Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No offense to you competent ford employees out there, but my local dealer seems like they know as much about cars as a 5 year old. My fuel pump goes out, so I get it towed to a local dealer to have it replaced. They say the car runs now, so i go to the dealer and low and behold, it still wont move forward unless I have my foot holding down the gas pedal. Before I go to get my car back, the sales managers assistant or who have you, says the problem with my car may be my aftermarket throttle body... So i tell him I HAVE NO AFTERMARKET THROTTLE BODY... ALL I HAVE IS AN INTAKE. So he says the intake may be blowing air to someplace that it shouldnt.... Anyway I decide to get the car becuase hes such an idiot. It was the fuel pump after all, and that will be the last time i visit a ford dealer. Well for service anyway.

·
Registered
465 Posts
99% of ford employees can suck my ***** ive had many problems with them too they even tryed to tell me that my after market rims 17x7.5 caused my transmission to go out. at that point i said fock it and gave up.

·
Cashed in my chips
2,837 Posts
Yes. They suck.

I would never take my car to Ford for service unless it is a recall or a repair covered by warranty.

·
Registered
25,620 Posts
Some of them are just not able to think out of the Papa Ford box. While others are run by enthusiaasts who play with their cars ,too.

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
If he pushed the issue, and felt like arguing they would Have to document exactly how the intake was causing the problem, or else they would continue to have to fix it under warranty. He didn't mention having to pay for the service (even though they didn't help him out ultimately), which means they didn't void his warranty.

They Can't say "that did it" and end of story. I'm sure they do sometimes, because people don't know they can't do it. If you called their bluff and said "I'll need you to prove that or you're fixing it for free" then they would have to make their case. Of course, in cases like these it's more of a PITA to deal with an incompetent service dept. that would probably break your car more than fix it anyway.

Luckily, up here we have at least one big dealer whose 3-generation owning family is big into the modded Ford scene, mainly the Mustangs. I've seen several modded cars they work on regularly, without so much as a peep about it voiding anything if something goes bad that's unrelated... like when my alternator died they didn't speak a word about my intake or TB, because they clearly had nothing to do with the faulty part.

Sadly, a LOT of Ford dealers are full of idiots... but I would venture that's similar across the board for car dealers, Ford or not. There's a bnch of crappy ones, and some diamonds in the rough.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Viney266 said it completely correct. Our dealership is full of car crazy people that are some of the finest tech's around. We have horror stories all the time and are fixing other local dealers screwups constantly. Dont give up on some of us because some of us are as crazy about our cars as you are.

·
Registered
199 Posts
once i was in a ford dealer waiting til they found the parts i ordered. while i was waiting i found a magic 8 ball on the desk and began shaking it out of pure bordom. the first time i shook it it read "brakes". i shook it again and it read "shocks" the third time i shook it it read "transmission". the guy looking for my parts walked in and said "hey man be careful with that!! its our best diagnosics tool!!!"

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
Exactly, it all depends on those running the place and the people they choose to hire to work on their customer's vehicles. They're all out for profit at some level, but some also have a love of automobiles on top of that and it drives them to do things that are friendly to people like us, and those are the places to sniff out, if possible.

Haha at SRD's story.[:p]

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Sometimes that can be hard to "sniff" out. Its a shame too. Some dealers hire only "fresh out of school" kids (no offence) that dont have any on hands training in the real world.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I don't think this relates to only FORD... or just automobiles... Some people just cannot help being stupid or lazy... It takes effort to find many errors and not many people are willing to (ie. lazy). Others cannot justify the "point" of modding and completely blame it for causes. blah blah blah... you just have to be a little smarter than the average guy, help them out and be nice, hopefully all goes better/well

peace

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Lil PZEV said:
They Can't say "that did it" and end of story. I'm sure they do sometimes, because people don't know they can't do it. If you called their bluff and said "I'll need you to prove that or you're fixing it for free" then they would have to make their case. Of course, in cases like these it's more of a PITA to deal with an incompetent service dept. that would probably break your car more than fix it anyway.
While that's technically true due to the laws governing warranties, it is never true in practice. In reality, the dealership is doing the warranty work for free, and hoping to get paid for the work by Ford corporate since the dealership is an independently operated business. With the rise of aftermarket parts, especially chips, the automakers are forcing their dealerships to do a better job of diagnosing what is warranty work and what is damage due to modifications. This is in respoese to way to many dealerships treating warranty opportunities like another stream of revenue instead of looking at them as a way to improve customer satisfaction. Hell, some dealerships will sell you the chip, tune it wrong, and then do all of the associated work under warranty and bill it to Ford corporate.

The problem is that many dealerships take this too far and get a CYA mentality when it comes to denying warranty claims. That's just the reality, and all you can do is talk to the regional sales manager and work your way up the ladder if you think their logic for denying a warranty claim is screwy. It's not right, but everyone should be aware that it is reality if you mod prior to your warranty expiring. Is the modding you are doing worth the weeks or months it may take to over rule the dealership?

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
my local dealer seems like they know as much about cars as a 5 year old ... that will be the last time i visit a ford dealer. Well for service anyway.
Well, I had EXTREMELY good luck with my dealer.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93484

Short version:

-Engine blew in my NEW car (2k on the odo)
-Ford Rep. arrived about a week later, ordered new longblock
-Meanwhile, got to drive a brand new '06 F-1504x4 FOR FREE
-3 weeks later new was engine installed
-Returned the F-150 and drove my car home

*NOTE*
My car had an intake/exhaust, dealer and Ford Rep. never said a word![:)]

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've been to 4 Dealers, 3 independants and 1 owned by Ford, they were all incompetant on some level.

I bought a 3rd key for my car. My owners manual (2004) had typos on programming the PATS keys so I went to 2 dealers to get clarification. 1 told me that it could only be done if I had a remote start system on the car. and one told me that it was impossable outside of paying them the $250 (this was a factory owned Ford store)

·
12 years strong
6,882 Posts
once i was in a ford dealer waiting til they found the parts i ordered. while i was waiting i found a magic 8 ball on the desk and began shaking it out of pure bordom. the first time i shook it it read "brakes". i shook it again and it read "shocks" the third time i shook it it read "transmission". the guy looking for my parts walked in and said "hey man be careful with that!! its our best diagnosics tool!!!"

hahahaha. thats funny as hell but sadly i believe that story. this has nothing to do with the tech service but, when we went to the dealership to buy my girls new focus, the salesman knew nothing about the car. i could answer my girls questions before he could make it to the sticker on the window. i think if ur gonna sell a car, do ur homework on it so u know what ur talkin about.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts