Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... or is it both? [bigcry]

I've noticed that when I put any amount of weight in the back of my car (2003 Ford Focus SVT with 71, 000 miles) it will cause the fender to rub on the tire when going over bad bumps (driver side only, passenger side is fine).

So are my springs or shocks broken? I'm thinking of just ordering an SVT kit from Northcoast and replacing all the springs and shocks and be done with it.

... or should I save some money and just replace the shocks because that's the problem?

I have noticed that the ride height is lower on the driver side compared to the passenger side.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
i doubt your springs are broke. You will plainly be able to see then broke and your rear would be seriously dragging. Your shockes just probably lived their life and you need an upgrade. Shocks are cake to swap out so that's nothing. You can take some pics of the springs and show us, but i will bet its just your shocks.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have the same problem also. I just hit 100,000 thursday. My right front also bottoms out when i hit a dip in the road. I've been thinking the springs are weak, but I dont know. Let me know what you figure out.

·
Flipping Rockstar
16,788 Posts
Well, the stock shocks/struts are rated at 50,000 miles, And as stated, You would definitely know if it was the springs. Just replace the s/s and You should be good, unless You want the kit. It can't hurt anything but Your wallet to replace the springs, too. And that's only around $75-$100 for all four springs, if played right.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's the decision:
Shocks (no mounts) and springs = $260
Shocks and all the mounts = $180

I'm thinking it's just shocks as well, since I don't see a busted spring. However I have read about weak springs. Does a shot shock lead to a lower ride height when the car is empty?

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
it can.. give mike b16sir1991 a call... he can get you a better deal than that im sure

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Now come on guys, shocks do NOTHING to affect ride height, that's what springs are for! to hold up the car! if they are sacked out due to age, mileage they typically sag more on the driver's side because there is ALWAYS a passenger there... (at least I hope so...grin)
shocks just dampen the springs reaction so the car doesn't bounce down the highway...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now come on guys, shocks do NOTHING to affect ride height, that's what springs are for! to hold up the car! if they are sacked out due to age, mileage they typically sag more on the driver's side because there is ALWAYS a passenger there... (at least I hope so...grin)
shocks just dampen the springs reaction so the car doesn't bounce down the highway...
that's what I'm thinking.

nov173 said:
it can.. give mike b16sir1991 a call... he can get you a better deal than that im sure
I'll shoot him a pm. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Its NOT a broken shock. its a broken SPRING, if your shock was broken ud just keep boucing on every bump or w.e., shocks and struts are besically for a smoother ride, so if your wheel touches the fender then you defenetly have to get ur spring replaced... i have the same problem with my front pass spring, it just broke, so i called my dealer and they replaced imy both fronts for free coz on some cars 2000-2003 they didnt rust prove the springs properly, i sunno about svts so just call your dealer and takl about customers recalls and stuff and see...shocks and struts might have to be replaced every not 50 but id say 100, depends on the road conditions, but the springs should last so much longer

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
if the spring was broken you would DEF be able to see it. and his rear would fall on itself.

·
Registered
889 Posts
nope.. not always, when my front was broken only 1 whole round thing was broken, and you count even see right away even looking straight at the spring, but it was defenately lower... otherwise why would he touch the fender then? if the spring is fine?

·
Wales!!
10,218 Posts
my car was springy in the back and the ride height was the same. so a few weeks ago i bought the eibach suspension kit and found out that i was riding on 2 rear broken springs. both were snapped at the top.

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
ok...srsly guys.

if the spring was broken it would make a massive amount of noise while driving, the handling would be comprimised and you would VISIBLY see that the car was sagging.

it is 100% shocks. anyone who says different needs to be around cars more.

the shocks are toast dude, get new ones.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok...srsly guys.

if the spring was broken it would make a massive amount of noise while driving, the handling would be comprimised and you would VISIBLY see that the car was sagging.

it is 100% shocks. anyone who says different needs to be around cars more.

the shocks are toast dude, get new ones.
That's the plan at this point. I'm sick of pissing around with it.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
If the shocks haven't been replaced ever chances are they need it anyway. But there is also no way a shot shock will make the car sit so low that it rubs on the fender. All a shock does is control and dampen the movement of the suspension. It doesn't hold any of the weight up. This is the springs job.

Now have you measured (on flat ground obviously) tire to fender clearance from side to side in the back without weight in the car and compared it to another car with the same suspension? The spring could very well be broken up near the top or the bottom and not be visible by just looking in there. I would say a good half to 3/4's of an inch is hidden in the top and bottom seats of the spring where it "could" be broken. Who knows. Maybe running around with worn out shocks has just plain made the springs sag. The rear springs aren't that strong anyway. Just putting a 200 lb person in the rear gives it an inch drop at the least.

Get under there and check it out. Only way to really know is to get under there and see.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts