Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a month ago, I posted a thread here askin about different replacement headlamp bulbs when my driver side headlight burnt out. I ended up choosing phillips Blue Vision bulbs. They are a tad brighter than the OEM, but nothin to write home about. Ever since I put them in, however, I've had people flashin their highbeams at me, I guess becasue they think I have mine on. Now, for the first couple of days, it was pretty amusing. I'd have cars coming towards me on the highway flashin their brights, and I'd mutter somthing to myself along the lines of "He he, you think THOSE are bright? Try these!" Then i'd flash my brights, and they would stop... But after a few days it lost it's amusment value, and over the last month it's just gotten damn annoying. Tonight I went to the movies with a couple of friends (Butterfly Effect. pretty damn good, i thouroghly enjoyed it) and on the drive home (about 25 minutes, 15 of which is on the highway) I had 5 cars flash their lights at me. 3 where out on the highway, 2 where in town. And this is after midnight, so there isnt a whole lotta traffic. Anybody else have experiences like this with aftermarket bulbs? From my perspective in the car, they dont seem to be terribly bright. is it possible i knocked one or both of the headlights out of alignment when changing the bulbs, so that they're aimed to high, or somthing? Or am i just gonna have to switch bulbs to get this to stop....... [?|]

·
Registered
639 Posts
when i got my piaa xtreme white bulbs, i had some people flash their lights at me too. i just thought that they were aimed too high. so i lowed them a bit, and havent had a problem since

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Not sure if you gotta pull the headlamp to change the bulbs, but are the lamps installed correctly? Are the bulbs sitting flush? Those are the only reasons why I can imagine why you'd have problems...

If you want to check the alignment it's pretty easy. I've used this method for all the auxillary lighting I have on my truck and don't get flashed.

1.) Park your car on level ground 25 feet away from a wall facing it.

2.) Measure up from the ground to the center of the lamp (where the bulb would be).

3.) Make a mark (I used tape, but you could use marker, chalk or anything to help you) on the wall using the measurement for the lamp.

4.) Measure down 2 inches from that mark and make another mark.

5.) Turn on your LOWBEAMS. The top of the beam should NOT be above the 2nd mark! If it is adjust until it isn't. Your highbeams should be adjusted automatically doing this procedure.

The only way I could see people flashing you is because blue light scatters more than yellow light. I myself find it very annoying when people have the blue lightbulbs in their vehicles! I haven't gotten flashed (by a vehicle) for a while, but I know I would win the highbeam wars with nearly 1,000,000 candlepower (I can see clearly for over a quarter mile) at the flip of a switch! [8D]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts