Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
2007 Ford Focus 2.0

hi everyone,

i would like to know if anyone has successfully installed strut assemblies from a mazda 3, or 2008+ focus, on their 2005-2007 models.

i have learned the 2005-2007 and 2008-2011 models use similar drive-trains, so i would not think the suspension components are very different. it seems to me, ford just changed the exterior body.

also, i remember reading people using suspension components from a mazda 3 on their focus, but i do not know which components exactly.

any info is appreciated, thanks. [cheers]

w/ my magic bag
As far as Mazda struts, IDK...The '00-'05 focus struts are interchange & the '06-'11 struts same. The earlier cars use a slightly smaller diameter strut vs the later ones. You'll find a lot more choices w/ the earlier kits. The springs also don't interchange w/ the earlier struts either. A quick look at the two different springs will tell you as the later '06+ springs have a pigtail......So if you want you could always swap out your spindles for a pr of '05 only spindles & that'd open up the door to any of the earlier popular suspension kits out there.

Registered
As far as Mazda struts, IDK...The '00-'05 focus struts are interchange & the '06-'11 struts same. The earlier cars use a slightly smaller diameter strut vs the later ones. You'll find a lot more choices w/ the earlier kits. The springs also don't interchange w/ the earlier struts either. A quick look at the two different springs will tell you as the later '06+ springs have a pigtail......So if you want you could always swap out your spindles for a pr of '05 only spindles & that'd open up the door to any of the earlier popular suspension kits out there.
This^^

Ant07, The strut diameter is different, but the Omni kit can fix that

I found out the hard way that the springs are different from 00-05 and 06+
Bought a pair of SVT springs for my 06 and soon as I opened the box I knew they weren't interchangeable.

w/ my magic bag
This^^

Ant07, The strut diameter is different, but the Omni kit can fix that

I found out the hard way that the springs are different from 00-05 and 06+
Bought a pair of SVT springs for my 06 and soon as I opened the box I knew they weren't interchangeable.
I'd swap out the spindles vs using the Omni kit (sleeves).......

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for replying. i plan on keeping the suspension stuff close to oem spec unless the

difference in cost for performance parts is on the low end. i initially set out to sort all my

powertrain concerns first, but it is time for a suspension overhaul before potholes start

appearing later this summer. i really want to order kyb struts off rockauto, but even at

their discounted price i do not want splurge on this car too much. i never thought i

would care for this car since i got it last year, but i continue to add subjective value to

it the more i work and learn with it. i hope to find decent motorcraft struts at the

salvage yard soon.

i usually stick too picking parts off 2006-2011 models, so it is good to know the

suspension specs are the same.

after sifting through mazda forums, i believe the rear suspension components and the

front sway bar are shared between the mazda 3 and ford focus of the same generation.

the front struts of the mazda 3 look the same, but are designed differently because the

mazda 3 is heavier than the ford focus, i read.

btw, what does everyone think about ac delco parts for ford, specifically front control arms?

ac delco is like motorcraft but for gm, right? i assume their products are decent.

Registered
The springs also don't interchange w/ the earlier struts either. A quick look at the two different springs will tell you as the later '06+ springs have a pigtail...
So, what if I did and haven't had a problem yet? The springs fit just fine on my struts. 2003 SVT springs on a 2006 SES struts.

w/ my magic bag
So, what if I did and haven't had a problem yet? The springs fit just fine on my struts. 2003 SVT springs on a 2006 SES struts.
IDK, never tried it....Total different spring pockets, I for sure wouldn't want to slam that combo in any hard cornering, let along even try throwing that combo together. Very good change to cause a crash, hopefully not thou.......

Registered
Pigtail & Tangential ended Mk1.5 springs have a 7.5" installed height and ~900 lb load rating
v.
Square & Tangential ended Mk1 springs with a 9" installed height and ~650 lb load rating

Which end uses the pigtail - the top?

w/ my magic bag
Pigtail & Tangential ended Mk1.5 springs have a 7.5" installed height and ~900 lb load rating
v.
Square & Tangential ended Mk1 springs with a 9" installed height and ~650 lb load rating

Which end uses the pigtail - the top?
The pigtail is at the bottom & the spring is also tapered hence the different spring seat. The strut mounts, bearing, spring seats are all the same at least thru '07 that I know of. At least Ford didn't mess w/ the '05 cars. Why they did that I have know idea. Kiss is what they should of done & + all the aftermarket suspension manufactures dropped out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts