Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, ok we all know that magnetic fuel savers don't work. I tried one years ago, wasted some money on it, and a friend who is a chemical engineer tried one with no success either. Back in November, my father called me to tell me that there was a report on the news about a magnetic fuel saver, and he thought I'd be interested. I watched, they tested it on a dyno with a sniffer, and then on the road: it worked. Now, this thing, as you will see if you watch the video on the page I link to, is monstrous compared to the little thingy's my friend and I bought years ago. It's also considerably more expensive at $300+ installed according to the news report. Regardless of money back guarantees (don't believe that marketing ploy) there's no way I'd spend that kind of change on something that may or may not work.

I started experimenting a couple of months ago with NeFeB or rare earth magnets, and gathered all the hints at the strength of the magnets used in the EnergyCel from their documentation. I did notice a power increase, but I have no way to measure it. I have not noticed any mpg difference on a Focus, but that might be due to the way that Ford programs the ECU. I did notice a 4 mpg gain in my mother's Pontiac Montana after 3 weeks. I figured that someone might want to investigate this stuff themselves, or follow my lead to install their own magnetic fuel saver with neodyium magnets on their own. If you do decide to try- read all the safety considerations on the magnet site, and be very careful. I've broken two magnets, gotten a blood blister, and ripped a shirt. These are not toys and are extremely strong.

I tried several configurations with different strengths, and I think that two 1/2 x 1/4 x 4" N35-SH (4 total) on either side of the fuel line in repelling polarity on a Duratec in the location I show gives a gain without being a hassle to install. EnergyCel recommends installation under the vehicle, but there's not enough room for that kind of install on a Focus because of how the fuel lines are clamped together.

Magnet 4 Less :Look for N35-SH magnets at the bottom of the page $6.50 each.

EnergyCel Video :This is a page where you can see the test video, look for News Channel 3 in the upper left hand corner of the page

EnergyCel Home Page :You can read more about the EnergyCel product, installation recommendations, pictures of the product. No prices, and from what I understand it's sold through some sort of multi-level marketing program- another turn off IMO. Helping the ECU to remap by holding engine rpm at 2k for 10 minutes after resetting the ECU helps decrease the time it takes to feel results. I didn't do it on Mom's van, and it took 2 tanks to see +4 mpg.

Here's my installs, try to position any magnets as close to the firewall as possible to avoid the camshaft position sensor on the front side of the valve cover. The brake level switch won't be affected. To install, zip tie two magnets to one side tightly, then loop but not tighten two zip ties around the magnets and fuel line. Slide the next set of magnets through the zip ties. You will need to mostly tighten the zip ties to help hold the second set in place- there will be 50+ lbs of force fighting you. Work the zip ties and magnets down the fuel line until the second set is parallel from the first. Tighten zip ties, and add as many more as you wish to hold the configuration together. This is easier to write than it is to do.

Two magnets in triangular configuration and the aluminum contraption to hold them in place. I wanted to do more, but didn't have enough magnets.

Single magnets in triangular configuration held together with electrical tape and zip ties. Not easy to do, but similarly effective as two on either side.

Be VERY careful, these magnets are impossibly strong!!!!

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
myth busters already this guys nothing

·
Registered
496 Posts
Why don't racers use these?
What in the gas is affected by the magnets?
Sounds like ad-man speak to me!

For about $100.00 you can have your fuel system chemically power flushed. And this actually works.

·
Premium Member
21,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOL- hence the title. I wonder how bad I'd be thrashed, I can't wait until tonight when more people get online.

A: I'm not selling anything, and I won't be. I work for pay by the hour, I'm lazy, and I don't need the hassle of selling stuff online. Don't buy that EnergyCel thing it's too expensive for the gains, exhaust costs the same and definately provides more hp and better FE.
B: I never said it did anything for my Focus' FE, but it seems to be working on my mom's van. If I had to describe the difference I did notice it would be less than the Stealth CAI I installed that was dynoed at +3hp that gave me 2 mpg.
C: Experiment at your own risk, but please pay close attention to the camshaft position sensor. Magnetic fields will definately screw with the Hall Effect sensor.
D: If all else fails, and you're really clever, you can build a really cool levitation sculpture using the magnets and amaze your friends. I'll be glad to give ideas to anyone wants to do that too.
E: I'm probably going to delete this thread later, so get your licks in while you can [B)]

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
this seems really cool, but im confused on the configuration of the magnets..

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
BlazingCopper_ZX3 said:
Why don't racers use these?
What in the gas is affected by the magnets?
Sounds like ad-man speak to me!

For about $100.00 you can have your fuel system chemically power flushed. And this actually works.
or dump a table spoon of top engine cleaner into your gas tank

and the rest through the throttle body...

and for 6.50 you have yourself the best chemicle flush you can buy

·
Registered
496 Posts
I don't think anyone is trashing you.
Stuff like that just makes you go hmmm...

I read the articles on their site but I don't quite buy it, the science that is, once the fuel has passed the magnets and the molecular "clusters" are "expanded" what is to keep the molecules from re-clustering in the two feet or so of fuel line prior to being atomized by the fuel injectors?

Now assuming this is true perhaps in a carbureted engine that you could attach the magnets to the fuel line right up next to the carb it might work.
But I question any benefit putting this devise very far down the fuel line. Assuming their science isn’t bogus of course.

But ya gotta wonder when the company's name is XXX Marketing Group, L.P.!!

·
Registered
930 Posts
I wouldn't think the field gradient would be enough to matter. You would need a lot of energy to start effecting gasoline in this way.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I installed them on my "94 Ranger and had nothing in the way of HP or mileage increases, but I did have the tail pipe sniffed and the HC levels dropped a LOT!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I installed them on my '89 Firebird and had nothing in the way of HP or mileage increases, but I did grow my hair back!

/not just the president! Client too!

J/K :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts