Focus Fanatics Forum banner

121 - 140 of 2130 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
What is V-Power/Optimax?

I normally use Shell but I don't pay attention to their goofy product names (that are made up by some marketing dork). I only pay attention to the numbers 87, 89, and 91.
In the video, did you see the video?, Optimax is/was the Shell premium in Europe. It was later rebranded V-Power, and that is how Shell premium is marketed in the US.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Higher Octane Fuel Improves Gas Mileage And/Or Performance?

Hello,
I love all of the new technology that is in the 2012 Focus. I was wandering if the twin independent variable camshaft timing (Ti-VCT) & direct injection will take advantange of the higher octane fuel by using less fuel and/or providing better engine performance.

I tried 89 octane with no noticeable improvements.
Will 92+ octane help or hurt?

Thank you.

[loveff]

·
Ford Fiend
2,976 Posts
Try searching. There have been many discussions already about this.

·
Sonic Mk3 Crew #03
1,842 Posts
Many many discussions. Its a high compression motor 93 should put out more powerI but Noone knows how much the timing if any advances with 93.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I prefer to use 93 octane as it does seem to get better gas mileage.
Plenty of arguments from folks who think only a fool would waste money on premium...
So all I can say is try it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
i am now into my second tank of 89 octane and it does seem to run better with better mileage over the 87 i was using .... but i am also still in the break-in period.

only 2999 miles so far.

i really like this car ... fun to drive.

·
Rebecca
18,758 Posts
I just put in 93 yesterday to try it. Felt good. I think I will give it a couple tanks to see mileage/performance differences. Performance is going to be biased since I am installing my intake tonight

·
Registered
89 Posts
If your engine is not knocking and/or pinging there will be no difference in using 87 Vs 93 octane. The only thing the higher octane would do is reduce a tendancy for pre-detonation (knocking/pinging). The engine is designed/engineered to use 87, anything more would be a waste of money.

·
Rebecca
18,758 Posts
^^^ this is why there are multiple threads and arguments on this subject. I don't know if I buy it, so I'd figure i'd try it since gas has dropped quite a bit here.

·
Ford Fiend
2,976 Posts
If your engine is not knocking and/or pinging there will be no difference in using 87 Vs 93 octane. The only thing the higher octane would do is reduce a tendancy for pre-detonation (knocking/pinging). The engine is designed/engineered to use 87, anything more would be a waste of money.
So, you're saying that there's no way the ignition can advance more than what is required for 87 octane? I call BS. Even the owners manual states that higher octane will provide improved performance. The Focus wouldn't be a true FFV vehicle if it didn't have that ability.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Sam old argument never changes. Dozens say the same thing, while dozens of others say using Premium does make enough of a difference to buy it.
So what? who cares? [neener]

·
Registered
143 Posts
With the 87/93 price gap closing around here, I run 93 (10% ethanol) to smooth out the engine at low speeds.

I haven't seen any mileage improvements but it does noticeably improve the ride around car parks and the like.

·
Ford Fiend
2,976 Posts
So what? who cares? [neener]
We do--those of us who are participating in the discussion. If you don't, then you can make the decision to not read or participate in any of the discussions about it.

It's that simple. If you don't like the radio station you're listening to, change the station. Isn't freedom of choice a great thing? [cool]

121 - 140 of 2130 Posts