Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the first gen focus are the rocker panels integral to the overall structural rigidity of the vehicle?

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
I would say, yes.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks freemind. Just to clarify, I'm talking about the outer rocker panels. I was thinking of replacing mine and using a panel bonding product or structural adhesive instead of welding.

·
Registered
285 Posts
They are a very important structural member. They are designed to provide structural rigidity and more important crash protection.
They are a 3-piece member with on outer panel, an inner reinforcement and an inner panel. Cosmetic damage on the outer can sometimes be straightened,improper repair will effect the structural integrity of the vehicle.

I think removing the outer rocker and not replacing per manufacturers instruction would not be a good idea.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Go to uTube and watch the crash tests on Chinese cars... Hilarious/scary, and the fact the passenger comparment on some totally folds up.. Will make you appreciate the importance of rocker panels and rigidity for safety.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
thanks freemind. Just to clarify, I'm talking about the outer rocker panels. I was thinking of replacing mine and using a panel bonding product or structural adhesive instead of welding.
You are talking about the rockers and not the side skirts right?

·
C2H5OH
11,868 Posts
^One in the same in the sense he's talking.

Not structural.
Just look at how rusty yours are. Do you feel the car bending/twisting going over speed bumps? No.
It's what's inside them that is structural, the point where the lip/seam is for the rocker and floor pans.

You've been righting rust for a while now. On the cheap should be just fine.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,324 Posts
They are a very important structural member. They are designed to provide structural rigidity and more important crash protection.
They are a 3-piece member with on outer panel, an inner reinforcement and an inner panel. Cosmetic damage on the outer can sometimes be straightened,improper repair will effect the structural integrity of the vehicle.

I think removing the outer rocker and not replacing per manufacturers instruction would not be a good idea.
Very true. ^^^^^ Someone must work in a B/S. I did for 10yrs.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,324 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts