Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got an Alpine MRPT220 amp, a direct replacement for the one that got stolen a couple weeks ago. I hooked it up with all the same wires that were left from when they jacked my car. The amp was used for 3 weeks prior to me buying it. It worked fine when I installed it, worked when I drove to work. Halfway home from work my sub cut out, so I figured it was the sub. I got home and realized I blew a fuse........I put another one in and when I turned the radio on, I blew that fuse. I tried it one more time and blew another fuse. Anyone have any suggestions of why I blowing fuses?? I was thinking about taking it to Good Guys where I bought the original and had it installed and complain about it without telling them its not the original one I bought from them, maybe they'll fix it or replace it for free. I was hoping to get some info here so I didn't have to go that route though. Thanks everyone for any input you might have.

·
Registered
845 Posts
check your power cable for melting under your hood or abrasions at the firewall, then if you don't see anything, check farther down the cable toward the amp. It sounds like you are grounding out your power cable. A loose ground will turn your amp on/off, but it shouldn't pop fuses like that.

·
Registered
511 Posts
It's def. a lose wire or wires touching. That happened to me before. Go through and check all of the wires...... and get some eletric tape!

·
Mr. Wizard
937 Posts
yup, that is the problem, you are grounding (also known as shorting) and when that happens, you'll blow fuses to protect the system.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found out the problem. I went to the guy that installed the amp the first time. I put in a sub right now, til my new one gets here.......well the sub is not compatible with the amp.......so the amp was blowing fuses to protect from overheating and killing itself. Thank you guys for your help.

·
Registered
845 Posts
?? I don't get it ?? BUT I'm glad you got it working. Were you drawing too much current for the fuse to handle?

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's what I'm guessing but I don't know much about amps. He hooked up some thing to my amp and it read out 2 ohms, my amp is rated at 4 ohms.........so he told me I need a sub at 4 ohms, which the one I'm waiting on is.......I just checked it.

·
Registered
845 Posts
aahhh...okay, it's good you didn't damage your amp. Still do a check on those wires if someone yanked your last system, cause there could still be damage that you'll need to tape, or next time you pop a fuse, it could do more damage to the rest of your electical system.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah I checked everything after you guys suggested it and found no problems with any wires. That's why I decided to go to Good Guys, and he checked all the wires and said everything looked good. I guess I'll really find out when my new sub arrives and I connect that.

·
Registered
310 Posts
If they stole your amp, then chances are they weren't very neat about it. It could be that the negative and the positive wires touched on their way outta the amp. If thats it, then you can get that repaired at any stereo shop for about $60.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Theyt were very neatr about it......go figure, but I got it all sorted out. Check my post above.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts