Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What are abnormal sounds for the MTX75 drivetrain?

Hi all!

Two weeks ago I purchased a brand new 2014 Focus SE Hatchback with the MTX75, the Touring/Sport suspension, and the 17" wheels. I've since put 600 miles on it and would really like to like it, but have developed several concerns over some of the noises that it makes.

D1) When the cluth is slowly engaged in 1st/R without gas the drivetrain makes horrible clanking noises as it dips to 500-750 rpm and loses all power. When engaged extremely gently the engine can still dip down for a brief moment.
D2) After engaging 1st/R with gas and then abruptly disengaging the clutch from 1st/R while decelerating will cause a similar rattling noise.
D3) The car makes a faint grinding while in 1st and 2nd under 2.5k RPM. 3rd, 4th, and 5th do not exhibit this noise.
D4) If the clutch is engaged in N while at a stop the car will start making a faint mechanical noise. The sound disappears when the clutch is disengaged. From what I've read this is likely gear roll over but I'm including it in case it's related to the other issues.
D5) Occasionally at idle the engine will start making a louder clicking noise. Revving the engine usually causes this sound to go away.
D6) Occasionally the front of the car will make a clunk noise as it goes over bumps. Other times it will handle road imperfections with greater aplomb.

There are also a dissapointing amount of noises from inside the cabin. I'm unsure of whether it's build quality or the natural results of stiffer suspension with larger tires.

C1) There is an occasional rattle from inside the driver's B column.
C2) There is an occasional buzzing from the dashboard near the instrument cluster.
C3) There are occasional squeaks from the entire dashboard.
C4) There are occasional rattles and buzzing noises from the rear of the vehicle.

I'm tempted to take the vehicle back to the dealer but I'm curious to hear what your opinions are. I'll be honest that I'm a little dissapointed as my Mk1 Fusion had far fewer of these issues and this Mk3 Focus is the first new vehicle I've ever purchased.

Thanks for your time! [:)]

·
Registered
39 Posts
C2) There is an occasional buzzing from the dashboard near the instrument cluster.
C4) There are occasional rattles and buzzing noises from the rear of the vehicle.[:)]
No idea on the MTX75 specific items as mine is an early-production 2012 sedan with the DCT, but as for the four items I quoted, mine occasionally does all four. I agree, it's highly disappointing. Good news is, your vehicle is under the 3/36 basic warranty, meaning all of what you've named is theoretically covered.

This may or may not be applicable: My New Car Tried to Kill Me! Can I Return It?

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
D1) When the cluth is slowly engaged in 1st/R without gas the drivetrain makes horrible clanking noises as it dips to 500-750 rpm and loses all power. When engaged extremely gently the engine can still dip down for a brief moment.
D2) After engaging 1st/R with gas and then abruptly disengaging the clutch from 1st/R while decelerating will cause a similar rattling noise.
D3) The car makes a faint grinding while in 1st and 2nd under 2.5k RPM. 3rd, 4th, and 5th do not exhibit this noise.
D4) If the clutch is engaged in N while at a stop the car will start making a faint mechanical noise. The sound disappears when the clutch is disengaged. From what I've read this is likely gear roll over but I'm including it in case it's related to the other issues.
D5) Occasionally at idle the engine will start making a louder clicking noise. Revving the engine usually causes this sound to go away.
D6) Occasionally the front of the car will make a clunk noise as it goes over bumps. Other times it will handle road imperfections with greater aplomb.

There are also a dissapointing amount of noises from inside the cabin. I'm unsure of whether it's build quality or the natural results of stiffer suspension with larger tires.

C4) There are occasional rattles and buzzing noises from the rear of the vehicle.

I'm tempted to take the vehicle back to the dealer but I'm curious to hear what your opinions are. I'll be honest that I'm a little dissapointed as my Mk1 Fusion had far fewer of these issues and this Mk3 Focus is the first new vehicle I've ever purchased.
D1-- 2.0L ti-vct has no power until 1250 rpm (fuel saving,weak idle) ,its in the owner manual ;)
D2 -- Sounds like the dual mass flywheel rattle
D3 -- it's gear whine (yes they are helical cut but they do whine a little if you take attention)
Hell on my motorcycle its worse, half of the noise at low rpm is overtaken by transmission gears until rpm is higher and engine make more noise.

D4 is the gear rollover perfectly normal! Mine rattle like a old diesel john deer at idle in the traffic. (Only hear when windows down and radio off)

D5 is the same as previous, rattling of gears are because of the low idle make the whole tranny shake.

All the MTX-75 trannies (yours) from focus 2000 to today rattle like this.
BUT this tranny is solid! I'd rather have something that rattle but is proven years after years than something new (ex: 6 speed) all full of problem (see mazda3 2010+ MT6 premature clutch failure)

You need to turn the radio on and stop searching for problems :p

As for the trim/dash rattle, all car do this at some point but some are more susceptible than others (Like the Focus)!

Lots of questions :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts