Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
thats the fuel cut off switch... when you are in an accident that trips the switch and you usually have to hit that reset button to reset everything to start your car again.

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Weird - you're missing the little plastic "door" that snaps in the top. (Actually, not too weird, as it gets kicked off easily...)

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Weird - you're missing the little plastic "door" that snaps in the top. (Actually, not too weird, as it gets kicked off easily...)

I guess mine did not come with the little door.

Ford has been putting this on cars and trucks since the mid 80s. This was done in response to the Ford Fireball, I mean Pinto. There were many cases when the Pinto was hit in the rear, the bumper and/or a screw would puncture the gas tank and cause it to erupt into flames. This is also a safety device that shuts off the fuel when the vehicle is hit in the rear.

·
Registered
744 Posts
When I was rear ended last year that freaking thing went off... had a hurt wife, the idiot who hit me (still on his phone after hitting my 6 month old car) yelling at me and cars honking... I forgot about it lol. $8000 in damage later... the kid lost his license, my wife and I got money out of progressive and my car eats through tires still :( But the moral of the story is... when you are in an accident you forget about that stupid little button easily lol.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
> This was done in response to the Ford Fireball, I mean Pinto.

Not really.

It was done due to the use of fuel injection, resulting in wide application of electric fuel pumps that could remain on after an accident.

The Pinto used a mechanical fuel pump, not electric.

And the Pinto issue was, as you noted, bursting of the fuel tank due to physical force in an accident, not with continued pumping of fuel after an accident.

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
actually, SVTF's did NOT come with the cap. I looked in the manual and they didn't even have it in the exploded view if I remember correctly....and that bitch is $25.......trust me i looked around....

It seems after around 2003 they stopped adding them to the cars.

·
Registered
206 Posts
My friends tempo got rear ended once from a kid who's parents had just bought a VW, the car needed moved and I was the only one who thought about the fuel cut off and wear to look. I was slick as hell for 5 minutes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts