Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured this was the best place to ask. I know some cars with SelectShift type set ups will stay in the gear selected, my old Grand Prix for example. The only reason I want it to is for autocross, it's shifting far too early once SelectShift is activated, Sport and Drive will run their normal 6500-7000 per the tune, but SS will initiate the shift between 4500 and 5500 most times depending on how it's feeling, I guess. It would be nice to stay in 2nd or 3rd during slaloms and sweepers. [xx(]

Is this something Tom can tweak in my tune, or something I can change using Focccus or Forscan?

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
When the transmission is in “S”, you can use the shift button on the shift lever to stay in the gear you want subject to the set red line limit. + to shift up, -to shift down.

And yes Tom’s tune will refine / improve the shifting.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe there's a misunderstanding, I don't want it to shift at all while I have it in SS unless I signal otherwise. Much like the GXP I had, it wouldn't shift on its own, it would hold gear selected until the seas dry. I'm aware of how the buttons of the system work as I installed it on a car that originally came without it, without cutting into any wires, and then wired up improvised paddles through existing buttons on the steering wheel, I just wanted to know if there was a way to modify the programming, I guess you could say. I also already have Tom's tune so I'm aware of that fact.

That said, thank you for taking the time to respond. Sorry, if I came off a little stand-offish.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Mine stays in the selected gear until I hit redline (7500 RPM) or until the RPM falls below 1000 rpm. I can only assume this is a safely precaution to protect the trans/clutches. I don't autocross but like to drive with the illusion of having a manual trans. [mecry]

·
FF Affiliate
30,146 Posts
Mine stays in the selected gear until I hit redline (7500 RPM) or until the RPM falls below 1000 rpm. I can only assume this is a safely precaution to protect the trans/clutches. I don't autocross but like to drive with the illusion of having a manual trans. [mecry]
Do you have a Custom Tune in your car ?

Tom

·
FF Affiliate
30,146 Posts
I believe there's a misunderstanding, I don't want it to shift at all while I have it in SS unless I signal otherwise. Much like the GXP I had, it wouldn't shift on its own, it would hold gear selected until the seas dry. I'm aware of how the buttons of the system work as I installed it on a car that originally came without it, without cutting into any wires, and then wired up improvised paddles through existing buttons on the steering wheel, I just wanted to know if there was a way to modify the programming, I guess you could say. I also already have Tom's tune so I'm aware of that fact.

That said, thank you for taking the time to respond. Sorry, if I came off a little stand-offish.
Yes with my Custom tune I can get Sport mode to hold till you shift or till it gets to the rev limiter then it will shift anyway but you wont get the early 4500-5000 shifting it does now at WOT

Tom

·
Registered
39 Posts
not yet... I am planning on contacting you for one as soon as I get a few more parts on the car.

·
FF Affiliate
30,146 Posts
I tested this on my commute this morning. Mine will hold in 2nd gear. Didn't test 3rd because the speed limit lol.
Yes on mine it will hold 1st and 2nd 3rd shifts early and so does 4th

Tom

·
FF Affiliate
30,146 Posts
Not yet...

I am planning on hitting you up as soon as I get a few more parts put on the car.
Dont wait to get more parts you get free unlimited tune updates as you add more parts , begin enjoying the tune as you go

How are you hitting 7500 rpm on shifts with a DCT ? Or did you mean 6500 ?

Tom

·
Registered
39 Posts

Tom
I will have to re-test mine. I am pretty sure mine holds in all gears but it has been a while since I ran it like that. I know first and second are good, but am beginning to question my memory on 3rd and 4th.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Dont wait to get more parts you get free unlimited tune updates as you add more parts , begin enjoying the tune as you go

How are you hitting 7500 rom on shifts with a DCT ? Or did you mean 6500 ?

Tom
I have done a few WOT pulls in SS mode and am pretty sure it hit 7500. I could be wrong, it went pretty quick. As for waiting, it isn't just car parts I am waiting on. I am expecting baby 4 in a month and am going through a drastic financial refocus (Dave Ramsey) but should be ready in 4 or 5 months and by then I will be ready for the header/stat/tune and from there it should be just minor stuff.

·
Registered
39 Posts

Tom
Ok, I tested mine this morning on my way to work. Correction on my part 6500 rpm not 7500 rpm shift point. I did two pulls this morning (at WOT), one as I got on the interstate and one after I got off.

First run held in 1st to 6500, held in second to 6500, held in 3rd to 6500, 4th short shift (I had to let off).

Second run (from a stop) held 1st, 2nd, and 3rd to 6500. 4th held to about 5500ish before I came up on another car.

I also let it run a little long in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in town. 3rd held to 5500 before I had to slow for a light.

I got video of the first 2 runs that I am working on trimming and will post a link to the youtube video once published.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ok, I tested mine this morning on my way to work. Correction on my part 6500 rpm not 7500 rpm shift point. I did two pulls this morning (at WOT), one as I got on the interstate and one after I got off.

First run held in 1st to 6500, held in second to 6500, held in 3rd to 6500, 4th short shift (I had to let off).

Second run (from a stop) held 1st, 2nd, and 3rd to 6500. 4th held to about 5500ish before I came up on another car.

I also let it run a little long in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in town. 3rd held to 5500 before I had to slow for a light.

I got video of the first 2 runs that I am working on trimming and will post a link to the youtube video once published.

OK here is the video. Terrible camera angle ( I was using my GoPro chesty) but you can hear the shifts. I will try again soon testing different camera locations. This morning was kinda spontaneous. I apologize for the crappy video but here you go...

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Okay, I'm back, I dug up an old video of what I mean (excuse the crap driving [poke]), at 0:55, the GXP sits at redline, it wouldn't shift on its own, that's what I want, is it possible? I should probably give a headphone warning too, as it was exhaust dumped.

I should mention too, Tom, that I do have your tune, already.

·
Registered
8 Posts
also interested in this for circle track, wanna try a focus and be able to keep it in 3rd to 7500 rpm...along with a good circle track tune for 2014 focus, wanna make sure its doable.

·
FF Affiliate
30,146 Posts
Okay, I'm back, I dug up an old video of what I mean (excuse the crap driving [poke]), at 0:55, the GXP sits at redline, it wouldn't shift on its own, that's what I want, is it possible? I should probably give a headphone warning too, as it was exhaust dumped.

And this is an example of what I'm trying to avoid, little bit of wheelspin and it shifts, it'll do it around corners too. Don't mind Robert he's just hassling me because I DNF'd the previous run.

I should mention too, Tom, that I do have your tune, already.
The first Vid I didnt hear it shift

The Sec one I did very early , I wonder if the TC didnt play a part in that ???

Tom

1 - 20 of 23 Posts