Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I couldn't think of where to put a tranny question, so it's stuck here.

I have been trying to figure out what would work better, a new valve body for the auto-tragic or an SCT chip to reset the shift points.

From what I've read of the SCT chip (on the FocusSport site), it only resets the shift points at WOT, and I would like to "firm up" my tranny's shifting in all throttle positions. My '91 Camaro has a shift kit, and that did wonders for the driveability of the car. Isn't it possible to buy a new valve body for the ATX that will firm up the shifting? I'm not trying to buy an entirely new racing tranny for my daily driver, I just want something that will have a little less lag and be more fun to drive. So if anyone says, "Just buy a LenTech", I'll smack them.

So, does anybody have any experience with any of the above? Any ideas on where to get this from?

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, they sell entire rebuilt trannys too. All it is is a beefed up factory unit. From what I hear, the stock ATX can't handle tons of HP, but the levels that most of us throw at it are no problem. The Lentech trannys are more for dedicated racers, I believe.

Anyone have any experience with their valve bodies?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Turtle said:
No, they sell entire rebuilt trannys too. All it is is a beefed up factory unit. From what I hear, the stock ATX can't handle tons of HP, but the levels that most of us throw at it are no problem. The Lentech trannys are more for dedicated racers, I believe.

Anyone have any experience with their valve bodies?

actually they sell both...three stages of trannies and two different valve bodies...one with a line lock and one without...the one without is 380 bucks.....also performance automatics sells valve bodies.....and level ten......btw.....i hate to say it but....just buy a lentech valve body

·
Registered
209 Posts
Turtle said:
Okay, so I couldn't think of where to put a tranny question, so it's stuck here.

I have been trying to figure out what would work better, a new valve body for the auto-tragic or an SCT chip to reset the shift points.

im not sure if you can have the sct chip programed to increase the tranny fluid pressures at all times or not but if it could then thats an alternative as well......my personal opinion is get the valve body.....im kickin myself in da arse for net gettin it before and now im at a point to where i need it to keep my mind at ease........my next mod...is a lentech vlave body.... [thumb]

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
Go for the valve body, add a tranny fluid cooler (one better than the stocker), pick up the enlarged pan from Lentech (pricey, but worth it. The added drain plug will pay for itself, and the added capacity is a no brainer). Unless you have totally abused your tranny already, you will be in good shape for bolt ons and decent power. SCT is more for engine tuning, which is a good thing as well, and would be a good thing to do as well.
Lentech is not really racer only. They have a basic tranny, which was on sale last month for 1300 or so that will handle 175 whp. If I ever need a replacement, I will probably end up with one of those. They come with a lifetime warranty....that should pay for itself if you would ever need it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
W~Phoenix~{RC} said:
Would buying a shift kit improve the shifting any?

Cheers!
if by shift kit you mean valve body yes...it would increase the pressure in the tranny and therefore create faster more positive shifts.....if you mean new clutch packs and bands then i would say no...putting the high performance clutches in without the valve body would be a waste of the money because the lower pressure would still wear out the clutches under hard accelleration....

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, I appreciate all the responses.

I was pretty much already decided upon buying a new valve body, i just didn't from whom or if there was a better option. I must admit that the only automatic trannys that I'm really familiar with are the C4 and the C6 . . . . so I was really wondering if the same old tricks were the best still or if the fancy-shmancy computer crap was good for anything.

Guess I'll go with the Lentech valve body . . . next question: Anybody have any experience installing one in a focus? I work on my charger and my camaro, so I don't mind getting my hands dirty, but how tough of an install is this really?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts