Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I just vent?? I took my 2001 zetec wagon 5-speed to get tires and alignment. Drove car out, alignment great. About 1/4 mile down road kept hearing a “crunch” when I shifted. “That’s different” I thought to myself. Pulled shifter boot off at next light , peeked down and saw a cracked shifter base. Drive straight back and caught manager as he was driving out.

Good news, he was very receptive. He could tell I took care of the car and agreed to replace it, no cost. Talked to him today and he said his mech told him he had trouble putting it in reverse. Wishing I had done a plunger delete, but he agreed that was the likely culprit (aka, a young mech who is not familiar tried to yank it into reverse).

Anyhow , thanks for listening. Nothing’s easy I guess.

·
Registered
148 Posts
A mechanic that doesn't know how to operate a gear shift, I would get it fixed and find another shop. How long has the button been around?? Glad they are least honest though.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Cool. All you can ask is that they make it right - and they are. Don't forget, we all started out as kids who didn't know everything.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
A mechanic that doesn't know how to operate a gear shift, I would get it fixed and find another shop. How long has the button been around?? Glad they are least honest though.
Im not cutting the mechanic any slack but Ford actually eliminated the reverse lockout 'pullup ring' on the Focus 5-speed shifter after 2005.

Paul

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It’s a good teachable moment for a young mech. But on someone else’s car please ?. The manager seems very level headed and had good rapport with staff. A “happy” garage if you will.

Part comes in tomorrow...hopefully install this weekend.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Having driven a stick most of my life (learned on a S-10 pickup then got an Acura Integra), I was a bit baffled when I was going to do some work on my daughter's fiance's car, a 6-speed Mazda 3. I couldn't get the damn thing into reverse - it kept just going into reverse gear. So, even though I was a bit embarrassed, I had her give him a quick call. Once you know to push down on the shifter, it's a piece of cake! Fortunately, I didn't force it into gear so nothing got broken but suffice it to say that this was a totally new concept to me.

·
FUBARCUS
7,767 Posts
Im not cutting the mechanic any slack but Ford actually eliminated the reverse lockout 'pullup ring' on the Focus 5-speed shifter after 2005.

Paul
I cut the lockout off my '03 Focus when I did some different interior mods and set things up for autocross.

Only problem is my other car is a 6 speed. One time I forgot which car I was driving and I went to skip shift from 4th to 6th except 6th was actually reverse[bigcry][bigcry][bigcry]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts