Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or, do they all eventually fall prey to this issue of the clutch slipping?

Don't get me wrong, I love my car and would really like to keep it for the long term, meaning 15-20+ years but everywhere I look online suggests that the DCT trans might not last thru next year... I'm sure most owners who are happy with their auto Focus's are'nt online complaining about the car and maybe its just the ones who do have problems are the ones posting, but wow...just do a simple google search on Focus dct and there are hundreds of pages out there full of customer complaints, not very confident inspiring...

Both me & my wife own '14 Focus. we are both hardcore Ford fans & love the car, however unfortunatly hers has a intermittent stutter/slip on take off & slow driving, such as parking lots etc. that is driving her (no pun) crazy...
She has 6700 miles, mine on the other hand drives solid & no stutter at all. Not sure if lucky, or what.

I want a realistic idea of what to expect from other long term focus owners...my '14 focus se hatchback currently has just over 600 miles, and the only issue is the dealer needed to order a new drivers side seat frame, seems like mine had a bad weld from the factory, it has a ridiculous squeak that developed a few days of owning it. Never heard of that happening before....jeez... But other than that, car runs well, like a new car should.

Should I start putting money aside in a savings account for a new trans or clutch now? (i know the warranty wil cover it, but I mean for later when it runs out, then what do i do?)

Would Ford ever develope a software update or clutch revision that will cure the problems for good?

Is it a realistic idea to convert the car to manual yrs later, down the road?

With the wifes car doing the occasional stutter from take off & parking lots, is that enough reason to bring to Ford & have them look at it? Or would they say that's "normal"? It shifts very smoothly, just stutters upon takeoff, especially after running errands around town for a few hours...

·
Registered
747 Posts
I'd get rid of mine but I don't want to take the price hit. I don't have any faith in this transmission. Had parts replaced at 20k and 10k later it's starting to have trouble again. I consider buying this car a mistake.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Ohhhh boy, this issue is a rats' nest. Many of the longer DCT threads tend to result in some interesting discussions. Don't go down the rabbit hole.

Basically, the answer to that question isn't at all unanimous. There are plenty who believe that the DCT was, is, and always will be flawed. There are those who believe that it's a fantastic transmission and the people without problems are the people not sitting on the forums. Also, there are those who recognize its issues but choose to mitigate them or look past them altogether.

I want a realistic idea of what to expect from other long term focus owners...my '14 focus se hatchback currently has just over 600 miles, and the only issue is the dealer needed to order a new drivers side seat frame, seems like mine had a bad weld from the factory, it has a ridiculous squeak that developed a few days of owning it. Never heard of that happening before....jeez... But other than that, car runs well, like a new car should.

Should I start putting money aside in a savings account for a new trans or clutch now? (i know the warranty wil cover it, but I mean for later when it runs out, then what do i do?)
100,000 miles is a long time to have something warrantied. If you see yourself owning both cars that long, then I would do one of two things: If there ever is a definitive fix that sends almost nobody back to the dealer...get that. If by the time you hit 90k there is none, insist that the work be done before 100k so that you'll have some more time with it.

That is of course if you end up having major issues with it.

Would Ford ever develope a software update or clutch revision that will cure the problems for good?
See above. Maybe they will, maybe they won't.

There was one user who has done it. I can't remember his name but it required pulling a whole bunch of parts from a MK3 or MK2 Focus and a lot of time. But it can be done.

With the wifes car doing the occasional stutter from take off & parking lots, is that enough reason to bring to Ford & have them look at it? Or would they say that's "normal"? It shifts very smoothly, just stutters upon takeoff, especially after running errands around town for a few hours...
They would say that's normal. The criteria for replacement is pretty limiting, though that's not to say that in the future you can't have the work done. The problems she is experiencing are very normal for the type of driving she's doing.

BTW -- to answer your original question there are those of us who have almost no trouble. I'm at 53k miles, with no work ever done to my trans, and apart from a few shutters in the heat or after a long trip, she runs like a top.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Here's a data point for everyone.

I drive our '13 Focus (odometer is ~20,000 miles) every day to commute to work. Plenty of stop lights, but rarely stop and go traffic. I rarely have issues with the transmission.

My wife on the other hand only drives the Focus occasionally, mostly on weekends, for errands. She seems to always have the issue with the transmission.

I definitely believe that driving style is a significant factor. I'm very conscious of the mileage on the car and drive in a manner to try to maximize it (within reason, I'm not one of those hyper milers that will coast for 2 miles at 30 mph). My wife doesn't abuse the Focus, but she drives it just like every other car we have ever owned.

The difference could be that the transmission's computer is optimizing based on my driving style and thus producing a horrible driving experience for my wife. Maybe this is even worse for someone who shares the vehicle 50/50 with someone else. Thus the car can never figure out a driving profile that works for both drivers, thus creating a horrible experience for both.

This doesn't make it right and I'm not sure what Ford should have done differently in their advertising materials.

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts

The short answer is no.

The long answer is absolutely not. You will spend a fortune and will end up with a bastardized car. It makes far more sense just to trade cars.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's a data point for everyone.

I drive our '13 Focus (odometer is ~20,000 miles) every day to commute to work. Plenty of stop lights, but rarely stop and go traffic. I rarely have issues with the transmission.

My wife on the other hand only drives the Focus occasionally, mostly on weekends, for errands. She seems to always have the issue with the transmission.

I definitely believe that driving style is a significant factor. I'm very conscious of the mileage on the car and drive in a manner to try to maximize it (within reason, I'm not one of those hyper milers that will coast for 2 miles at 30 mph). My wife doesn't abuse the Focus, but she drives it just like every other car we have ever owned.

The difference could be that the transmission's computer is optimizing based on my driving style and thus producing a horrible driving experience for my wife. Maybe this is even worse for someone who shares the vehicle 50/50 with someone else. Thus the car can never figure out a driving profile that works for both drivers, thus creating a horrible experience for both.

This doesn't make it right and I'm not sure what Ford should have done differently in their advertising materials.

I agree 100%.. same here my wife uses her's for to & from work which is about a 6 mile round trip, and for short stop & go errands around town, drives it like she drove her 2010 cobalt. Me on the other hand, uses my car mainly for road trips & longer rides.... She has the stutter, I dont...

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Yes, there are plenty of DCT Focuses that don't have issues. As an experiment, why don't you and your wife swap cars for a month or so? Unfortunately, driving style does seems to matter with these cars and a change could make a difference.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yes, there are plenty of DCT Focuses that don't have issues. As an experiment, why don't you and your wife swap cars for a month or so? Unfortunately, driving style does seems to matter with these cars and a change could make a difference.
In my post, there is only one car. Can't get more apples to apples than that.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

No thank you! [:D] I'm a strong believer if it aint broke, dont fix it.

I think it is more of a software issue than a mechnical flaw. The slipping part may be more heat related, and the software controls that aspect by allowing it to slip when it detects that the clutch is overheating.... at least thats my theory. I dont think its a mech issue that would leave you stranded somewhere, its just a nuisance more than anything...

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
2014, almost 3k on the odometer, no issues.

·
Registered
500 Posts
13,Ti Hatch 11,500 k & no real issues that i`ve noticed, my wife drives it the most , just some mild shudder / stutter when first taking off after first reversing out the driveway/ garage . one thing ive have noticed some vibes / shudder when waiting at the lights , but no worse than my svt

·
Registered
3,673 Posts

Don't get me wrong, I love my car and would really like to keep it for the long term, meaning 15-20+ years but everywhere I look online suggests that the DCT trans might not last thru next year... I'm sure most owners who are happy with their auto Focus's are'nt online complaining about the car and maybe its just the ones who do have problems are the ones posting, but wow...just do a simple google search on Focus dct and there are hundreds of pages out there full of customer complaints, not very confident inspiring...

Both me & my wife own '14 Focus. we are both hardcore Ford fans & love the car, however unfortunatly hers has a intermittent stutter/slip on take off & slow driving, such as parking lots etc. that is driving her (no pun) crazy...
She has 6700 miles, mine on the other hand drives solid & no stutter at all. Not sure if lucky, or what.

I have an early production mk3 (built 05/11) with the original clutch and mine works very well (smooth engagement with no stuttering).

Why so many posts on the internet with DCT problems?
Do you have any idea how many Focuses were manufactured with defective transmission oil seals and/or half-baked DCT firmware?
The number is quite substantial so it makes perfect sense that there are a lot of "complaints".

Why does my "old" DCT work so well on a consistent basis?
One theory is this: If you (almost always) baby the car, you will likely have at least some stuttering.
Try driving your wife's car aggressively (acceleration wise) and see if the clutch engagement doesn't improve.

·
Registered
32 Posts
17,000 on mine, drives like a champ. However I just bought it, so maybe it was fixed before I got it. *shrugs* hoping to be one of the lucky ones, because I love this car.

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
100,000 Miles and a perfect DCT

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I have 36K miles and have had very few issues. I do notice a little clutch slippage but it's not bad just yet.

I do, however, anticipate needing to replace the clutch and seals at some point but I'll wait as long as practical so that when/if I need to I can get the newest version. At this point that's Rev-F but some folks are still getting Rev-D.

Brian

·
Registered
139 Posts
Why are people blaming the Transmission when in fact it is a 'seal' that is the problem.??
I have a 13 with 48k on it, it did finally start studdering, which is a clutch that got oil on it from a leaking seal. My dealer took the car for 1.5 days, replaced the seal and clutch pack and I am back on the road and happy.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts