Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
All manual shift US MK3 Focus us the MTX75 manual transmission other than ST?

Thanks
Until the 2015s start showing up with the 1.0 L I3 EcoBoost and the IB6 6 speed manual transmission yes. Every 2.0 L GDI MTX MK3 non ST uses the MTX-75.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
It's an awful transmission. I *may* consider the 1.0L for my next car, solely because it does not use the horrible MTX-75 transmission. The gearing is terrible on the transmission, IMO. If Ford could figure out the gearing, I wouldn't mind it too much. It's like starting out in 2nd gear all the time.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
It's an awful transmission. I *may* consider the 1.0L for my next car, solely because it does not use the horrible MTX-75 transmission. The gearing is terrible on the transmission, IMO. If Ford could figure out the gearing, I wouldn't mind it too much. It's like starting out in 2nd gear all the time.
Are you engaging the clutch w/ the right amount of throttle? Have you checked the gear ratio chart for a mtx75? Look at the gear ratio spacing. Drive a Ranger w/ a D-tech 23/25 & its geared really tall compared to the Focus. Saying that, I didn't like the 3:35 1st gear on the T-5's, some had the 2:95 1 gear & the toploader had a 3:07 which I had.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Are you engaging the clutch w/ the right amount of throttle? Have you checked the gear ratio chart for a mtx75? Look at the gear ratio spacing. Drive a Ranger w/ a D-tech 23/25 & its geared really tall compared to the Focus. Saying that, I didn't like the 3:35 1st gear on the T-5's, some had the 2:95 1 gear & the toploader had a 3:07 which I had.
I have the 3.56 "rear end" ratio, no the 3.82 "rear end" ratio. The latter would make 1st gear a bit more tolerable, but it would really be screaming on the highway. I believe I have 3.4:1 first gear, older ones had 3.6:1 first gear. If I was aware of the difference between the S/SE/SEL and SES, I would have bought a SES model.

I guess I just think everything should have a very low 1st gear like a truck transmission.

As it stands right now, I can take off without giving it gas and I can give it very little throttle to get moving on a hill. The clutch will last me forever, I suspect. It just makes the engine bounce around a bit.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
You need to add a poly dogbone to start with. CFM, Steeda have them. I'd be turning about 2800-3000 revs. My '02 Powerstroke was turning 2400-2600 revs w/ 4:30 gears.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
trying to decide if i want a Mk3 manual Focus or a Manual 10-12 Fusion
Sounds like a test drive is in order. The Fusion is going to be a 25 w/ a 6spd.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
You need to add a poly dogbone to start with. CFM, Steeda have them. I'd be turning about 2800-3000 revs. My '02 Powerstroke was turning 2400-2600 revs w/ 4:30 gears.

I'll be doing 4.56 gears in my Jeep when I go to 32'' tires. It'll be like 2500 at 60.

But it will crawl nicely and tow nicely!

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
CAFE rules have forced crawler first gears almost off the market, rather silly as they require starting in first for testing when in real use that's seldom done except when heavily loaded. I've owned P/U models with a higher first than the Focus as a result, totally stupid IMHO.

Very low first in most cars would be a waste, useless for at least 99.5% of the owners.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks everyone.

i like both cars both have +'s

Focus better mpg (would be my daily driver)
i love hatches but love [pray] wagons even more

Fusion

Bigger, so that the current Family hauler 04 Expo can be downgraded to bad weather//Towing & hauling car

currently ride is a [gunfire] Vibe would ditch for another Ford

also have a Mustang

i think at the end it will just be which one i find the Cheapest and best in condition etc.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I learned how to drive on a '69 Chevy 3/4 ton farm truck with a granny gear. That thing was geared so low the only time 1st was used was with a load.

My Focus is the first stick shift car I have driven since 1990 (Honda Civic). I don't think its any worse or any better than any other stick shift car out there.

I've been to the UK and Switzerland often enough on business to know that most cars over there are stick shift. Most people give a bit of gas to take off, clutches seem to last. I'm not worried about the clutch in my Focus.

I would be worried about the clutch in the DCT version.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
heyjayman...Steinbach, it's worth the trip!

When I first got the car I wasn't giving it enough gas starting out up hills and it would bog and slip. I realized the errors of my ways and nothing stands out with this transmission to me as being bad. Also putting 91 octane, drop in filter and snorkel delete have helped with better throttle response as well.

·
Registered
50 Posts
heyjayman...Steinbach, it's worth the trip!

When I first got the car I wasn't giving it enough gas starting out up hills and it would bog and slip.
Well .... that is what they claim here.

Yep, once I got used to giving it a bit of gas, no problems.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Well .... that is what they claim here.

Yep, once I got used to giving it a bit of gas, no problems.
I have learned how to take off with mine without giving it gas.

I have bad motor mounts at 47K miles.

I just don't want to replace a clutch. I remember on trucks the clutches go 200K+ miles towing.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I find that most of the time, the motor will buck if I try to take off in first without giving it gas. I don't rev it to 4,000 rpm or anything crazy, usually 1,500 is good. Have never smelled the clutch, that is a reliable sign you are abusing it.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Yeah! The only time I smell burning clutch is when I'm behind someone with a manual transmission Jeep off road and they don't use low range and ride the clutch too much!

Never got mine that hot!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts