much you use it, i had no2 on my at car and my tranny is working fine. i didn't use mine much, less than a bottle a month
+

true this
i ran a 75 wet shot nitrous kit on my car and my tranny held fine
it depends how and how much you use it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts