Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering getting cams for my car.

I am not sure which ones to get and what is needed with it. I'm assuming valves/springs and a tune.

If I were to do this I would probably get a second head from the scrap yard, machine it and then add what I want to it.

Is my head in the right place? Is the fun of the cams worth all this trouble?

·
Registered
495 Posts
I did a cam swap without any of the added valve train components. I upgraded my exhaust, throttle body (port matched intake manifold) and injectors and it was well worth it. Out of anything that you should look at doing, a tune is a must.

My complete 2001 1 piece intake manifold complete w/fuel rail, 24# injectors and 65mm BBK throttle body (00-02 manual) and spacer is going to be going up for sale here very soon! This setup really wakes up with a set of stage 2 comp cams and a tune. [;)]

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only things I'm missing are the intake(who made it?)and injectors(if they are different than '00 stock).

Haha was it worth it? I'm in college with a limited budget. If I had spare money I'd probably do it.

·
Registered
495 Posts
The only things I'm missing are the intake(who made it?)and injectors(if they are different than '00 stock).
The 1 piece is the stock injection molded intake from the 01. I have port matched it to the 65mm throttle body. stock injectors are 19lb if memory serves me, the 24lb are definitely not stock.

Haha was it worth it? I'm in college with a limited budget. If I had spare money I'd probably do it.
Was it worth it... to me it was. I'm not a student and I have a very good job that more than pays the bills.

If you are a student and money is tight, I would suggest simply putting money into maintaining your vehicle so that it is as reliable as possible. There will be time to do upgrades and spend money later!

Cams are not a cheap bolt-on upgrade. you are looking at $400-$600 for the parts and then another $400+ for tune and probably another $200 in miscellaneous maintenance parts. While you are in there swapping out the cams you will want to replace all the gaskets, probably the timing belt and water pump (if hey haven't been replaced already). $$$$

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I maintain my car so basically 800 for the whole job.

I'm planning on saving pennies(no going out no fast food basically spaghetti and meatballs)to get a tune from tom. I recently had some extra cash so I got a front strut bar and SS brake lines. There isn't much more that I can do to the car performance wise.

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
No he is getting at $400-600 for parts, a tune is a must so $400 + any dyno tune you need (another $100) to get the true benifit of the cams + $100 in misc parts you need like fluids, seals, gaskets etc) so your looking at $1,200. Most cams need upgraded valve train also. Doing cams is not the cheapest bolt on.

You may be better off right now getting the SVT exhaust (header back) and a Tune.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
A mild set of cams & a tune will help of course you'll want a header to take advantage of the cams as a intake.

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i thought toms tune took care of everything, no dyno needed?

whats a list of everything i need? you can just list the parts needed, im not gonna make you link me to stuff XD

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
If you do adj. cam gears, you have to dyno tune them to get the benefit.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Check with the camshaft manufacturer. Adjustable cam gears are not always a requirement.

The aftermarket camshafts are usually designed to run based on stock cam timing. They are usually drop and go. However, there can be some power found in adjusting them depending on engine modifications and fuel used. This is best done on a dyno where you can actually see the power gains or drops when adjusting the cam timing!

I dropped my stage 2 cams in at the stock timing and never had any issues. With my new build I will have to dial in the cams with adjustable gears on a dyno though.

·
FF Affiliate
31,092 Posts

The 2000 intake ( one piece ) is about a 3-4 HP gain not worth it in my opinion unless you have all supporting mods and pushing for all you can get , you dont need anything but stock Inj to do what your talking about doing

Before you do the cams you need to add the SVT header and 2.5 Exh this will be a bigger gain then cams and cam gears and will be needed to get anything from the cams you want to add

Tom

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Can I do it later if I got the right ones?

How do I find a dyno tuner?

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
he says he has a 2000 so he already will have the intake... or did they change the intake mid model year?

If you dont use cam gears you lose out on a lot of the gain from cams. people have gained quite a bit of power in the range they want it by just using the adjustable gears on stock cams.

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Could I get can gears for my stock cams and see improvement or not worth it?

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ahh thanks. And 2000 intake is better that. Other years?

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Can I do it later if I got the right ones?

How do I find a dyno tuner?
Get on the local board or local auto sports face book page (or yellow pages / Google) and ask around or search. I think an hour session usually runs between $100 to $150. you will want to coordinate with tom also so he can set up your data logging while they are doing the dyno runs.

you can do it later. but I would do it the other way around.. get the gears first and then down the road get the cams.

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Ahh thanks. And 2000 intake is better that. Other years?
Yes, the 2000 intake was a 1 piece molded design. It flows a little bit better (i truly mean a little bit better) but the main advantage is under high boost applications the 2001 and up being a multi-piece that was then glued/welded together has shown in cases to crack.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts