Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
04 ZX5
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does everyone have to pull the door handle really hard to open the doors? My handle on my drivers door finally broke today

·
Registered
16,450 Posts
The grease dries up inside the latch assemblies but you can't fix them without taking them apart. Fixed they work great with one finger. The outside handle breaks that tab off when the latch gets too hard to pull.

·
Registered
04 ZX5
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The grease dries up inside the latch assemblies but you can't fix them without taking them apart. Fixed they work great with one finger. The outside handle breaks that tab off when the latch gets too hard to pull.
Well since I have to replace the handle I will see about pulling the latch apart while I am in there, thank you

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ive read that there's a brittle shaft and spring mechanism that bends or wears as time goes by. Ive also seen write ups on how to disassemble and bend it back so I would advise to look around a bit more. To answer your question though, my zx3 whose whole life has been in Oregon, has no problems with latches or handles. However my svt from Minnesota has issues so I'm sure its just from crud or it broke down over time

·
Registered
16,450 Posts
You are talking about the door reinforcement tab which breaks because the lower latch gets too tight. The latches are intended to not ever be taken apart, you have to drill out rivets and create a new way to hold them back together. Done correctly you will have the equivalent of a new latch but most cannot repeat that work.

Simply spraying grease in doesn't do much as the latches are sealed into 3 separate compartments and you can't get the lube in where it is needed.

BTDT..........all of it, they work for years after.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
My 2002 wagon has spent its entire life in New England and is a total rust bucket now but the door and tailgate latches work perfectly. Go figure.

Paul

Reactions: tmajikman

·
Registered
04 ZX5
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My door has been a pita to open since I got the car a few weeks go, I figured it was bound to break sooner or later

1 - 8 of 8 Posts