Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK - So, here's the WHOLE story - NEED INPUT!

Car is a Ford Focus ZX3 - 2003 - 3 VIN 2.0

PROBLEM:

I come to a complete stop at a light, make a right turn, and the car dies.
I try to re-start the car (Key and Popping Clutch) but it doesn't start

WHAT WE THOUGHT:
Must be a wire short or a blown fuse
Could be something electrical because the alarm had been acting weird for about a month or so - arming and disarming its self

WHAT WE TRIED AND DISCOVERED
Tested all the fuses with a fuse tester (friend is an electrician) Fuese were good
Disarmed the alarm but realized it wasn't the alarm because the car was still turning over but not catching to start
Car is getting power to all areas
Disconnected the fuel feed to the injectors and fuel is NOT the problem (turned the car over and fuel spit out like a fountain)

Checked the wires plugs and wires - NO SPARK!
Bought a new ignition coil pack and replaced it -
STILL NO SPARK!
Disconnected battery for 24 hours and let computer reset
STILL NO SPARK!

ANY IDEAS?

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
did you reconnect your alarm I have had that problem in cars with an alarm. Or it could be you crank position sensor if thats not work your car won't have any spark because the computer will never know when to fire. Though I have never heard of them going out. The only reson why mine did that was because I swapped motors out and one was from an auto so it did'nt work with the manual transmission. Its a pain to change out you have to drop the transmission so I would do it till you know for sure. I bet it is problably your alarm since you have been having problems with it disarming and arming itself. I would almost bet money on it. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Pull the little 3-wire plug off the coil pack. Turn the ignition switch to the "run" position, and check for 12v at the plug (the green/blue wire). If you have nothing there, it might be the alarm system keeping it dead. If you have 12v there, you are ready to enter the sensor-ECU-high-tech wonderland. Good luck.

After thought- I seem to recall a ford tech stating on the boards here that it was common for the wires to burn off or break off at that plug. There is a service plug available. So look it over closely.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
JScalice292 said:
OK - So, here's the WHOLE story - NEED INPUT!

Car is a Ford Focus ZX3 - 2003 - 3 VIN 2.0

PROBLEM:

I come to a complete stop at a light, make a right turn, and the car dies.
I try to re-start the car (Key and Popping Clutch) but it doesn't start

WHAT WE THOUGHT:
Must be a wire short or a blown fuse
Could be something electrical because the alarm had been acting weird for about a month or so - arming and disarming its self

WHAT WE TRIED AND DISCOVERED
Tested all the fuses with a fuse tester (friend is an electrician) Fuese were good
Disarmed the alarm but realized it wasn't the alarm because the car was still turning over but not catching to start
Car is getting power to all areas
Disconnected the fuel feed to the injectors and fuel is NOT the problem (turned the car over and fuel spit out like a fountain)

Checked the wires plugs and wires - NO SPARK!
Bought a new ignition coil pack and replaced it -
STILL NO SPARK!
Disconnected battery for 24 hours and let computer reset
STILL NO SPARK!

ANY IDEAS?
I hate when crap like this happens. Sometimes when I'm driving along and everything is just hunky doory, I think about posts like this and wonder "OMG...my car could crap out for no reason at any second."

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Re: Re: Argh! No Spark

dazada said:
I hate when crap like this happens. Sometimes when I'm driving along and everything is just hunky doory, I think about posts like this and wonder "OMG...my car could crap out for no reason at any second."
What? Don't worry about a thing... when the inevitable happens, you have all of us here to help you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2001 ZX3 wouldn't start below freezing. Would start above freezing. Turned out to be the COIL pack. There is some electronics in there and not just coils that can lift off the board when the epoxy contracts when freezing. When it's warmer, it makes contact and works. Took a couple months to sort out.

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
If you have -------- in the cluster there is commonly a black/orange or black/yellow small wire that often gets overlooked on the ground side of battery and it breaks. PCM ground wire.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts