Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fan blew up into the radiator (2003 5 speed Zetec) so I pulled a radiator from the salvage yard from a Duratec auto trans car. I didn't think it mattered since the auto trans cooler is separate from the rad but now the new rad doesn't seem to have a port for the overflow/expansion tank. I threw away the original rad so I can't compare now and I'm having trouble finding the answers!

Attachments

·
Registered
16,356 Posts
Same here, I love that color/striping scheme...........go to Rock Auto website and look up the different rads there, they have clear pics of them.

·
Registered
16,356 Posts
I went myself and some are the same but later ones for ATX are not, they seem to be missing the big port low down on the pass side that attaches to the plastic bottle.

You could put a 'T' fitting in that attached to the bottom rad hose at the smaller one and very close to the way Contour zetec 4's used to run without that rad fitting. Those instead of a three way lower hose had FIVE way hoses on them. The plastic bottle communicated with the water pump entry instead of bottom of rad.

Or, back to the yards for another rad.............

·
Registered
16,356 Posts
Like he says that is best..............the side tanks being plastic are life limited just like the fans and you see what happened to them. BTDT, the fans come apart quick when they do it and you pretty much lose the rad when it happens. The side tanks crack with age and pretty much unannounced in the same way. New is the only way to stave that off and the bane of so many plastic parts being used today, it will severely limit the amount of older cars later when all the spares dry up to have cars going to the scrapyards for lack of what should be easy to find parts. Many plastic parts in the yards can turn to dust just by scraping them with a fingernail, you'll find them but they are not worth putting on. There won't be many classics of these in the future in 25 years due to that and just the way the OEMs want it, it sells more new cars.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts