Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
FF Affiliate
30,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been working with some KIA Projects for some time and dabbling in there tuning software on some builds , I just got back from seeing these engines assembled

KIA , Toyota , Mazda and a few others are running these engines now , I hope this isnt where the Combustion Engine is heading

I have 2 of the KIA Atkinson engines at the shop and taking them apart next Month to see if new stronger parts can be made

None the less its interesting sense the Atkinson was designed in 1882 , its been used in a few Cars for years but now its going mainstream

Tom

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
I'll stick to the basic engine. I believe most of the hybrids use that engine.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
That's not the only revised valve timing style coming into use, I read one recently on VW's version named for their guy who came up with it (sorry, poor memory).

VW's basically reversed the Atkinson IIRC, with a different changed valve timing (from Otto Cycle) to result in variable cylinder fill.

Engine that switch strategies for power vs. cruise seem to be the best application for the latest tech of this type, the Atkinson as a full time solution is aimed at more constant load operation (electrics).

·
FF Affiliate
30,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can remember the Cadillac 4-6-8 where under power it ran on all 8 , steady Hwy cruise ran on 4Cyl , Light throttle on 6 Cyl

Had all kinds of issues and didnt last long

Tom

·
3rd Time's the Charm
1,943 Posts
So, if the Atkinson cycle engine is simply a re-thinking on valve timing to adjust the fill strategy on the cylinder.

I'm assuming they want to see if there's tweaking to be done as far as mixture, timing events, etc on an NA engine. Well of course. There's always room for error built into the OE configuration. There will still be a deficit in power due to the timing events, though... rough equivalent to a much much lower compression motor, which seems counter intuitive.

If turbo/supercharger, it's a no brainer, just turn up the boost.

·
Registered
16,210 Posts
'I can remember the Cadillac 4-6-8 where under power it ran on all 8 , steady Hwy cruise ran on 4Cyl , Light throttle on 6 Cyl'

X2, the horror was back at the time you could only get the entire injector setup in an assembly of 8 in a unitized harness and the assembly cost a typical Cadillac price of around $800. Lots of them got changed too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts