Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had the eibach pro springs and shocks installed (with camber plates and camber bolts). very happy with the new feel, my previous set-up had svt springs and shocks. however, upon inspecting the strut towers under the hood, i noticed that the new camber plates are not centered in the middle of the strut tower (the center bolt) like the old oem ones were. i guess this is due to the new ride height. but upon closer inspection, the center of the camber plates are not even matching one another. when facing the motor, looking toward the windshield, (right and left are reversed) the left center bold is in the 11 o'clock position and the right is in the 3 o'clock position.
is this a non-issue or should i have them repaired (re-alligned) before future wear and tear occurs?

·
Focus Fanatic
7,252 Posts
I think I can help you out on this one. I also have the eibach pro kit springs, dampers, and camber kit. The passenger side bolt should be in the 9 o'clock position, and the drivers side should be in the 3 o'clock position. So, yours is close at least. When I got my alignment, I asked the shop to get my camber as close to perfect as they could. If you havent done your alignment yet, I'd ask the shop to do that for you. Just make sure to tell them that your car is lowered and that you do have camber kits on the front and rear. They should be able to fix it for you.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so the bolt position does affect the camber? the current positioning of the bolts is after the alignment...the front alignment specs:

left front:
camber: -0.1 degree
caster: 4.0 degrees
toe: -0.08 degrees

right front:
camber: -0.1 degree
caster: 3.0 degrees
toe: -0.07 degrees

cross camber: 0.0 degrees
cross caster: -1.0 degrees
total toe: -0.15

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
so the bolt position does affect the camber?
^^^ Yes, very much so. [;)]

Are you planning on AutoCrossing or other type Road Racing at all?
If so, you might want to dial in more negative camber.
They've got you set pretty straight up right now, which is good for tire wear...
but not so good for taking corners at a spirited rate of speed...

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wd40- no, i am not planning on AutoCrossing, but spirited driving along mountain roads? Is that going to suffer with my current alignment?

tire wear vs. handling...
hmmm. i would be happy with low tire wear for now, and eventually work toward handling in the future. before i had the eibach pro suspension installed i was experiencing uneven tire wear, and without knowing what my previous alignment specs were, i had nothing to suggest to the tire shop for desired new specs - i wasn't sure how much negative camber i could get away with.
so, if tire wear isn't an issue, then is the position of the center bolt within the strut tower a major issue, or am i golden with these specs (for tire wear, if not cornering)?

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
You're golden with tire wear at -0.1° camber.
For better handling, without much sacrifice to tire wear, bump it up to -0.5° to -0.75°.
In fact, I'm running right at -1.0° on mine, and don't see any abnormalities on the front tires.

For AutoCrossing, there's some folks running as much as -2.5° to -3°, but that will FRY your tires on the street...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts