Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There were two different threads recently, both discussing similar subjects. Those threads talked about ATX OverDrive and TC lockup; those threads are here->

3rd gear or overdrive issue?
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=400658

Auto trans in a 2003 Focus w/ZETEC
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=394674

I found comments made by my_beautious_ZX3 to be especially helpful to better understand how & when OD and TC lockup function. I was about to post in the most recent thread, but I decided my questions would be a high-jack of the OP, so decided to start a new thread.

The quote below was cut in order to focus on a single item.
It's too bad Ford bundled 4th gear & TC lockup on the same OD switch; I'd prefer a 2-stage OD switch that allowed me to enable 4th gear but disable TC lockup.
I had never thought about having individual control of OD and TC Lock. I enjoyed imagining what that would be like, and how it could benefit performance. This imagination got me thinking about a car performance problem I have been experiencing, or was experiencing much more last year in the heat of the summer. Problem -or- No problem-> the situation is our ATX cars can get in 4th gear at low speeds with TC locking, and the car will bog down some because of a lack of torque-> and this is just part of ownership of a ATX 4-banger. Despite my desire to discuss the engine performance problem I was having, I want to instead ask about custom PCM tunes –and- the quote above. I realize the world of tunes for the ATX is small, but here we go anyway…

Has anyone in the world of tuning a Focus ever created something like a 2-stage OD switch that would allow 4th gear but disable the TC lockup? Seems like this kind of 2-stage switch would require a custom tune and physically adding a new switch huh?

If adding a “2-stage OD switch” is a little too far-fetched, here is my other question;

If using a custom tune, could I push a button and switch from normal performance to “sport mode”? Sport mode would do something like-> stay in 3rd gear a little longer than usual and not engage TC lockup until VSS was greater than (?) 55mph.

Jokes about buying a MTX car are expected and welcomed.

·
Registered
747 Posts
a custom tune is a good idea; I didn't think of that.

But, my reason for wanting a 2-position OD switch is boring & practical: alot of the roads in my area are 35 - 45 mph, so depending on traffic, I'll be driving along, hovering around 40mph, and the TC will lock...and then traffic will slow and it will unlock...and then traffic will speed-up and it will lock...and then the road will dip slightly and the vehicle will coast causing the TC to unlock...etc etc.

Maybe I should try replacing the OD switch with a dimmer switch, and then I could fine-tune my shifts.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Torque converter locking could be mechanical, and OD switch just controls fourth - don't know the details of this trans. myself.

·
C2H5OH
11,868 Posts
Electronic trans and converter control. So a custom tune would be best.

There's this option in the SCT software and IIRC the PCM is pinned for it (no wire though) called an 'Octane Switch'. I'm not really sure if it's something the car actually supports or just a name-place-holder.
I know the older Ford PCM's (EEC-IV) had that option, but the newer (EEC-V) I'm not sure.
But if it does/can work, maybe something could be modified through that to lock/unlock the converter. And then use the O/D button as normal. It'd be a bit of trial and error to get it working properly and making sure the Octane switch doesn't alter other things in the tune.
You'd have to talk to Tom and see if he'd want to spend that much time trying.

·
FF Affiliate
30,142 Posts
I just looked in a 2011 ECU code and the converter lock for 4th is 100% controllable by both MPH and TPS , I know I can control the shift by TPS and MPH so both those together , would that help what your talking about ?

Tom

·
Registered
374 Posts
4th gear is od but lockup is its own thing for example 3rd gear normally does not lock up converter but when od is cancelled lockup is enabled in 3rd gear

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just looked in a 2011 ECU code and the converter lock for 4th is 100% controllable by both MPH and TPS , I know I can control the shift by TPS and MPH so both those together , would that help what your talking about ?

Tom
Thanks. And with that 2011 code... there must be some kind of electrical control to enable/disable TC lock... right?

The problem I am having is my 2004 wire diagram shows nothing! So I am blind, or maybe it is auto-magically controlled.

Torque converter locking could be mechanical, and OD switch just controls fourth - don't know the details of this trans. myself.
All mechanical? Hmmmmm? Guess that's possible. Hurts my small brain when imagining that.

If using a custom tune, could I push a button and switch from normal performance to “sport mode”? Sport mode would do something like-> stay in 3rd gear a little longer than usual and not engage TC lockup until VSS was greater than (?) 55mph.
The answer to this seems to be NO. I found an >older SCT product< that mounts an optional dial, and claims to change tunes "on the fly" but I do not believe it is what I was asking for. I was asking for a button that would make instant changes to PCM controlled engine performance, i.e. -instantly uses different fuel/air map and disables TC lockup.

I once had a 1996 Saturn SL1 that had this (forgot the name of it) switch that changed the engine performance. I joked with everybody to hold on tightly, just before hitting that switch. Actually told them to place head firmly against the headrest to prevent whiplash. Good times.

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Tom,
Thank you for your help. I read that the door jam sticker is not the best way to verify the PCM Code, but my sticker says;

CUB1
PBO-240

Is that a good number for now or do I need to get additional info? Thanks again!

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tom,
My hope was to reveal several things; (1) what is the PCM logic-table to enable TC Lockup (2) what PCM pin/wire is used to perform TC Lockup (3) external of PCM what type of signal is it (4) does the PCM have feedback to verify TC Lockup is/is not engaged.

There were different reasons for wanting some or all of those items above.

#1 - Can TC Lockup be tuned? Answer seems to be-> yes. A tune of this however makes little sense because the intent was to have driver control of TC Lockup, -or find out if it is possible.

#2 - I could not find how it works in the wire diagram or after doing some web searches. I wanted to know for the sake of solving the mystery.

#3 - If we had all 4 questions (from above) answered, we would then know if and how someone could modify the car wiring and install a spoof & driver control of TC Lockup.

Thanks for your help and patience during this hunt.

·
FF Affiliate
30,142 Posts
Tom,
My hope was to reveal several things; (1) what is the PCM logic-table to enable TC Lockup (2) what PCM pin/wire is used to perform TC Lockup (3) external of PCM what type of signal is it (4) does the PCM have feedback to verify TC Lockup is/is not engaged.

There were different reasons for wanting some or all of those items above.

#1 - Can TC Lockup be tuned? Answer seems to be-> yes. A tune of this however makes little sense because the intent was to have driver control of TC Lockup, -or find out if it is possible.

#2 - I could not find how it works in the wire diagram or after doing some web searches. I wanted to know for the sake of solving the mystery.

#3 - If we had all 4 questions (from above) answered, we would then know if and how someone could modify the car wiring and install a spoof & driver control of TC Lockup.

Thanks for your help and patience during this hunt.
I cannot answer all of this , a wiring pin out from Frd would be the only place to go for the wiring question

There is 11 possible TPS / KPH settings that can be done , it can be turned off or off till a given TPS or KPH so thats a good bit of adjustability for both 3rd and 4th gears

There is also a MPH override OD cancel setting meaning you wont be able to cancel the OD above a given MPH , stock is set to 70

I have never looked but pritty sure you can log the TC / OD

Tom

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Tom. I am going to go hit my wire diagram book again. The info must/should be there and I missed it. I did a web search again and found an old post that had some eye-opening info. This guy has opened the door to a do-able mod that can control TC lock with drivers (new switch added) control. Note that he did it without direct control of the TC Lock.

Quote by DuncanFocus below:

I have a 2001 Focus Wagon SE, SPI engine. The car has around 215,000 Km (140,000 mi.) on it. The automatic transmission has worked well, but recently has shown some funny behavior when the transmission lockup clutch engages in 4th gear. With light engine load there is a jerky, shuddering feel. This goes away with more load, or if the wheels are pushing the engine.

I have read some info on this forum and in other forums. The problem could be a worn lockup clutch or solenoid issues. I don't think there are other issues, because I have figured out how to defeat engagement of the lockup clutch. When I do that, the car runs smoothly under all conditions. There are no scan codes being set by this problem.

How did I defeat engagement of the lockup clutch? I added a resistor in series with the thermistor that measures the ATX fluid temperature. With a 70 K ohm resistor in series, the engine control unit thinks the fluid is cool, and doesn't let the lockup clutch engage. The line pressure seems higher as well, so the shifts are firmer.

However, I don't want to permanently defeat the lockup clutch and give up good gas mileage. So I am wondering if anyone has advice on how I could further analyze this problem. I have read on the forum that solenoid B controls the lockup clutch, but that solenoid C also plays a role. I thought that solenoid B would be either on or off and could not therefore cause the jerky feel. But it is hard to know. I have not been able to find a good technical explanation of how the engine control unit controls these solenoids for lockup clutch control. I have a DVD of the "factory" manual, but even it is not clear. Throttle position, MAF, temperature, etc. all seem to play a role.

If I thought that changing some solenoids would fix the problem, I would do that. I am not so sure about getting a new torque converter or re-built transmission installed. That would be expensive, probably more than the car is worth.

DuncanFocus

@http://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/15998/ford/focus/ford-focus-transmission-problems/p18

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Tom,
I forgot to ask, next time you comb the CUB1 or similar code, do you see Trans Temp as an inhibitor of TC Lock?

1 - 20 of 65 Posts