Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i haven't been to the track in a long time and my latest times and numbers are in my sig. i know i need to work on my reaction times and my 60' and i launch at around 3500 but i pop the clutch. i don't spin or hop off the line, would feathering the clutch help at all or am i just launching at too low of an rpm? i'm in missouri so the elevation is a little higher than some of the people i see with the same mods as me and they are running low 16's and high 15's so i know my car is good for it but i can't seem to get there.

look at the first time slip, the right lane. he had the same mods as me when he did this and came up with a 15.96

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=80779&perpage=12&pagenumber=1

·
( o Y o )
5,549 Posts
That was when I was "dumping" the clutch from about 2500 rpms if I remember right (this was way backin Jan). I have found feathering greatly improves 60's (by a 1/10 of a sec when I did it in 85+ degree heat and 90%+ humidity) I also like to shift around 6k-6200 rpms, it puts 2nd right in that sweet spot. I have tried "power shifting" (my method is holding the gas and still using the clutch) but for some strange reason I bog. When I let up on the gas slightly as I shift Ive found I do better. People say Im a good driver....I dont know about that though...When I feather now I hold my rpms at about 4k and after you get rolling for the first 5-10 ft let the clutch out.

What do other people think?

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
well when I went to the track I launched at 4500rpms and try to feather the clutch the best I could. my best time was 15.8 at 85.44 mph my r/t was .209 my best reaction time though was .132 my 60' 2.394 my best 60' time was 2.383 but that was'nt on my best run though. I don't remebr exactly how hot it was but it was definitly 95+ texas weather and humidity. I would shift at 6200 to 6500rpm no less I just would'nt make a good time unless I reved the crap out of it which is strange cause street racing I shift a 6000rpm cause I make no power past 5500rpm. but shifting at 6500 rpms drops the motor right in the sweet spot of 4500 rpm where it makes the mos TQ. Oh and I let off when I shift I just shift very fast. I can't wait till I put my cam gears on this weekend or next that will help greatly with my trap speed I know it. Oh and do you shift into 4th or do you hold 3rd out I had to hold 3rd out or I would loose time on one run I actully hit the rev limiter which suprised me I though that would be a good time but it was'nt.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
my ATX focus ran a best of 10.6 in 100+ degree weather with a full tank of gas. (was 10.4 in winter with less mods) what all mods do you have? i'd say your times are pretty good.

mtx vs atx isfunny. i never get past 2nd gear on the track.

some number popped up on the bilboard when i was racing, it was like 1.66 ...i dont know
what that means. maybe i saw it wrong and it said .166? i dont know.

lol ps. btw, we have the same body kit.[thumb]

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i shift at about 6200 and hold out third but i've never hit the rev limiter at the end of the run. my third is good till about 87 so i never top out.

^i run on a 1/4 mile track so i hit the top of third and you are on an 1/8th mile which is why you never get past 2nd.

thanks to all for the input. next time i'm at the track i'll give your suggestions a try.

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
How many times did you run? I was lucky and there were'nt many people I ran my car alot and I mean alot back to back I got pretty good. I was nervous like a little kid my first run after that I felt like a pro lol

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
first of all...I have said this in other threads...Reaction time doesn't mean squat for yout E.T. The timer does not start until you cross the launch beams.

Second, for our cars, especially front wheel drive. Slipping the clutch will yield better times. Unless your car is setup with traction bars, slicks, and a LSD, dumping the clutch at a high RPM will just make you spin and wheel hop.

I prefere to slip the clutch at about 3500, and shift the gears thereafter around 6000. I have also experimented with shifting "early" into 4th to get a little more mph out of the car and it works. I shift into fourth around 5500, sometimes just 6000. Mind you, this is very close to the traps, but the gear ratio is a little taller in 4th gaining more mph. It might feel sluggish, but ringing out 3rd gear by wasting revs that have power fall off is pointless.

some number popped up on the bilboard when i was racing, it was like 1.66 ...i dont know what that means. maybe i saw it wrong and it said .166? i dont know.
that usually is your reaction time. Some tracks do a reaction time, then your 60' time.

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
I tried foruth but it just did'nt work for me but like I said before I was having a little problem with my airfilter that fell off and was half blocking my MAF the next time I go I'm going to bring my CIA and swithc between the 2. My car feels like it has a lot more oomph in the low end with the short ram on but the CIA feels like it has a little more oomph on the top end or I should say the power does'nt fall off has bad with the CIA. And dumping the clutch is just a wheel spin produceing move slipping the clutch yeilded the best for me but at first I was just dumping.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^sleepy- i run up at the track in Kansas City and there are usually a lot of cars, bikes, four wheelers, junior drag, drag, and pro modifieds that run but i usually average about four to five runs every time i go. i don't get nervous at all i just don't understand completely the dynamics of running on a track. i'm so used to back home, in tyler, tx, me and my buddies would drag at one of their private property roads, it's about a mile straight stretch, with cars that we have worked on and refurbished and sometimes our own, so i'm new to the whole stage and light thing like at the track.

^ken- i've never dumped my clutch at high rpms, i do it at about 3500 and i don't get any wheelspin or hop when i do it. i just pop it and go.

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
focusfreak03 said:
^sleepy- i run up at the track in Kansas City and there are usually a lot of cars, bikes, four wheelers, junior drag, drag, and pro modifieds that run but i usually average about four to five runs every time i go. i don't get nervous at all i just don't understand completely the dynamics of running on a track. i'm so used to back home, in tyler, tx, me and my buddies would drag at one of their private property roads, it's about a mile straight stretch, with cars that we have worked on and refurbished and sometimes our own, so i'm new to the whole stage and light thing like at the track.

I lucked out and there were not that many people there alot of buicks though the most GN's I ever seen in one spot. A few Hyiabusa's which ran 9's at 160 mph wicked fast. I was new to it and the guys at the starting line were very helpful telling me what to do and most of all they told have fun which I really liked. I was nervous cause I did'nt know what to do. Stageing and all of that I was the first to run so I did'nt get to see where to stop and what not but after the first few runs it was on. It was the most fun I ever had. Though I do give this advise avoid the burn out box its useless for street tire unless you want to wear them down very fast. I kept having to dirve around it and the guy would never llok at me waveing my hands to tell him to stop spraying water on the track I did'nt need it but a well it was still a blast I don't plan on going again till I get my cam gears installed and maybe some new tires.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Whats your complete mod list?

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
focusfreak03 said:
ken- i've never dumped my clutch at high rpms, i do it at about 3500 and i don't get any wheelspin or hop when i do it. i just pop it and go.
Well, apparently, dumping the clutch isn't working because your 60 foot times are bad. I have a feeling you are spinning and you don't know it or you are bogging. If you do a hard burnout on street tires, the tires won't get sticky, they just get slippery. If you aren't doing a burnout and you dump the clutch at 3500, you will spin, nuff said. So either way, if you didn't do a burnout or not, you must have spun, or you bogged because the track was super sticky. Did you bog? Something must have gone wrong when you launched or else your 60' time would have been a 2.2 or lower with your launch with no spin or wheelhop.

With street tires on a FWD car, the BEST way to launch is slipping the clutch. Do a small dry hop burnout without going through the water box to get the rocks and stuff off the tires. Then go up to the line, rev the car to about 3500 and when 3rd yellow light comes down, lightly let up on the clutch to get the car moving, then let out all the way and cram your foot to the floor and shift away. I have still yet to complete this without tire spin in my 1-2 shift, but I make more power than you do.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
^silver- who are you asking for a mods list

^ken-i'll give what you said a try; thanx for the heads up and the suggestions

1 - 13 of 13 Posts