Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well i might as well post on both websites... I currently have 55w 6000k HID's in the Anzo Dual CCFL Halo headlights and the output is decent but the projectors are cross-eyed and slanted so they have to be aimed lower to avoid the eyes of oncoming traffic.

Parts List:
Bi-Xenon FX-R 2.0 Projectors (comes with clear lenses installed)
D2S Morimoto 5Five (50w) 6000k Bulbs
Morimoto 5Five (50w) ballasts
Bi-Xenon 9007 Harness DONT NEED THIS!!!
Swapping OEM clear covers to Anzo's

I ordered the FX-R 2.0's on HIDPlanet from The Retrofit Source on the for sale forum for $50.00. It looks like the bowing issue is fixed but i wont know until i either take them apart or get bulbs and ballasts.

Ive been waiting 2 years to get this retrofit started. Ive been plagued with 3 rear end accidents that finally totaled my 05 focus and in Feb i picked up this 07 ST. My payment is more so i have less money to work with but i have a settlement on the way which will pay for wheels, tires, H&R coilovers and the retrofit.

Projectors arrived today

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
FX-R's are larger projectors but should fit. But im thinking i will definitely have to custom fab a box for the back of the housing like Jgrove did with his TSX projector retrofit. The FXR's are a little bit smaller than the TSX so we'll see how it goes. As far as i know, im the first to retrofit this projector into the anzos? The mini's are nice since they're small but im looking for an amazing light output. The mini's arent as wide of a pattern and give off a lot of foreground light.

i took my H3 6000k 55w hid kit and held the bulb in the FX-R's and the output is INSANE. I dont think ive ever seen lights so bright in my entire life that were on a car.

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
i took my H3 6000k 55w hid kit and held the bulb in the FX-R's and the output is INSANE. I dont think ive ever seen lights so bright in my entire life that were on a car.
Yeah, i had a set of 35w 4300k phillips bulbs in my FX-Rs, and i was lighting up skyscrapers blocks away, it was awesome. These morimotos are slighly less output, but they are still mind-bogglingly good.

Either way, heres my retrofit thread, its not a how too, but you can see what i went through:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265354

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i think i remember reading this when it was posted. Looks good! That housing looks a little more friendly to retrofit if you have the right sized projector. The Mini's still have amazing output for their size.

·
R.I.P Kona
12,868 Posts
Will be watching this so please take lots of photos for how to. This is on my to do list so a good reference would be a huge help.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ill have my D3000 handy for pictures :) I plan on making something up so that will seem less frightening to first-time retrofitters such as myself. Is there anything in particular that you would like to know or see before i get started?

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
FYI

huge important note here.

If you are taking the headlight off of your car when you do the work, as is necessary with this level retrofit, make sure you set up a rig to hold the base of the headlight, and mark off the headlights output on the wall before disassembling. This is the easiest way to get your output level and straight.

I made the mistake of pulling the lights apart before doing this, and my headlights will never be aimed quite right because of it.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sounds like a plan. I wasnt even thinking about aligning them that way before doing everything else. The stock headlights should be pretty level for that to be marked off. The anzo's projectors are slanted lol. If it comes down to it, i might hang a string and level it with a bubble leveler and align the projectors to that then go and aim them. Still need to find a good place to aim the projectors.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ordered today:

D2S Morimoto 5Five (50w) 6000k bulbs
Morimoto 5Five Ballasts (50w)
Bi-Xenon 9007 harness
OCI Butyl Rubber Glue

Buying OEM headlights from a friend soon to use while retrofitting (have my OEM covers off waiting to be transplanted). Maybe a week or two and ill be started on the retrofit!!! Seriously, i cant wait!!

also ordered h&r coilovers and will install before i get the headlights on so the projectors will be aimed properly

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
got my hands on an extra set of stock headlights to use while im retrofitting. Im going to use my stock headlights for the covers. There some cracks near the turn signal area that may have been caused by someone backing into the headlight or something but its not that bad.

Figured i would get a head start on all of this. Put them in the oven (15min @ 250*F), took them apart, and removed residual glue with a heat gun. The heat gun is nice! I may try it on the anzo headlights when taking them apart.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
from what I've read they should fit right on without any issues, I hope. The covers on the anzo lights make hot spots and dark spots on the sides.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well i put my extra set of stock headlights in the car so i can work on the anzo's for now. I got them in the oven and took them apart. They came apart WAY easier than the stock headlights!!! I got the projector mounts out and everything and now when im trying to fit the HID projector in, i run into a problem! Wondering how im going to weak this thing to work. The projector is too tall. TSX projectors fit right through this hole and mount with a screw and a bolt. hmm. Might need to cut something up im thinking or get rid of the bracket all together and mount the projector to the headlight. Not sure yet...

these headlights are sharp!!! lol somehow i cut myself and was bleeding everywhere.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Suscribed. This is exactly what I'm trying to do but with Morimotos. Ebay housing+oem lense swap+ hid =win!!

Thanks for posting all the info and good luck!!

IIRC someone else here had to have a bracket made in a shop, but I'm hoping it can be made in your own garage with some sheet metal or something. Could you trim the mounting hole for the projector to let the FX-R fit in?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
These are Morimotos FX-R 2.0's with the flaring fixed on them. Must mean the Mini's? Those should fit right into these projectors with the only modification of cutting your own holes to mount the projector. Might need to use washers or something so they dont look sunken into the back of the headlight from the front but other than that its smooth sailing!

No problem. I am hoping to get this finished by tomorrow night and be able to mount them in the car after the JB Qwik Weld settles. I'm going to try to use the same glue thats on the headlight now, not much has come off from removing the Anzo covers.

I think this might be the third retrofit into these headlights and the only one that uses these projectors. I know Jgrove did this and used TSX projectors but those just fit right in and no hard modifications.

So far ive cut out the mounting bracket to allow the FX-R to fit into it (had to buy stronger cutting bits on the dremmel to last without burning through them!) and also cut off a mounting piece and the top of the projector, which doesnt change the output at all. Heres some shots of my progress. Ill have the other one cut out tonight.

ALSO a HUGE note. You do NOT need the 9007 harness. In fact, you dont even need one at all. Im going to sell mine that i bought. There is two wires that plug into the original halogen high beam bulb. I think its a white cord and a black cord (12v and ground). Just plug these into the solenoid wires. It doesnt matter which one. Ill be connecting them together with new plugs so they fit correctly and wont come undone.

cut the mount hole off because it would be hitting the side of the headlight and not fit properly. This allows it to sit a lot better. All fingerprints will be removed before sealing these! lol

I cut off the top lip piece that covers that air hole at the top so the projector sits flat against the mounting bracket. Had to blow out a lot of shards on the inside of the projector after doing this. You can see on the other photos the lip im talking about.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well the retrofit is complete!!! I used JB Weld on the top to "tack weld" the projector to the mounts but the JB just came undone with hardly any pressure applied. I remounted the projectors using some stuff i found called Quik Steel. Just a fair warning if you attempt to use this, be DAMN sure the projector is in the right place before it sets (5min) or you'll be dremeling away for a long time. I learned from that one!

One thing i did notice is the OEM Clear Cover is causing the driver side cutoff to look like i have a quad projector setup. There is literally 3 cutoff looking lines and it changes the cutoff color from blue to yellow. I think this lens might just be bad and i need a new one or something. I put the anzo lenses on there and didnt notice any black/dark spots that everyone warns about (was curious to see what it looked like) but im still using the OEM clears.

One other thing i noticed was the mounting bracket on the driver side was all crapped out. I had to do a bit of bending to get the projector to have the rotational alignment set right even though it was in the exact same position as the passenger side.

anyway, pictures come tomorrow. It was WAY too cold tonight to take pictures. My hands would have fallen off.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
and now for pictures. Sorry some of them show up as being washed out. They didnt look that way on my camera when they were taken. Maybe next time a lower ISO/faster shutter speed.

Both left and right projectors. Notice how there appears to be like three cutoffs... Its caused by the driver-side's OEM clear lens oddly enough.

Heres just the driver-side projector. Odd, huh? Without the covers it looks 100% straight like the other one!

HIGH BEAMS!!!!

sorry i didnt get any highs of down a road or something. Having issues with the High/Low hack. It only works half the time... Ill figure it out tomorrow or something.

My final conclusion to this retrofit, dont do it unless you want to spend a lot of time on it and modify a TON of things. Learn from my mistakes also! One big one, DONT USE JB WELD!!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts