Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so here's the story....

Installed a Procharger in my car back in Jan 2008. Drove it for the longest and about a couple months ago the trans was slipping...so after troubleshooting forever, it turned out, well what I thought, was the clutches. So the cost for a rebuild was around $1,200, so I said hell no. I poarked the car and it sat until today.

I decided to remove the Procharger and sell the kit in order to pay for another transmission. I came across a used trans with 30k miles for $275 so I bought it. I got the teansmission in, my new intake in, switched everything back to stock. Today I finally finished up doing all of that stuff and decided what the hell I have a new trans waiting to be installed, I'm going to take it for a quick drive.

Before I did that I installed my NA tune from Tom.

Well guess what? The damn transmission doesn't slip anymore. It shifts perfect!!!! What the hell happened between the time it started slipping and now? The car has been parked for about 2 months or so. I thought maybe it was because of the shift point changes that Tom made to the tune so I reinstalled the stock program to see if it would make any difference. And no difference it shifted fine into each gear.

Anybody have any idea what might have happened? [dunno]

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
By removing the charger you removed about 80ft/lbs of TQ from the trans. That was probably just past the grip limit of the stock trans. Lost grip because it heated faster from the added TQ. Remove that TQ and it takes longer for it to heat up and slip.

So yes it did sorta fix itself, but there is also added ware that is not reversible meaning that the life expectancy is far less than one with out.

·
GO Green
11,148 Posts
That makes sense. I'm going to hang on to this transmission I bought so I have a back up.
yea that is a steal for a trans with that many miles. Also yea, the atx is pretty low rank, it can't handle much power at all. I'm assuming you had a tune with the procharger, if not that probably didnt help any either.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts