Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Machinery Technician
7,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought they would be on with something stronger and when I look they are on with zipties. just seems flimsy to me

Need a quick answer- thanks guys

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Some of those factory clamps are a bear to deal with......you can buy SS zip-ties at Home Depot, Lowes. They work similar to normal nylon zip-ties......but won't break. I bought a package of ten for about $3.......don't use them except for special situations.

·
Machinery Technician
7,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i spent the money on stainless steel cv clamps that fit in the groove, but i'm just bout tired of trying to get them on tight without their specific tool.
also, i couldn't find any hose clamps narrow enough to fit in the groove.

i'm seriously about to use regular zipties- which i thought wouldn't work- until i get the boot out and realize that's what it already has.

i'm just not sure if they were changed by someone. did our cars bring zipties there stock?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Yours have probably been changed. We use the plastic ones at the garage and have never had any problems.

·
Premium Member
21,259 Posts
oh INNER tie rods... for some reason I had a picture in my head of outer tie rod boots somehow zip tied.

Zip ties should be fine. The larger 1/4" variety are used commonly on HVAC ducting that will reach temperatures similar to that around the area of the rack if not higher. All you're keeping out is dust anyway, the seal for the fluid is inside the rack.

·
Machinery Technician
7,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
true. i just don't want the boots to pop off, but i guess if zipties held this long they are fine.

does anyone know if it brought the zipties stock?

·
Super Moderator
9,581 Posts
Damn for some reason I was thinking the same thing when I first read this whynotthinkwhatnot. But then as I was reading more into it I figured that he was talking about the inner boots instead. I am not sure as to what the factory specs are on their boots since I have never had to have mine replaced nor do I know of anyone that has. I would think believe that using zip ties would work as long as you could snug them up tight enough. All the boots do is keep out road debris, dust and moisture.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
If you get them on tight enough, if your rack starts leaking, the fluid won't drip on the ground. (for a while anyway till the whole boot splits).

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
Zip ties are fine [thumb]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.