Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DISCLAIMER: This thread is only partially performance related, but seeing as how the most knowledgeable SVT owners on the site hang out here I thought it would be the best place to put it.

I am currently looking to add an SVTf to my stable and am wondering if there is anything specific that I should look for to avoid or potential problems to check for when investigating the ones i'm looking at.

I know about the clutch/flywheel TSB but thats about it.

I've been looking at reasonably stock ones to use as an AutoX racer and occasional daily driver.

What performance parts that are potentially installed should I avoid? I know the Gude Turbo kit was garbage and I've turned one of those down thus far, but are there any other SVT secrets I should be aware of?

Thanks kids [thumb]

·
Registered
806 Posts
just an annoyance with mine, not a real problem; the heat shields come loose under the car, fixed within 5 minutes of finally identifying the problem. If your test driving one and you hear this crazy rattling sound from up its probably just a loose heat shield.

·
Registered
806 Posts
someone who knows more about it can tell you about spotting a broken DSI, that seems to be a significant problem with the svtf.

good luck and happy shopping man, you;ll love the car.... I sure do:)

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
hey evan since u just moved back to fl u can pm with ur number and i can call u with some common problems just liek last night when i was waiting for that tow truck lol

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
Hey if the heatshield is rattling that will give you a little bargaining room!

·
I.S.A.I.K.I.
5,413 Posts
Look for: Broken cat bracket, leaking VCT solenoid gasket (biggest culprit of oil pooling inside the sparkplug valley), get an ECU update if its not RLA6, check for a faulty fuel pump...

Other than the clutch TSB, the small things are easily repairable with little money.

·
Registered
978 Posts
most of the common problems are small stuff outside of the clutch, but they also seem to be more persistant in the 02's and 03's. and the first mod you do will have to be a tune

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
These are all true, but very fixable. The biggest issue is the clutch tsb. If you find one that youre considering, just send me the vin number and ill check to see what all was done under warranty.

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks a lot mike! I'm going to go check out a 1 of 51 Orange EAP right now! I'll give you a call on the VIN

·
I.S.A.I.K.I.
5,413 Posts
These are all true, but very fixable. The biggest issue is the clutch tsb. If you find one that youre considering, just send me the vin number and ill check to see what all was done under warranty.

I'm going to have to hit you up on this Mike, I need to know if mine's been done or if it's something I have to plan for in the future.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The heat shield on my cat rattled so bad so i just took it off, i also noticed the water build up above the plugs just shop vac'd it out and everything was good! Those were the only problems with my 04 SVTF.

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Drove the Comp Orange EAP ZX5 today and wow....amazing automobile. Few minor issues, the powdercoat on the valve cover is bubbling, the clutch master cylinder just started leaking, and the stock airbox is missing (he has a K&N intake on it). Other then that it is perfect.

Really don't want a 5-door and as much as I love how rare this particular SVT is, I'd be so damn scared to wreck it....

If i can find a silver ZX3 with Mach's (preferably an 04, EAP would be hot) it will be SOLD

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Oh...so rare and nice vehicle, but I hear ya on the 5 doors.
I don't think I've heard of the valve cover bubbling before.
I wonder if it was repainted?
There is a problem with the TB and CC cables rubbing the paint off though, so watch for that.

BTW, I don't know if you saw this in the "stickies" threads, but make sure to check it out if you didn't:
So you want to buy a used SVTF?

And, I put this in the Owners Lounge, since you haven't been buying performance parts...yet. [;)]

Just keep up the search and have some patience, you'll find the right SVTF for you eventually.

·
Registered
261 Posts
damn I wish I could have gotten my hands on a 5 door comp orange. I had to go with a silver 5 door since thats the only finish I could find here in Edmonton. Personally I like the way the 5 door looks more than the 3 door..I dont know why since usually im a 2 door kind of guy..

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There is a problem with the TB and CC cables rubbing the paint off though, so watch for that.

BTW, I don't know if you saw this in the "stickies" threads, but make sure to check it out if you didn't:

And, I put this in the Owners Lounge, since you haven't been buying performance parts...yet. [;)]

Just keep up the search and have some patience, you'll find the right SVTF for you eventually.
haha you thread moving skank...

as for the VC, I thought so too until I talked to Mike about it and he has had the same problem too and apparently it is common...

and damn, no i didn't see that stickie, i feel like such a n00b

·
Registered
191 Posts
i think shroeder02/mid atlantic is building an autox foci. maybe he could give some hints

·
Banned
1,671 Posts
I know a guy with the bubbling valve cover paint.....it looks funny and if you poke it with your finger you can move the bubble around lol

if the particular car you're looking at rattles, as mentioned it's probably the cat bracket, cat heat shield, or header het shield and can be VERY good bargainig points

on mine I've had to change a leaky thermostat housing, a leaky clutch master clinder, a sticking e-brake cable, and other stuff that are wear items like the clutch and timing belt.

Oh, and do a carfax on it. If it was EVER a northern (ie salted roads) car, DO NOT BUY IT. You'll thank yourself later.....mine was a Michigan car for a few years and a lot of bolts have been retardedly tough and a few have been impossible to get off

Good luck man

·
MW2 NE1?
1,612 Posts

My cover got a couple of bubbles on it. want to repaint it black when i get a chance some day. it didnt look like it has been repainted at all.

·
MW2 NE1?
1,612 Posts
Hey if the heatshield is rattling that will give you a little bargaining room!
all i did was get a couple of clamps together and wrapped that h--!!! a little over hand tight. the way it would rub up against the oil pan i kept thinking a pulley or belt were bout to go out. finally saw it was the shield rubbing on the pan and problem solved. no pulley or belt needing replaced

1 - 19 of 19 Posts