Focus Fanatics Forum banner

101 - 117 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Ya if just going back and forth to work no. But I have a lead foot when it comes to the twisties and this setup with coilovers is like being on train tracks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm not sure how to really tell other then getting them swapped out. I saw a TSB for the Focus that talked about the control arms as being one of the possible culprits. It was for me, and I didn't know until I changed them. I also have done my shocks and struts, but the noise you are talking about in my case was the control arms.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I bought a 2009 FF coupe SES in Feb.2009 I only have 12,000 miles but for a while now It feels like the front wheels are going to fall off.

I haven't been on here since the purchase but came to look around and I'm glad I did. My car definitely has this symptom...Thanks

What's the warranty 36,000 or five years on this ??

·
Registered
1 Posts
Would the service bulletin still be in affect now even though it came out a while ago? My car has been doing this, but just now figured out what the problem is.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey I just joined this site and came to this section to see about rotors but I saw this thread. This sounds exactly like what my car does. It also creaks when I release the brake pressure. Now I am a complete no knowledge automotive student of 2 weeks. I have 2 weeks worth of knowledge basically. How much and where would I take my car to fix this? 2008 ford focus se coupe, I am not under warranty I don't think.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I just bought my car used from a dealership. I had a 30 day warrantee on it so I'm taking it back this weekend to see if this is covered and if this Bulletin will still be in effect on this car. The car has less than 43,000 miles on it so I'm not sure if the front suspension pieces were ever changed or not.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Driver

I had a lot of noise from the front right after I replaced the strut due to a leak. Sounds bad. Now that it's summer, I do not hear anymore clunking clacking noise. Now the ride feels soft. When loaded the rear wheels appear to toe in on the top of the wheel... I'm thinking a total strut & shock replacement. Any comments? I'm at 75,000 mi.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I guess I'm late to the party.
I'd been having this 'clunk' for some time now but put it on the back burner since riding my motorcycle most of the year. After noticing that one of my tires had some cupping, figured it might be a good idea to replace the front struts. Did that but still had the 'clunk' and usually just noticeable when backing out of the drive or just starting to drive first thing in the morning. Not that noticeable after I got moving.
I took the time one day to remove the driver side LCA and couldn't find anything loose. Kept riding the motorcycle til recently.
While I was considering replacing the lower control arms, decided to start cheap and replace the sway bar end links. Voila, clunk is gone. The Fomoco units still don't seem bad but they are very light weight compared to the MOOG 'problem solver' units. Seemed a bit pricey too at $33/ea. but, problem solved.
Then I saw this thread. DOH

·
Registered
26 Posts
It's a service bulletin. They recognize there is a problem with either design or assembly. Print out the bulletin off the OP and take it to them. They should cover it free.
My car is at the dealership right now having the front sway bar links replaced, cost will be ~$200. Car has about 55k on it, out of warranty.

Do you guys really think they should cover this for free?

Thanks.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I get a loud metal on metal clank sound when I have my wheel fully cranked to one side while moving over bumps or a slight slope. Is this the same as the pop/click this thread is addressing?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Replaced my sway bar links and still got the clunking sound. Throwing in new shocks/lca/inner+outter tie rods today. Will inspect everything to to see what's making the sound. But for some reason I'm thinking it's the sway bar hitting against something. Maybe the bushings are worn or the bracket is loose.

Edit: Okay just finished up and went out for a test drive. It was definitely the lower control arms. The inner bushing pretty much fell off as I pulled it out. Both sides too. Clunking is gone! Can't believe I dealt with that for for so many years.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Was convinced my problem was a torque strut mount (dogbone) or engine mount, since I have a manual, and I get some shaking when taking off (clutch grabbing). But I also have a clunk when driving over bumps. Replaced the torque strut mount, still have a clunk.

Front Stabilizer end links have been replaced previously because of this thread. They were bad, but noise stayed (less noise though)

Now I'm thinking it may be control arms, strut mounts, or either stabilizer bar or rack bushings.

Will update if I find anything.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The front end had rattling sounds. It happened to my '00 ZTS. When it started happeneing, i thought the wheel was loose or even possibly the brakes, but took it to the dealership and had them check it out. It turns out both of the factory sway bar links were shot.....not even 25k miles (car has 27k on it now after 1 1/2 years)
The sway bar links are a known wear item on 2000-2003 Focuses. I think Ford recommends you check/replace them every 30K miles. I've had to replace mine 3 times in 220K. They're not hard to do, just jack up one corner at a time and remove the wheel. There's one nut each on top & bottom. When they wear out or if the nuts come loose (happened twice on me) you get a rattle going over small bumps or a popping/creaking noise on tight low speed turns.

101 - 117 of 117 Posts