Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bad wheel bearing on my 2005 ZX3 and was thinking of going to the U-pick-it yard to grab a whole knuckle/hub assembly to avoid all the special tools or a trip to the machinist. After looking on RockAuto, it looks like the 2000-2004 share a common knuckle and the so does the 2006-2011. The 2005 is listed as one year only.

The bearings and hub are listed as 2000-2011. Anybody know what makes the 2005 knuckle different than the rest? Will other years work?

Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Motorcraft MEF-150 or Ford 4S4Z3K185AA are the part number for the right front knuckle/bearing assembly.

·
Registered
2006 ZX5 2.0, 2004 ZX3 SVT EE. 2004 ZX3 SVT
1,426 Posts
The 05 spindle has a small strut mount hole like the 00-04 but has a large balljoint taper like the 06 and up.The 06 and up have the larger balljoint and larger strut mount. You can use a 2000-2004 spindle but you would need a lower control arm to match. If you use a 06 and up spindle you would have to use Massives Mk1 sleeve adapter for the strut or use an 06 -07 strut assembly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the same issue/question. Did you ever resolve?
I was able to find several '05s at the U-pick-it yard. Getting the knuckle and ball joint separated is a bitch on rusty cars, but I got a good one. On my car, I finally gave up and used a pickle fork (which I knew would tear up the boot). Figured a new control arm was cheap and easy to replace. Of course that lead to the alignment being WAY off.

Little car, big pain. ?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Figured a new control arm was cheap and easy to replace.
The operative word being CHEAP. I dont care what aftermarket brand LCA you get - they all use the shi++iest ball joints that last less than 2 years. No grease fitting, cheap boot, and riveted in. Moog makes a good greasable replacement bolt-in ball joint with a good boot but getting the old joint out of the arm is usually a big PITA.

Good luck
Paul

Reactions: pbfoot

·
w/ my magic bag
29,455 Posts
The operative word being CHEAP. I dont care what aftermarket brand LCA you get - they all use the shi++iest ball joints that last less than 2 years. No grease fitting, cheap boot, and riveted in. Moog makes a good greasable replacement bolt-in ball joint with a good boot but getting the old joint out of the arm is usually a big PITA.

Good luck
Paul
The exception being CFM's tubular A-arms witch uses QA1 heim joints.....they beat Dom's tubular A-arms witch use oem style b/j's witch use slots for camber adjustment.......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts